What IDE do you use? (semi-OT)

123

What IDE do you use? (semi-OT)

Serg Kovrov

Hello everybody, sorry if it may sounds a bit of off-topic, but
still...

I'd like to know what editor/IDE Django users (and developers) uses on
daily basis, to boost development process. And why exactly - what
features you find useful, how it helps you to save time (or just makes
coding enjoyable, which probably increase productivity as well). Kind
of best practices in terms of tools.

Personally, I use EditPlus (Windows). Not really IDE, but I like it's
minimalistic beauty. At least I see it so. But often I feel like I miss
project-level code navigation (like Class Explorer in VisualC++). Code
completion perhaps could be useful (not sure yet).

I have (periodically in fact) tried Komodo (3.5, 4.0) Eclipse (pydev,
trustudio), and recently WingIDE. But for different reasons I'm not
happy with them...

Thanks,
-- serg.

Re: What IDE do you use? (semi-OT)

Eugene Pyvovarov

I'm using VIM 7 under Windows XP and under my Ubuntu linux and I love
this editor!
It's very nice, fast and can  do many nice things...and ofcourse it is
very customizable!

Re: What IDE do you use? (semi-OT)

John Sutherland

On 8 Oct 2006, at 23:22, Serg Kovrov wrote:
> I'd like to know what editor/IDE Django users (and developers) uses on
> daily basis, to boost development process. And why exactly - what
> features you find useful, how it helps you to save time (or just makes
> coding enjoyable, which probably increase productivity as well). Kind
> of best practices in terms of tools.

You cannot beat TextMate [1] on OSX and SciTE [2] on Windows and Linux.

Must have features for me are:
1. Syntax highlighting
2. Completion (Tab in TextMate and Ctrl-B in SciTE)
3. Minimalism, as little else other than code on screen.

Hope that helps.
John.

[1] <http://www.macromates.com/>
[2] <http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html>

Re: What IDE do you use? (semi-OT)

limodou

On 10/9/06, Serg Kovrov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everybody, sorry if it may sounds a bit of off-topic, but
> still...
>
> I'd like to know what editor/IDE Django users (and developers) uses on
> daily basis, to boost development process. And why exactly - what
> features you find useful, how it helps you to save time (or just makes
> coding enjoyable, which probably increase productivity as well). Kind
> of best practices in terms of tools.
>
> Personally, I use EditPlus (Windows). Not really IDE, but I like it's
> minimalistic beauty. At least I see it so. But often I feel like I miss
> project-level code navigation (like Class Explorer in VisualC++). Code
> completion perhaps could be useful (not sure yet).
>
> I have (periodically in fact) tried Komodo (3.5, 4.0) Eclipse (pydev,
> trustudio), and recently WingIDE. But for different reasons I'm not
> happy with them...
>
> Thanks,
> -- serg.

Maybe you can try UliPad. I'v finished django template syntax
highlight. And it has many features, just like class browser,
directory browser, project settings, other language syntax support,
just like html, css, js, etc. auto complete, rst support.

For django, you can create django project in wizard(wziard is a plugin
you need to enable it), set django project in directory browser, start
develop server in directory, view the dot image of the model

--
I like python!
UliPad <<The Python Editor>>: http://wiki.woodpecker.org.cn/moin/UliPad

Re: What IDE do you use? (semi-OT)

James Bennett

On 10/8/06, Serg Kovrov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'd like to know what editor/IDE Django users (and developers) uses on
> daily basis, to boost development process. And why exactly - what
> features you find useful, how it helps you to save time (or just makes
> coding enjoyable, which probably increase productivity as well). Kind
> of best practices in terms of tools.

Emacs.

It's got all the "standard" features: syntax highlighting,
indentation, etc., but it's also got so much more. The
text-manipulation things it can do run circles around everything else,
it's got support for Subversion and WebDAV, it has an insanely
powerful editing file browser built-in... nothing else comes close.

--
"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
  -- George Carlin

Re: What IDE do you use? (semi-OT)

Martin Winkler-4

> I'd like to know what editor/IDE Django users (and developers) uses on
> daily basis,

I love Vim (Linux and if necessary Windows) since about 4 years.
Main reasons:

* super fast because of the sophisticated motion keys and
  multi-line editing (visualmode I)

* filetype plugins for django-html and of course python

* nice folding of python code

* Iabbr <C-b> {% <> %}    and    Iabbr <C-f> {{ <> }}
  for quickly inserting django blocks/tags into templates

* I could go on endlessly...

The bad thing with vim is a relatively steep learning curve
at the beginning, but after a short while I began to love this editor
for its many features and external plugins. ("dbext" for database access
inside the editor, and "vtreeexplorer" for a nice vertical hierarchical
file selector, "taglist", "pydoc", ...)

Martin

Re: What IDE do you use? (semi-OT)

Malcolm Tredinnick

On Sun, 2006-10-08 at 19:45 -0500, James Bennett wrote:

> On 10/8/06, Serg Kovrov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I'd like to know what editor/IDE Django users (and developers) uses on
> > daily basis, to boost development process. And why exactly - what
> > features you find useful, how it helps you to save time (or just makes
> > coding enjoyable, which probably increase productivity as well). Kind
> > of best practices in terms of tools.
>
> Emacs.
>
> It's got all the "standard" features: syntax highlighting,
> indentation, etc., but it's also got so much more. The
> text-manipulation things it can do run circles around everything else,
> it's got support for Subversion and WebDAV, it has an insanely
> powerful editing file browser built-in... nothing else comes close.

Isn't there a risk of drowning if you drink as much of the Emacs
Kool-Aid as you clearly have been doing?

Malcolm

Re: What IDE do you use? (semi-OT)

beyking@gmail.com

UliPad is very good!

Re: What IDE do you use? (semi-OT)

iain duncan

> > It's got all the "standard" features: syntax highlighting,
> > indentation, etc., but it's also got so much more. The
> > text-manipulation things it can do run circles around everything else,
> > it's got support for Subversion and WebDAV, it has an insanely
> > powerful editing file browser built-in... nothing else comes close.
>
> Isn't there a risk of drowning if you drink as much of the Emacs
> Kool-Aid as you clearly have been doing?

Ha ha, too funny. Yup, vim all the way. YMMV. Oops, not supposed to say
that in holy wars am I? God uses vim and he is on my side! ;)

On a serious note, I use:
- fluxbox on linux
- heavily pimped out gvim ( ie much customization )
- the python interface for gvim ( allows running a python interpreter
within vim that can in turn call methods on the vim buffers ).

I find the above combo very handy because fluxbox is very easy to
re-key, as is vim, and it is also easy to run python code from within
vim and on the vim buffers. Then I leave open three windows of locked
docs, one of terminals ( pydev server, mysql client, linux filesystem ),
one of vims, and one of browser. I have a vim function mapped to do all
the typical djangoey things, resync db, restart apache, reload page on
browser etc.

I am looking into the python controlled window manager though, perhaps
that would be even quicker. And I want to add remote control of the
macintosh lappy for instant previews of all browsers ( css compatibility
and all that crap. )

Iain

Re: Re: What IDE do you use? (semi-OT)

James Bennett

On 10/8/06, iain duncan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> - the python interface for gvim ( allows running a python interpreter
> within vim that can in turn call methods on the vim buffers ).

Hooray for C-c C-c in Emacs!

On 10/8/06, Malcolm Tredinnick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Isn't there a risk of drowning if you drink as much of the Emacs
> Kool-Aid as you clearly have been doing?

Actually, I haven't drunk the Kool-Aid yet. I do have the track suit
and the sneakers, though.

On Sun, 2006-08-10 at 21:39 -0500, James Bennett wrote:
> On 10/8/06, iain duncan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > - the python interface for gvim ( allows running a python interpreter
> > within vim that can in turn call methods on the vim buffers ).
>
> Hooray for C-c C-c in Emacs!

I was mentioning it to let other people know about it, not to convert
you or continue the ridiculous holy war. Many vim users are not aware
that you can host a session within the editor and control the editor
itself from python. I don't actually care what editor you use and don't
see how the above comment really helps anyone. Am I likely to look that
up in an emacs manual just because of your zealousness?

Iain

Re: Re: What IDE do you use? (semi-OT)

Milton Waddams

I use eric3 for my python work, jEdit for templates.

I only use the basic features of eric (projects and editing). I use it
because it is easy and works well.

I use Ubuntu. I think eric is available on windows (it's written in
python) though I've never tried it.

http://www.die-offenbachs.de/detlev/eric3.html
http://www.jedit.org

On 10/9/06, iain duncan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-08-10 at 21:39 -0500, James Bennett wrote:
> > On 10/8/06, iain duncan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > - the python interface for gvim ( allows running a python interpreter
> > > within vim that can in turn call methods on the vim buffers ).
> >
> > Hooray for C-c C-c in Emacs!
> >

> I was mentioning it to let other people know about it, not to convert
> you or continue the ridiculous holy war. Many vim users are not aware
> that you can host a session within the editor and control the editor
> itself from python. I don't actually care what editor you use and don't
> see how the above comment really helps anyone. Am I likely to look that
> up in an emacs manual just because of your zealousness?
>
> Iain

Re: Re: Re: What IDE do you use? (semi-OT)

James Bennett

On 10/8/06, iain duncan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was mentioning it to let other people know about it, not to convert
> you or continue the ridiculous holy war. Many vim users are not aware
> that you can host a session within the editor and control the editor
> itself from python.

And I was pointing out the Emacs function for the same reason; being
able to spawn a language interpreter from your editor is a powerful
thing.

--
"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
  -- George Carlin

Re: What IDE do you use? (semi-OT)

kenneth gonsalves

On 09-Oct-06, at 3:52 AM, Serg Kovrov wrote:

> I'd like to know what editor/IDE Django users (and developers)

eric3 and quanta

--

regards
kg

Re: What IDE do you use? (semi-OT)

Kjell Magne Fauske

At the moment, my favourite Windows python editor is PyScripter[1]. It
has code completion, class navigation, integrated debugger, and is
compact, fast and free.

[1] http://mmm-experts.com/Products.aspx?ProductId=4

- Kjell Magne Fauske

Re: What IDE do you use? (semi-OT)

LaundroMat

Another vote for PyScripter if you're working in Windows. I still have
to work out how to integrate the integrated command line interface with
Django (so that it equals manage.py runshell in functionality).

Re: What IDE do you use? (semi-OT)

Michael Radziej

I like KDevelop, for Linux. Works also fine for django templates.
Has syntax highlighting, class browsing, ctags, bookmarks, and
all the usual editor stuff. I really like the class browser for
looking up source code within django--Alt+C, start entering the
class name, and you're there.

But I also use emacs, jmacs and vi if they suit the job better.

Michael

Re: What IDE do you use? (semi-OT)

limodou

On 10/9/06, Michael Radziej <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I like KDevelop, for Linux. Works also fine for django templates.
> Has syntax highlighting, class browsing, ctags, bookmarks, and
> all the usual editor stuff. I really like the class browser for
> looking up source code within django--Alt+C, start entering the
> class name, and you're there.
>
> But I also use emacs, jmacs and vi if they suit the job better.
>

> Michael

Does anybody here has tried UliPad? I'v released 3.4 version just now.
You can try it.

--
I like python!
UliPad <<The Python Editor>>: http://wiki.woodpecker.org.cn/moin/UliPad
My Blog: http://www.donews.net/limodou

Re: What IDE do you use? (semi-OT)

Caz-3

I currently use Notepad++ in Windows, it is based on Scintilla so the
editor is very similar to scite. The nice thing about the editor is
that it is very python friendly wrt to indentation, indentation guides
and folding. Very minimalistic and has the nice Firefox approach to
tabbing (Middle mouse click to close a file). It has syntax hilighting
and is free. http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

Its big advantage for me is that it has an easy plugin interface
through which i've created a plugin that can run python. The python
then has access to the editor context and content. So its easy to
create little python scripts that does things for me in the editor.
Python's become my editor scripting language.

123