What are the implications of Jython going PyPy?

What are the implications of Jython going PyPy?

Leo User
howdy,

I just thought Id toss this out in the open since Ive
seen some talk about Jython becoming implemented like
PyPy.  First off, I don't know much about PyPy but
from the sounds of it, its about implementing Python
in itself.  I guess having Jython do the same thing is
to have Jython be implemented in itself.  So this
comes to my big question:
What would going in that direction mean for tools
built on top of Jython.

Ive got 2 classes of apps in mind:
1. Those that just use Jython as Jython.  jyleo, for
example.
2. Those that build using the Jython classes.  jyleo's
JythonShell is an example here.  Its pure Java and
uses alot of Jython's Java classes to acheive its
integration.

Im surmising a goal of going PyPy would be to make #1
class apps work fine.  But what are the implications
of #2?  Does my valuable code suddenly become a thing
that can't jump into the future?  Granted there will
probably be work between jython version to jython
version to have it work.  I had to do some recoding to
get it to work from jython 2.1 to jython 2.2.

What about other Java apps that embed Jython in
themselves and do like the JythonShell does and uses
Jython's Java classes?

thanks!
leouser

Re: What are the implications of Jython going PyPy?

fwierzbicki@gmail.com
> Ive got 2 classes of apps in mind:
> 1. Those that just use Jython as Jython.  jyleo, for
> example.
> 2. Those that build using the Jython classes.  jyleo's
> JythonShell is an example here.  Its pure Java and
> uses alot of Jython's Java classes to acheive its
> integration.
>
> Im surmising a goal of going PyPy would be to make #1
> class apps work fine.

> But what are the implications
> of #2?

First off, I think a full-blown production-ready PyPy-Jython (JyJy?)
is something that is a long way off in the future and even that
pre-supposes that it makes sense to do (Personally I think it would be
a good thing, but I don't know that much about PyPy yet).

Someone would have to do bunch of work to get a JyJy that even runs
basic python code on the JVM, and probably quite a bit more to get the
Java-integration worked out.  I expect a fair amount of code would
probably be pulled from the current Jython in order to get the
Java-integration.

> Does my valuable code suddenly become a thing
> that can't jump into the future?  Granted there will
> probably be work between jython version to jython
> version to have it work.  I had to do some recoding to
> get it to work from jython 2.1 to jython 2.2.

I'd say there are huge unknowns that make an answer to this question
difficult.  But I also think a JyJy is a long, long way off, and even
if it got off of the ground, it would not mean that Jython in its
current form would fade away.  Even if Jython-current did fade it
would happen very slowly, if at all.

-Frank

Re: What are the implications of Jython going PyPy?

Leo User
Slow is good.  I do some Java collab work with Sun in
the Peabody project and if you submit a patch for a
bug or an implementation of an RFE one thing you have
to be careful of is not breaking backwards
compatibility.  If the JyJy change pace happens at a
rate where I don't have to start over from scratch
than my tummy doesn't quiver as much. :D

thanks,
leouser