Where do newbies go to ask questions?

Andy Skogrand

I have a fairly simple question to ask, and I dont know where to ask
it.

Essentially my issue is that I went through the Django Tutorial:
http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/tutorial2/

and I created the polls app and then stated inside it models.py that it
could be editable by the admin panel     class Admin:
        pass
but the admin panel isnt picking it up. There is nothing popping up.
Where and what can I do to check that I have set this sucker up right?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Where do newbies go to ask questions?

Russell Keith-Magee-2

On 10/12/06, Andy Skogrand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a fairly simple question to ask, and I dont know where to ask
> it.

This mailing list is one of the places worth trying. Timezone
permitting, the IRC channel can also be a useful resource for
newcomers.

> Essentially my issue is that I went through the Django Tutorial:
> http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/tutorial2/
>
> and I created the polls app and then stated inside it models.py that it
> could be editable by the admin panel     class Admin:
>         pass
> but the admin panel isnt picking it up. There is nothing popping up.
> Where and what can I do to check that I have set this sucker up right?

Some common errors:
1) Have you added the application to your INSTALLED_APPS setting?
2) Have you forgotten to run ./manage.py syncdb?
3a) (if you are using the development webserver) Does the server
indicate that it has identified the model change and reloaded?
Alternatively, have you restarted the webserver since making the
change to the model?
3b) (if you are using Apache, rather than the development webserver)
have you restarted Apache?

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

Re: Where do newbies go to ask questions?

Andy Skogrand

> 3a) (if you are using the development webserver) Does the server
> indicate that it has identified the model change and reloaded?
> Alternatively, have you restarted the webserver since making the
> change to the model?

I was running around not understanding what had gone wrong, and I
stumbled across what I gathered to be a pretty important command.

pkill python

and just like that, it all came together. Reseting the server seems to
have done it. Thanks so much for your help and I plan on being back
here when I once again overstep my abilites!

Andy

Re: Where do newbies go to ask questions?

kenneth gonsalves

On 12-Oct-06, at 12:19 PM, Andy Skogrand wrote:

> I have a fairly simple question to ask, and I dont know where to ask
> it.

come to #django on freenode

--

regards