Where does pyqt5qmlplugin.dll get the python executable path?

Where does pyqt5qmlplugin.dll get the python executable path?

Russell Warren
I've been able to get qmlscene plugins working on Linux, but am now trying to get them working on Windows and am having trouble, particularly when in a virtualenv,

I'm running qmlscene.exe within a virtualenv where my PATH clearly references the python I want to use (with related site-packages)... yet pyqt5qmlplugin.dll is somehow finding and launching my <foo>plugin.py file with a completely different python path. This is apparent not just from it not working, but from sneaking a peak at the site-packages dir used by the plugin;py file in sys.path.

Where/how does pyqt5qmlplugin.dll get the path to the python executable to run the requisite `<foo>plugin.py` file?

Thanks,
Russ

Re: Where does pyqt5qmlplugin.dll get the python executable path?

Phil Thompson-5
On 8 Jan 2019, at 9:38 pm, Russell Warren <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been able to get qmlscene plugins working on Linux, but am now trying to get them working on Windows and am having trouble, particularly when in a virtualenv,
>
> I'm running qmlscene.exe within a virtualenv where my PATH clearly references the python I want to use (with related site-packages)... yet pyqt5qmlplugin.dll is somehow finding and launching my <foo>plugin.py file with a completely different python path. This is apparent not just from it not working, but from sneaking a peak at the site-packages dir used by the plugin;py file in sys.path.
>
> Where/how does pyqt5qmlplugin.dll get the path to the python executable to run the requisite `<foo>plugin.py` file?

It doesn't. It dynamically loads the shared library the path of which is determined by configure.py.

Phil

Re: Where does pyqt5qmlplugin.dll get the python executable path?

Russell Warren

It doesn't. It dynamically loads the shared library the path of which is determined by configure.py.

Just to confirm I understand... Does this mean that the python shared library path is hard coded into the qml plugin library at compile time?

On 9 Jan 2019, at 12:02 pm, Russell Warren <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It doesn't. It dynamically loads the shared library the path of which is determined by configure.py.
>
> Just to confirm I understand... Does this mean that the python shared library path is hard coded into the qml plugin library at compile time?

Yes.

Phil