Who wants to do Pycon wrap-up talks Thursday?

Who wants to do Pycon wrap-up talks Thursday?

Tony Cappellini-2

At the Baypiggies meetings which follow Pycon, we have generally done quick talks about interesting presentations from Pycon.
This year will be no exception.

If you would like to talk about your favorite (or least-favorite) Pycon tutorial/presentation/sprint/activity
at the Baypiggies meeting Thursday March 22, please respond to this email.

The talks should be brief (5-15 minutes), no slides necessary.

Thanks

Re: Who wants to do Pycon wrap-up talks Thursday?

Jeffrey Fischer
Tony,
 I can summarize some of the PyCon talks this Thursday. Here's a few that I feel comfortable enough to speak about:
Depending on how much detail you want, that could be 10 - 20 minutes total. I could also talk a little bit about what I learned about PyPy, although others may be better qualified to speak to that (I only went to the JIT talk and David Beazley's keynote).

It might also be fun to talk about which talks we found most insightful or entertaining. For example, I really enjoyed David Beazley's keynote and also the talk "Militarizing Your Backyard with Python: Computer Vision and the Squirrel Hordes".

Thanks,
Jeff

Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 23:10:29 -0700
From: Tony Cappellini <[hidden email]>
To: Baypiggies <[hidden email]>
Subject: [Baypiggies] Who wants to do Pycon wrap-up talks Thursday?

At the Baypiggies meetings which follow Pycon, we have generally done quick
talks about interesting presentations from Pycon.
This year will be no exception.

If you would like to talk about your favorite (or least-favorite) Pycon
tutorial/presentation/sprint/activity
at the Baypiggies meeting Thursday March 22, please respond to this email.

The talks should be brief (5-15 minutes), no slides necessary.

Thanks

End of Baypiggies Digest, Vol 77, Issue 8

Re: Who wants to do Pycon wrap-up talks Thursday?

Yannick Gingras
On 03/18/2012 11:10 PM, Tony Cappellini wrote:
> If you would like to talk about your favorite (or least-favorite)
> Pycon tutorial/presentation/sprint/activity
> at the Baypiggies meeting Thursday March 22, please respond to this email.
>
> The talks should be brief (5-15 minutes), no slides necessary.

I'm only 60% sure that I'll make it but I could do a 5mins talk on
"PyCon – behind the scene". I'll confirm by Wednesday at noon.

--
Yannick Gingras
PyCon 2012 Co-Chair

Re: Who wants to do Pycon wrap-up talks Thursday?

wesley chun
if there's any time after everyone else's review, i took some notes from the keynotes (guido's, paul graham's) as well as raymond hettinger's advanced python tutorials, senthil's talk about updates to the stdlib, the talk on ML & Python, and the talk on Python on Windows.

cheers,
-- wesley

"A computer never does what you want... only what you tell it."
    wesley chun : wescpy at gmail : @wescpy/+wescpy

    Python training & consulting : CyberwebConsulting.com
    "Core Python" books : CorePython.com
    Python-flavored blog: wescpy.blogspot.com

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Yannick Gingras <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 03/18/2012 11:10 PM, Tony Cappellini wrote:
If you would like to talk about your favorite (or least-favorite) Pycon tutorial/presentation/sprint/activity
at the Baypiggies meeting Thursday March 22, please respond to this email.

The talks should be brief (5-15 minutes), no slides necessary.

I'm only 60% sure that I'll make it but I could do a 5mins talk on "PyCon – behind the scene". I'll confirm by Wednesday at noon.

--
Yannick Gingras
PyCon 2012 Co-Chair

Re: Who wants to do Pycon wrap-up talks Thursday?

jim stockford

I could probably give a two to five minute
summary of the Friday morning noobs, music,
and inside the interpreter talks (track 3).

On Sun, 2012-03-18 at 23:10 -0700, Tony Cappellini wrote:

> At the Baypiggies meetings which follow Pycon, we have generally done
> quick talks about interesting presentations from Pycon.
> This year will be no exception.
>

> If you would like to talk about your favorite (or least-favorite)
> Pycon tutorial/presentation/sprint/activity
> at the Baypiggies meeting Thursday March 22, please respond to this
> email.
>

> The talks should be brief (5-15 minutes), no slides necessary.
>

> Thanks

Re: Who wants to do Pycon wrap-up talks Thursday?

Akkana Peck
Tony Cappellini writes:
> If you would like to talk about your favorite (or least-favorite) Pycon
> tutorial/presentation/sprint/activity
> at the Baypiggies meeting Thursday March 22, please respond to this email.

I could do a quick summary of "What you need to know about
datetimes", "Pragmatic Unicode, or, How do I stop the pain?",
and my own talk on GIMP-python.

        ...Akkana

Re: Who wants to do Pycon wrap-up talks Thursday?

Simeon Franklin
I'd be happy to do a recap of the Pandas tutorial I went to...

-regards
Simeon Franklin

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 12:50 PM, jim <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I could probably give a two to five minute
> summary of the Friday morning noobs, music,
> and inside the interpreter talks (track 3).
>

> On Sun, 2012-03-18 at 23:10 -0700, Tony Cappellini wrote:
>>
>> At the Baypiggies meetings which follow Pycon, we have generally done
>> quick talks about interesting presentations from Pycon.
>> This year will be no exception.
>>

>> If you would like to talk about your favorite (or least-favorite)
>> Pycon tutorial/presentation/sprint/activity
>> at the Baypiggies meeting Thursday March 22, please respond to this
>> email.
>>

>> The talks should be brief (5-15 minutes), no slides necessary.
>>

>> Thanks

Re: Who wants to do Pycon wrap-up talks Thursday?

Tony Cappellini-2
Thanks to everyone who replied to give a Pycon 2012 Wrap up talk.

Jeff Fischer - Stop Writing Classes, Interfaces & Python, Social Network Analyses

Yanick Gingras - Pycon- Behind The Scense

Wesley Chun - Guido's keynote, Paul Graham's keynote, Ray Hettinger's Advanced Python tutorial

Jim Stockford - Music, inside the interpreter

Simeon Franklin - Pandas

Akkana Peck - Datetimes, Unicode, GIMP-Python

We may want to limit each person's time to 10 minutes, so that everyone gets a chance to talk.
When all have finished their first topic, start over with the first presenter- with the next topic....

Re: Who wants to do Pycon wrap-up talks Thursday?

Jeff Fischer

Tony,
 What is your thinking regarding slides for tonight? Given the frequent speaker switches, changing laptops could take up much of the time. Do you want us to forgo slides tonight? Or should be print them on a USB stick and share a computer?

Thanks!
 - Jeff

On 03/22/2012 09:34 AM, Jeff Fischer wrote:
> Tony,
>  What is your thinking regarding slides for tonight? Given the
> frequent speaker switches, changing laptops could take up much of the
> time. Do you want us to forgo slides tonight? Or should be print them
> on a USB stick and share a computer?

I won't use any slides so that one less problem to worry about.

--
Yannick Gingras
PyCon 2012 Co-Chair

Re: Who wants to do Pycon wrap-up talks Thursday?

jim stockford

I will not have any slides.

On Thu, 2012-03-22 at 09:34 -0700, Jeff Fischer wrote:

> Tony,
>  What is your thinking regarding slides for tonight? Given the
> frequent speaker switches, changing laptops could take up much of the
> time. Do you want us to forgo slides tonight? Or should be print them
> on a USB stick and share a computer?
>

> Thanks!
>  - Jeff
>
>         From: Tony Cappellini <[hidden email]>
>         To: Baypiggies <[hidden email]>
>         Subject: Re: [Baypiggies] Who wants to do Pycon wrap-up talks
>                Thursday?
>
>         Thanks to everyone who replied to give a Pycon 2012 Wrap up
>         talk.
>

>         Jeff Fischer - Stop Writing Classes, Interfaces & Python,
>         Social Network
>         Analyses
>
>         Yanick Gingras - Pycon- Behind The Scense
>
>         Wesley Chun - Guido's keynote, Paul Graham's keynote, Ray
>         Hettinger's
>         Advanced Python tutorial
>
>         Jim Stockford - Music, inside the interpreter
>
>         Simeon Franklin - Pandas
>
>         Akkana Peck - Datetimes, Unicode, GIMP-Python
>

>         We may want to limit each person's time to 10 minutes, so that
>         everyone
>         gets a chance to talk.
>         When all have finished their first topic, start over with the
>         first
>         presenter- with the next topic....

Re: Who wants to do Pycon wrap-up talks Thursday?

Shannon -jj Behrens
I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it tonight, but if I do, I have notes for almost every talk I attended.  I usually try to blog them at (jjinux.blogspot.com), but I haven't done it quite yet.

-jj

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 12:34 PM, Tony Cappellini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks to everyone who replied to give a Pycon 2012 Wrap up talk.

Jeff Fischer - Stop Writing Classes, Interfaces & Python, Social Network Analyses

Yanick Gingras - Pycon- Behind The Scense

Wesley Chun - Guido's keynote, Paul Graham's keynote, Ray Hettinger's Advanced Python tutorial

Jim Stockford - Music, inside the interpreter

Simeon Franklin - Pandas

Akkana Peck - Datetimes, Unicode, GIMP-Python

We may want to limit each person's time to 10 minutes, so that everyone gets a chance to talk.
When all have finished their first topic, start over with the first presenter- with the next topic....

In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Re: Who wants to do Pycon wrap-up talks Thursday?

Daniel Mizyrycki-2
Looks like tonight's meeting will be awesome. Any chance it would be
video recorded?

Daniel

Re: Who wants to do Pycon wrap-up talks Thursday?

wesley chun
hey JJ, sorry we missed you tonight! great reviews everyone! glenn, can you remind people about the viewing party at SM?

anyway, i've attached the slides for the 3 talks i reviewed. feel free to post to the website if desired.

cheers,
--wesley

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Shannon -jj Behrens <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

pycon2012recap.pdf (161K) Download Attachment

Re: Who wants to do Pycon wrap-up talks Thursday?

Tony Cappellini

How did the Pycon wrap up talks go last night?

On 03/23/2012 10:08 AM, Tony Cappellini wrote:

> How did the Pycon wrap up talks go last night?

It was my first time at Bay Piggies and I loved it.

I had to leave before the end of Wesley's talk to catch a train but I
really enjoyed the evening and I'm sorry that I could not stay to chat
further after the presentation.  Next time, hopefully.

--
Yannick Gingras
PyCon 2012 Co-Chair