Quantcast

Win32api install problem

Aravind Kamble
Hi All,

I am trying to install pywin32-217 for the first time on my Windows 7 64 bit machine. I have following installed on my machine,

Python 2.7.3
MS Windows SDK for Windows 7 (7.1)
Downloaded pywin32-217 from sourceforge

When I run the setup.py as below
c:\pywin32-217\python setup.py install

I am getting following error

Building pywin32 2.7.217.0
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 2428, in <module>
    ] +
  File "setup.py", line 2224, in convert_data_files
    raise RuntimeError("No files match '%s'" % file)
RuntimeError: No files match 'pythonwin\pywin\*.cfg'

There are two .cfg files (default.cfg and IDLE.cfg) under pythonwin\pywin\.

Please help how to get rid of this error and continue with installation.

Regards
Aravind

Re: Win32api install problem

Mark Lawrence
On 30/04/2012 08:03, Aravind Kamble wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to install pywin32-217 for the first time on my Windows 7 64
> bit machine. I have following installed on my machine,
>
> Python 2.7.3

> MS Windows SDK for Windows 7 (7.1)

The SDK isn't usually needed.

> Downloaded pywin32-217 from sourceforge

Hopefully in this case either pywin32-217.win-amd64-py2.7.exe or
pywin32-217.win32-py2.7.exe as appropriate :)  See below.

> When I run the setup.py as below
> c:\pywin32-217\python setup.py install

I've never needed to do this.  Usually you would download the
appropriate version of pywin32 as given above and It Just Works when you
install, automatically finding your version of Python from the registry.

> I am getting following error
>
> Building pywin32 2.7.217.0
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "setup.py", line 2428, in<module>
>      ] +
>    File "setup.py", line 2224, in convert_data_files
>      raise RuntimeError("No files match '%s'" % file)
> RuntimeError: No files match 'pythonwin\pywin\*.cfg'
>
> There are two .cfg files (default.cfg and IDLE.cfg) under pythonwin\pywin\.
>
> Please help how to get rid of this error and continue with installation.

If my comments above don't help sorry, you'll have to wait until the
smarter Windows guys pick this one up, doesn't normally take too long :)

> Regards
> Aravind

Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.

Re: Win32api install problem

Tim Golden-4
On 30/04/2012 08:03, Aravind Kamble wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to install pywin32-217 for the first time on my Windows 7 64
> bit machine. I have following installed on my machine,
>
> Python 2.7.3
> MS Windows SDK for Windows 7 (7.1)
> Downloaded pywin32-217 from sourceforge
>

> When I run the setup.py as below
> c:\pywin32-217\python setup.py install
>
> I am getting following error
>
> Building pywin32 2.7.217.0
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "setup.py", line 2428, in <module>
>     ] +
>   File "setup.py", line 2224, in convert_data_files
>     raise RuntimeError("No files match '%s'" % file)
> RuntimeError: No files match 'pythonwin\pywin\*.cfg'
>
> There are two .cfg files (default.cfg and IDLE.cfg) under pythonwin\pywin\.
>
> Please help how to get rid of this error and continue with installation.

Do you have / want to build from source? If not, download one
of the binaries from Sourceforge and use that. If you do need
to build from source, you'll have to patch the setup.py in
the pywin32 sourceball to add a parameter anchor=0 to the calls
to include_pattern and exclude_pattern within the convert_data_files
function.

(I was just about to get in touch with Mark H and offer a patch but
I won't have time to do the mechanics until this afternoon at the
earliest...)

FWIW this is due to a recent-ish change to distutils which fixed a
longstanding bugette. The effect was to tighten up the action of
include|exclude_pattern calls so that they don't match against
directory strings unless anchor is set to 0.

Again, though, unless you *want* to build from source, you can just
download a binary build.

TJG

Re: Win32api install problem

Mark Hammond-4
On 30/04/2012 5:42 PM, Tim Golden wrote:

> On 30/04/2012 08:03, Aravind Kamble wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am trying to install pywin32-217 for the first time on my Windows 7 64
>> bit machine. I have following installed on my machine,
>>
>> Python 2.7.3
>> MS Windows SDK for Windows 7 (7.1)
>> Downloaded pywin32-217 from sourceforge
>>

>> When I run the setup.py as below
>> c:\pywin32-217\python setup.py install
>>
>> I am getting following error
>>
>> Building pywin32 2.7.217.0
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>    File "setup.py", line 2428, in <module>
>>      ] +
>>    File "setup.py", line 2224, in convert_data_files
>>      raise RuntimeError("No files match '%s'" % file)
>> RuntimeError: No files match 'pythonwin\pywin\*.cfg'
>>
>> There are two .cfg files (default.cfg and IDLE.cfg) under pythonwin\pywin\.
>>
>> Please help how to get rid of this error and continue with installation.
>
> Do you have / want to build from source? If not, download one
> of the binaries from Sourceforge and use that. If you do need
> to build from source, you'll have to patch the setup.py in
> the pywin32 sourceball to add a parameter anchor=0 to the calls
> to include_pattern and exclude_pattern within the convert_data_files
> function.
>
> (I was just about to get in touch with Mark H and offer a patch but
> I won't have time to do the mechanics until this afternoon at the
> earliest...)

Thanks for the clue - I just updated Python 2.7 from hg, verified the
bug and also verified your fix seems to work.  I've checked it in and
pushed it.

Thanks!

Mark

On 30/04/2012 08:50, Mark Hammond wrote:
> On 30/04/2012 5:42 PM, Tim Golden wrote:
>> (I was just about to get in touch with Mark H and offer a patch but
>> I won't have time to do the mechanics until this afternoon at the
>> earliest...)
>
> Thanks for the clue - I just updated Python 2.7 from hg, verified the
> bug and also verified your fix seems to work.  I've checked it in and
> pushed it.

Thanks for the quick turnaround. FWIW there appear to be other issues
against Python trunk due to the *very* recent importlib changes. Before
I dive in: are you able to build & install against Python's hg tip?

I was getting an importlib error when trying to import pywintypes.
I'll try to get a build environment up here (at work) to make sure
I can reproduce.

TJG

On 30/04/2012 5:56 PM, Tim Golden wrote:

> On 30/04/2012 08:50, Mark Hammond wrote:
>> On 30/04/2012 5:42 PM, Tim Golden wrote:
>>> (I was just about to get in touch with Mark H and offer a patch but
>>> I won't have time to do the mechanics until this afternoon at the
>>> earliest...)
>>
>> Thanks for the clue - I just updated Python 2.7 from hg, verified the
>> bug and also verified your fix seems to work.  I've checked it in and
>> pushed it.
>
> Thanks for the quick turnaround. FWIW there appear to be other issues
> against Python trunk due to the *very* recent importlib changes. Before
> I dive in: are you able to build & install against Python's hg tip?

Haven't tried - I just tried the 2.7 branch.

> I was getting an importlib error when trying to import pywintypes.
> I'll try to get a build environment up here (at work) to make sure
> I can reproduce.

Hrmph - I'm not that surprised about that actually; pywintypes.py
already is a hack built on a hack - hopefully it should turn out to be
fairly shallow - but I might not get to it for a few days...

Thanks!

Mark