Writing Titanium Desktop Applications with Python - for May Baypiggies meeting

Writing Titanium Desktop Applications with Python - for May Baypiggies meeting

Tony Cappellini-2
Alan DuBoff wants to give the following presentation at the May
Baypiggies meeting.
Vote +1 if you're interested.

Abstract
Writing Titanium Desktop Applications with Python

Appcelerator's Titanium Desktop provides the developer a means to use
Python code, callable from Javascript. It provides a desktop
application that will run on OSX, Linux, or Windows. Much of the
backend is also written in Python which creates the applications,
bundling, packaging, etc...although our libraries which are callable
through Javascript are written in C/C++/Objective-C. The source code
is open source and is readily available from github. This environment
provides another way to deliver applications and can be useful to
Python programmers in general. The product offers much more, but I
wanted to highlite the fact that it does allow Python, and explain how
it provides a flexible web interface on your desktop.

Bio

Alan DuBoff

Has been consulting and working at various large and small companies
in the high tech industry, including Silicon Valley area for more than
15 years.  Alan has been involved with user groups, having run at
least 6 of them over the past 30 years, starting with the Tokyo PC
User Group.  He likes embedded devices.  His past work before working
on Titanium Desktop includes Sun Microsystems, Kerbango/3Com, VA Linux
Systems, WebVan, Cisco, IBM, Oracle, and more. He supports, advocates,
and uses open source software whenever possible.

--

Alan DuBoff - Software Orchestration
http://www.softorchestra.com:8080/roller/blog/

Re: Writing Titanium Desktop Applications with Python - for May Baypiggies meeting

Brent Tubbs
+1

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Tony Cappellini <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Alan DuBoff wants to give the following presentation at the May
> Baypiggies meeting.
> Vote +1 if you're interested.
>

> Abstract
> Writing Titanium Desktop Applications with Python
>
> Appcelerator's Titanium Desktop provides the developer a means to use
> Python code, callable from Javascript. It provides a desktop
> application that will run on OSX, Linux, or Windows. Much of the
> backend is also written in Python which creates the applications,
> bundling, packaging, etc...although our libraries which are callable
> through Javascript are written in C/C++/Objective-C. The source code
> is open source and is readily available from github. This environment
> provides another way to deliver applications and can be useful to
> Python programmers in general. The product offers much more, but I
> wanted to highlite the fact that it does allow Python, and explain how
> it provides a flexible web interface on your desktop.
>
> Bio
>
> Alan DuBoff
>
> Has been consulting and working at various large and small companies
> in the high tech industry, including Silicon Valley area for more than
> 15 years.  Alan has been involved with user groups, having run at
> least 6 of them over the past 30 years, starting with the Tokyo PC
> User Group.  He likes embedded devices.  His past work before working
> on Titanium Desktop includes Sun Microsystems, Kerbango/3Com, VA Linux
> Systems, WebVan, Cisco, IBM, Oracle, and more. He supports, advocates,
> and uses open source software whenever possible.
>
> --
>
> Alan DuBoff - Software Orchestration
> http://www.softorchestra.com:8080/roller/blog/

Re: Writing Titanium Desktop Applications with Python - for May Baypiggies meeting

jim-258

    Dan Roberts has offered to speak on PyPy at the
May meeting (per my earlier email to the list). I'd
checked the google calendar and did not see anything
scheduled for bayPIGgies at that time.
    What's the interest and how to resolve?

On Thu, 2011-04-14 at 09:41 -0700, Tony Cappellini wrote:

> Alan DuBoff wants to give the following presentation at the May
> Baypiggies meeting.
> Vote +1 if you're interested.
>

> Abstract
> Writing Titanium Desktop Applications with Python
>
> Appcelerator's Titanium Desktop provides the developer a means to use
> Python code, callable from Javascript. It provides a desktop
> application that will run on OSX, Linux, or Windows. Much of the
> backend is also written in Python which creates the applications,
> bundling, packaging, etc...although our libraries which are callable
> through Javascript are written in C/C++/Objective-C. The source code
> is open source and is readily available from github. This environment
> provides another way to deliver applications and can be useful to
> Python programmers in general. The product offers much more, but I
> wanted to highlite the fact that it does allow Python, and explain how
> it provides a flexible web interface on your desktop.
>
> Bio
>
> Alan DuBoff
>
> Has been consulting and working at various large and small companies
> in the high tech industry, including Silicon Valley area for more than
> 15 years.  Alan has been involved with user groups, having run at
> least 6 of them over the past 30 years, starting with the Tokyo PC
> User Group.  He likes embedded devices.  His past work before working
> on Titanium Desktop includes Sun Microsystems, Kerbango/3Com, VA Linux
> Systems, WebVan, Cisco, IBM, Oracle, and more. He supports, advocates,
> and uses open source software whenever possible.
>
> --
>
> Alan DuBoff - Software Orchestration
> http://www.softorchestra.com:8080/roller/blog/

Re: Writing Titanium Desktop Applications with Python - for May Baypiggies meeting

Nagappan Alagappan
[...]

Linux Desktop (GUI Application) Testing Project - http://ldtp.freedesktop.org
http://nagappanal.blogspot.com

Re: Writing Titanium Desktop Applications with Python - for May Baypiggies meeting

Alvin Wang-2
+1

Would that let me write compiled apps for all 3 environments with Python?

Thanks
Alvin

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Nagappan Alagappan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Tony Cappellini <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Alan DuBoff wants to give the following presentation at the May
>> Baypiggies meeting.
>> Vote +1 if you're interested.
>>

>> Abstract
>> Writing Titanium Desktop Applications with Python
>>
>> Appcelerator's Titanium Desktop provides the developer a means to use
>> Python code, callable from Javascript. It provides a desktop
>> application that will run on OSX, Linux, or Windows. Much of the
>> backend is also written in Python which creates the applications,
>> bundling, packaging, etc...although our libraries which are callable
>> through Javascript are written in C/C++/Objective-C. The source code
>> is open source and is readily available from github. This environment
>> provides another way to deliver applications and can be useful to
>> Python programmers in general. The product offers much more, but I
>> wanted to highlite the fact that it does allow Python, and explain how
>> it provides a flexible web interface on your desktop.
>>
>> Bio
>>
>> Alan DuBoff
>>
>> Has been consulting and working at various large and small companies
>> in the high tech industry, including Silicon Valley area for more than
>> 15 years.  Alan has been involved with user groups, having run at
>> least 6 of them over the past 30 years, starting with the Tokyo PC
>> User Group.  He likes embedded devices.  His past work before working
>> on Titanium Desktop includes Sun Microsystems, Kerbango/3Com, VA Linux
>> Systems, WebVan, Cisco, IBM, Oracle, and more. He supports, advocates,
>> and uses open source software whenever possible.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Alan DuBoff - Software Orchestration
>> http://www.softorchestra.com:8080/roller/blog/

> Linux Desktop (GUI Application) Testing Project -
> http://ldtp.freedesktop.org
> http://nagappanal.blogspot.com

Re: Writing Titanium Desktop Applications with Python - for May Baypiggies meeting

Shannon -jj Behrens
On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Tony Cappellini <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Alan DuBoff wants to give the following presentation at the May
> Baypiggies meeting.
> Vote +1 if you're interested.
>

> Abstract
> Writing Titanium Desktop Applications with Python
>
> Appcelerator's Titanium Desktop provides the developer a means to use
> Python code, callable from Javascript. It provides a desktop
> application that will run on OSX, Linux, or Windows. Much of the
> backend is also written in Python which creates the applications,
> bundling, packaging, etc...although our libraries which are callable
> through Javascript are written in C/C++/Objective-C. The source code
> is open source and is readily available from github. This environment
> provides another way to deliver applications and can be useful to
> Python programmers in general. The product offers much more, but I
> wanted to highlite the fact that it does allow Python, and explain how
> it provides a flexible web interface on your desktop.
>
> Bio
>
> Alan DuBoff
>
> Has been consulting and working at various large and small companies
> in the high tech industry, including Silicon Valley area for more than
> 15 years.  Alan has been involved with user groups, having run at
> least 6 of them over the past 30 years, starting with the Tokyo PC
> User Group.  He likes embedded devices.  His past work before working
> on Titanium Desktop includes Sun Microsystems, Kerbango/3Com, VA Linux
> Systems, WebVan, Cisco, IBM, Oracle, and more. He supports, advocates,
> and uses open source software whenever possible.

I don't care who speaks in which month.  Talks on Titanium and PyPy
would both be awesome.

-jj

--
In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Re: Writing Titanium Desktop Applications with Python - for May Baypiggies meeting

Tony Cappellini-2
> I don't care who speaks in which month.  Talks on Titanium and PyPy
> would both be awesome.

I don't think we got an formal votes on the PyPy talk.
We probably need to because we now have a conflict for May.

Votes for the talk on PyPy, reply with +1.

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 5:52 PM, Tony Cappellini <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't care who speaks in which month.  Talks on Titanium and PyPy
> would both be awesome.

I don't think we got an formal votes on the PyPy talk.
We probably need to because we now have a conflict for May.

Votes for the talk on PyPy, reply with +1.

+1

Linux Desktop (GUI Application) Testing Project - http://ldtp.freedesktop.org
http://nagappanal.blogspot.com

Re: Writing Titanium Desktop Applications with Python - for May Baypiggies meeting

Lukas Blakk-2
+1 - I'm just getting ready to try out Titanium so this would be awesome
to know before digging in.