alternatives to epydoc?

jalopyuser
I've been documenting UpLib with a combo of ReST for the standalone
docs, and epydoc for the API documentation.  But epydoc seems to be
dying a slow death of non-maintenance.  It won't work with docutils 0.6
or 0.7, and Python 2.6 seems to crash when running it.

So, I'm looking for an alternative to epydoc.  Preferably something
easy to convert to...  Any pointers?

Bill

Re: alternatives to epydoc?

Laura Creighton-2
In a message of Wed, 06 Oct 2010 09:52:15 PDT, Bill Janssen writes:
>I've been documenting UpLib with a combo of ReST for the standalone
>docs, and epydoc for the API documentation.  But epydoc seems to be
>dying a slow death of non-maintenance.  It won't work with docutils 0.6
>or 0.7, and Python 2.6 seems to crash when running it.
>
>So, I'm looking for an alternative to epydoc.  Preferably something
>easy to convert to...  Any pointers?
>
>Bill

I've been using endo, which is part of the enthought tools suite.

https://svn.enthought.com/enthought/wiki/EndoHowTo

Laura

Re: alternatives to epydoc?

Robert Kern-2
On 10/6/10 2:02 PM, Laura Creighton wrote:

> In a message of Wed, 06 Oct 2010 09:52:15 PDT, Bill Janssen writes:
>> I've been documenting UpLib with a combo of ReST for the standalone
>> docs, and epydoc for the API documentation.  But epydoc seems to be
>> dying a slow death of non-maintenance.  It won't work with docutils 0.6
>> or 0.7, and Python 2.6 seems to crash when running it.
>>
>> So, I'm looking for an alternative to epydoc.  Preferably something
>> easy to convert to...  Any pointers?
>>
>> Bill
>
> I've been using endo, which is part of the enthought tools suite.
>
> https://svn.enthought.com/enthought/wiki/EndoHowTo

endo is even more non-maintained. I'm honestly surprised it's working for you.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco

Re: alternatives to epydoc?

INADA Naoki-2
bzr [#1] uses pydoctor [#2] for api reference [#3].

[#1] http://bazaar.canonical.com/
[#2] http://codespeak.net/~mwh/pydoctor/
[#3] http://people.canonical.com/~mwh/bzrlibapi/

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 1:52 AM, Bill Janssen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been documenting UpLib with a combo of ReST for the standalone
> docs, and epydoc for the API documentation.  But epydoc seems to be
> dying a slow death of non-maintenance.  It won't work with docutils 0.6
> or 0.7, and Python 2.6 seems to crash when running it.
>
> So, I'm looking for an alternative to epydoc.  Preferably something
> easy to convert to...  Any pointers?
>
> Bill

INADA Naoki  <[hidden email]>

Re: alternatives to epydoc?

Michael Foord-5
  On 07/10/2010 13:08, INADA Naoki wrote:
> bzr [#1] uses pydoctor [#2] for api reference [#3].
>
> [#1] http://bazaar.canonical.com/
> [#2] http://codespeak.net/~mwh/pydoctor/
> [#3] http://people.canonical.com/~mwh/bzrlibapi/

These days all the cool kids* are using Sphinx and the autodoc extension:

http://sphinx.pocoo.org/ext/autodoc.html

All the best,

Michael

* I'm not one of the cool kids unfortunately... I still tend to think
that documentation and docstrings are two different things.

> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 1:52 AM, Bill Janssen<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> I've been documenting UpLib with a combo of ReST for the standalone
>> docs, and epydoc for the API documentation.  But epydoc seems to be
>> dying a slow death of non-maintenance.  It won't work with docutils 0.6
>> or 0.7, and Python 2.6 seems to crash when running it.
>>
>> So, I'm looking for an alternative to epydoc.  Preferably something
>> easy to convert to...  Any pointers?
>>
>> Bill

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree,
on behalf of your employer, to release me from all obligations
and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements,
licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap,
confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use
policies (”BOGUS AGREEMENTS”) that I have entered into with your
employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in
perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges.
You further represent that you have the authority to release me
from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.

Re: alternatives to epydoc?

Michael Foord-5
  On 07/10/2010 13:12, Michael Foord wrote:

>  On 07/10/2010 13:08, INADA Naoki wrote:
>> bzr [#1] uses pydoctor [#2] for api reference [#3].
>>
>> [#1] http://bazaar.canonical.com/
>> [#2] http://codespeak.net/~mwh/pydoctor/
>> [#3] http://people.canonical.com/~mwh/bzrlibapi/
>
> These days all the cool kids* are using Sphinx and the autodoc extension:
>
> http://sphinx.pocoo.org/ext/autodoc.html

Ooh, along with the autosummary extension:

     http://sphinx.pocoo.org/ext/autosummary.html

(This generates the templates used by autodoc if I am understanding
correctly - so autodoc pulls in explicitly specified docstrings and
autosummary generates stub pages that pull in all docstrings.)

The autosummary doc starts:

     "This extension generates function/method/attribute summary lists,
similar to those output e.g. by Epydoc and other API doc generation tools."

All the best,

Michael

> All the best,
>
> Michael
>
> * I'm not one of the cool kids unfortunately... I still tend to think
> that documentation and docstrings are two different things.
>
>> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 1:52 AM, Bill Janssen<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> I've been documenting UpLib with a combo of ReST for the standalone
>>> docs, and epydoc for the API documentation.  But epydoc seems to be
>>> dying a slow death of non-maintenance.  It won't work with docutils 0.6
>>> or 0.7, and Python 2.6 seems to crash when running it.
>>>
>>> So, I'm looking for an alternative to epydoc.  Preferably something
>>> easy to convert to...  Any pointers?
>>>
>>> Bill

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree,
on behalf of your employer, to release me from all obligations
and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements,
licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap,
confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use
policies (”BOGUS AGREEMENTS”) that I have entered into with your
employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in
perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges.
You further represent that you have the authority to release me
from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.

Re: alternatives to epydoc?

Fred Drake-3
On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 8:12 AM, Michael Foord <[hidden email]> wrote:
> * I'm not one of the cool kids unfortunately... I still tend to think that
> documentation and docstrings are two different things.

Not so unfortunate.  The usage patterns are very different, so the
appropriate content is as well.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.    <fdrake at acm.org>
"A storm broke loose in my mind."  --Albert Einstein

Re: alternatives to epydoc?

jalopyuser
Thanks.  There's a nice list at
http://wiki.python.org/moin/DocumentationTools (autodoc isn't mentioned).

Personally, I think I'm going to try Doxygen first.  There's lots of
non-Python code in UpLib, too.

Bill