bash completion files with easy_install

Thibault Kruse
Hi,

I am confused about how to provide bash completion files for users of a program to be installed via setuptools.
I am working with Ubuntu Lucid mainly, and I have a setup.py like this:

setup(...
      data_files=[('/etc/bash_completion.d', ['contrib/mytool.bash'])])

And also a MANIFEST.in with this
include contrib/mytool.bash

as a workaround for this problem:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2994396/python-distutils-does-not-include-data-files

Now what happens in Ubuntu Lucid is that easy_install will fail with a SandboxViolation for these files if I easy_install the software.
pip install however does not fail. I do not want to force users to use pip, and I am not sure whether easy_install is doing the right thing in using a sandbox.

Also i have no idea what will happen on windows machines, where no /etc exists, and no bash exists neither.

So can somebody here tell me how I should approach this problem?

If anyone wants to reproduce, try this:
sudo easy_install -U rosinstall==0.6.9

regards,
  Thibault