[baypiggies] Python Source Browser

John J. Dooley
What do python programmers use to browse source code? I found a project I
was interested in (paramiko) and wanted to get a quick overview of the
modules, classes, dependcies and trace from method to method.

The python.org wiki had lists of development IDE and editors ( I had ignored
the wiki upto this point - big mistake) and that gave me a list programs to
start with. If it was available on my unbuntu 5.10 system, I gave it a try.
Here is my quick impression:

   source navigator- quirky UI. Could not figure out how to get it to list
classes and mehods in classes.I used this for C++ in the past and got it to
work. I supposedly had a libray for python but perhps it was limited in
function. Does anyone use this?

  bicycle repair - seems to want gvim with python scripting, or emacs, or
IDLE. I use straight vim and didn't want to have to upgrade VIM to try it
out or learn the others. Anyone think its worth the trouble?

  PyPe - I must of hit some wrong buttons becuase it would disappear before
I could see what it could do.

Pida - I was confused by the installation requirements and quickly skipped
over it.

drpython - could open a directory of python modules and bring up the
class/methods. Source attractively highted. Seems to do all the basic stuff,
well. Kind of simple and stark.

SPE(Stani'sPython Editor) -  quicker than DrPython, attractive source
formating, UML display, easy class navigation.

I removed all of the above but SPE and DrPython. SPE seems the most
promising.

In short, I Just needs a source browser that allows me to make a quick
analysis of other people's python source code packages - look at the source,
see the class structure in navigate to module, class quickly. For my own
development, I use VIM.

SPE looks pretty reasonable. Is there any other worth looking at? Should I
take a further look at the ones I rejected?

Re: [baypiggies] Python Source Browser

Tony Cappellini-2
scite works pretty well

On 1/29/06, John J. Dooley <[hidden email]> wrote:
What do python programmers use to browse source code? I found a project I
was interested in (paramiko) and wanted to get a quick overview of the
modules, classes, dependcies and trace from method to method.

Re: [baypiggies] Python Source Browser

Keith Dart-2
John J. Dooley wrote the following on 2006-01-29 at 23:22 PST:
===
> What do python programmers use to browse source code? I found a
> project I was interested in (paramiko) and wanted to get a quick
> overview of the modules, classes, dependcies and trace from method to
> method.

===

I use Gvim plus ctags. :-) Well, I also have customized vim modules to
help with this. (e.g. ";nc" means go to next class.).

--

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
   Keith Dart <[hidden email]>

Re: [baypiggies] Python Source Browser

Kael Fischer
I use emacs (or xemacs) with the 'speedbar.'  The emacs python mode parses the code in to classes and methods and presents them on the menu and as a tree in the speedbar pane.  Of course the code is properly highlighted and all that.  I can definitely recommend that setup.

I have looked at a lot of options, like the ones you mention.  For me having a stable system that runs on unix/linux/mac/windows with a minimum of trouble and good functionality kept driving me away from newer projects like SPE and drpython and toward add-ons to more mature programs like [x]emacs/vi[m].  The emacs speedbar source browser thingamajig is just the ticket for me.  My only reservation is that while the RCS/CVS support is very good, subversion doesn't seem to be hooked in to the emacs world yet.  It's probably out there but the CVS/RCS stuff "just works".

I also use pydoc quite a bit

-Kael

--
Kael Fischer, Ph.D
DeRisi Lab - Univ. Of California San Francisco

Re: [baypiggies] Python Source Browser

LarryT-3

Kael Fischer <[hidden email]> writes:

> I use emacs (or xemacs) with the 'speedbar.'  The emacs python mode parses
> the code in to classes and methods and presents them on the menu and as a
> tree in the speedbar pane.  Of course the code is properly highlighted and
> all that.  I can definitely recommend that setup.

Thanks for the reminder.  That works great.  The necessary python mode
comes in the bicyclerepairman dstro mentioned in the original post,
but I don't know if its the latest.

For installing bicyclerepairman, note that some files in the included
Pymacs-0.20 directory contain characters that may not be supported on
some systems (like mine).  Just strip out the offending lines.

-larry

Re: [baypiggies] Python Source Browser

John J. Dooley
I did not know that ctags supported Python. I just installed
taglist/exuberant in vim and love it. It is probably slicker in gvim, but
works well in vanila vim.

This is perfect for my development work. Thanks for suggesting it.

>From: Keith Dart <[hidden email]>
>To: "John J. Dooley" <[hidden email]>
>CC: [hidden email]
>Subject: Re: [Baypiggies] [baypiggies] Python Source Browser
>Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 00:31:23 -0800
>
>John J. Dooley wrote the following on 2006-01-29 at 23:22 PST:
>===
> > What do python programmers use to browse source code? I found a
> > project I was interested in (paramiko) and wanted to get a quick
> > overview of the modules, classes, dependcies and trace from method to
> > method.
>
>===
>
>I use Gvim plus ctags. :-) Well, I also have customized vim modules to
>help with this. (e.g. ";nc" means go to next class.).
>

>--
>
>-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>    Keith Dart <[hidden email]>
>    public key: ID: 19017044
>    <http://www.kdart.com/~keith/>

Re: [baypiggies] Python Source Browser

Shannon -jj Behrens
ctags is the number 1 plugin for Vim.  +1 :)

-jj

On 1/30/06, John J. Dooley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I did not know that ctags supported Python. I just installed
> taglist/exuberant in vim and love it. It is probably slicker in gvim, but
> works well in vanila vim.
>
> This is perfect for my development work. Thanks for suggesting it.
>
> >From: Keith Dart <[hidden email]>
> >To: "John J. Dooley" <[hidden email]>
> >CC: [hidden email]
> >Subject: Re: [Baypiggies] [baypiggies] Python Source Browser
> >Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 00:31:23 -0800
> >
> >John J. Dooley wrote the following on 2006-01-29 at 23:22 PST:
> >===
> > > What do python programmers use to browse source code? I found a
> > > project I was interested in (paramiko) and wanted to get a quick
> > > overview of the modules, classes, dependcies and trace from method to
> > > method.
> >
> >===
> >
> >I use Gvim plus ctags. :-) Well, I also have customized vim modules to
> >help with this. (e.g. ";nc" means go to next class.).
> >

> >--

> >    Keith Dart <[hidden email]>
> >    public key: ID: 19017044
> >    <http://www.kdart.com/~keith/>

Re: [baypiggies] Python Source Browser

Ilia Iourovitski
I think JEdit has the best support for Python/Jython including debugger.
Runs  on Windows/Unix/OS X because written in Java.
Has Ctags plugin if sidekick is not enough.