Quantcast

better documentation on how to upload to PyPI

better documentation on how to upload to PyPI

Phillip M. Feldman
The procedure for uploading to PyPI is not well documented.  I had to read several different docs and do some experimentation before coming up with the following:

Procedure for uploading to the Python Package Index (PyPI):

1. Create setup.py file.
2. Create ".pypirc" file if it does not already exist.
3. Launch IPython.
4. Issue the command "run setup register"
5. Issue the command "run setup sdist upload".
6. Log into PyPI and adjust visibility of old versions as necessary.

I'd like to see this list of steps (or something similar) in the docs.

Re: better documentation on how to upload to PyPI

ianb
There's an effort to create a new set of documentation for packaging: http://guide.python-distribute.org/

Ideally this work will end up on docs.python.org at some point.

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Dr. Phillip M. Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:

The procedure for uploading to PyPI is not well documented.  I had to read
several different docs and do some experimentation before coming up with the
following:

Procedure for uploading to the Python Package Index (PyPI):

1. Create setup.py file.
2. Create ".pypirc" file if it does not already exist.
3. Launch IPython.
4. Issue the command "run setup register"
5. Issue the command "run setup sdist upload".
6. Log into PyPI and adjust visibility of old versions as necessary.

I'd like to see this list of steps (or something similar) in the docs.

Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org  |  http://twitter.com/ianbicking

Re: better documentation on how to upload to PyPI

Nick Coghlan
Ian Bicking wrote:
> There's an effort to create a new set of documentation for
> packaging: http://guide.python-distribute.org/
>
> Ideally this work will end up on docs.python.org
> <http://docs.python.org> at some point.

Would it be worth including a "See Also" or some other link in the main
docs in the meantime? (the quick start there does appear to be the brief
list of the basic steps that the main docs are missing)

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan   |   [hidden email]   |   Brisbane, Australia

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Nick Coghlan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ian Bicking wrote:
> There's an effort to create a new set of documentation for
> packaging: http://guide.python-distribute.org/
>
> Ideally this work will end up on docs.python.org
> <http://docs.python.org> at some point.

Would it be worth including a "See Also" or some other link in the main
docs in the meantime? (the quick start there does appear to be the brief
list of the basic steps that the main docs are missing)

Yes, I'm sure that would be quite helpful for readers.

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org  |  http://twitter.com/ianbicking

Re: better documentation on how to upload to PyPI

Michael Foord-5
Ian Bicking wrote:
> There's an effort to create a new set of documentation for
> packaging: http://guide.python-distribute.org/
>
> Ideally this work will end up on docs.python.org
> <http://docs.python.org> at some point.

Would it be worth including a "See Also" or some other link in the main
docs in the meantime? (the quick start there does appear to be the brief
list of the basic steps that the main docs are missing)

Yes, I'm sure that would be quite helpful for readers.

If we make the change in 2.6-maint then it will be on the main docs when 2.6 is released. What documentation page should it go on?

I've added a link to the following page, but don't think that will be particularly effective:

    http://python.org/doc/

Michael

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org  |  http://twitter.com/ianbicking

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog

Re: better documentation on how to upload to PyPI

Georg Brandl-2
Am 03.03.2010 00:53, schrieb Michael Foord:

> On 02/03/2010 20:54, Ian Bicking wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Nick Coghlan <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     Ian Bicking wrote:
>>     > There's an effort to create a new set of documentation for
>>     > packaging: http://guide.python-distribute.org/
>>     >
>>     > Ideally this work will end up on docs.python.org
>>     <http://docs.python.org>
>>     > <http://docs.python.org> at some point.
>>
>>     Would it be worth including a "See Also" or some other link in the
>>     main
>>     docs in the meantime? (the quick start there does appear to be the
>>     brief
>>     list of the basic steps that the main docs are missing)
>>

>> Yes, I'm sure that would be quite helpful for readers.
>
> If we make the change in 2.6-maint then it will be on the main docs when
> 2.6 is released. What documentation page should it go on?
>
> I've added a link to the following page, but don't think that will be
> particularly effective:
>
>     http://python.org/doc/

http://docs.python.org/distutils/ comes to mind -- a seealso right before
the big table of contents?

Georg

Re: better documentation on how to upload to PyPI

Tarek Ziadé
> From: Michael Foord <[hidden email]>
> Date: Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 5:53 PM
> Subject: Re: [Doc-SIG] better documentation on how to upload to PyPI
> To: Ian Bicking <[hidden email]>
> Cc: Nick Coghlan <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
>

> On 02/03/2010 20:54, Ian Bicking wrote:
>
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Nick Coghlan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Ian Bicking wrote:
>> > There's an effort to create a new set of documentation for
>> > packaging: http://guide.python-distribute.org/
>> >
>> > Ideally this work will end up on docs.python.org
>> > <http://docs.python.org> at some point.
>>
>> Would it be worth including a "See Also" or some other link in the main
>> docs in the meantime? (the quick start there does appear to be the brief
>> list of the basic steps that the main docs are missing)
>
> Yes, I'm sure that would be quite helpful for readers.
>
> If we make the change in 2.6-maint then it will be on the main docs when 2.6
> is released. What documentation page should it go on?
>
> I've added a link to the following page, but don't think that will be
> particularly effective:
>
>     http://python.org/doc/
>
> Michael

Hello,

I've asked Georg about the best location for the guide in the doc a
few days ago
since we planned to include it in docs.python.org during the summit.

If the HH guide is included before it is finished as we have planned,
maybe it could be included right now
as part of the 2.6 maintenance as well.

So the "See also link" would be an internal link in docs.python.org. I
am proposing this to avoid
maintaining guide.python-distribute.org *and* a section in
docs.python.org once 2.7 is out. This will
also avoid confusion for the community imho.

Cheers
Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org

On 03/03/2010 09:10, Tarek Ziadé wrote:

>> From: Michael Foord<[hidden email]>
>> Date: Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 5:53 PM
>> Subject: Re: [Doc-SIG] better documentation on how to upload to PyPI
>> To: Ian Bicking<[hidden email]>
>> Cc: Nick Coghlan<[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
>>

>> On 02/03/2010 20:54, Ian Bicking wrote:

>>> Would it be worth including a "See Also" or some other link in the main
>>> docs in the meantime? (the quick start there does appear to be the brief
>>> list of the basic steps that the main docs are missing)
>>>
>> Yes, I'm sure that would be quite helpful for readers.
>>
>> If we make the change in 2.6-maint then it will be on the main docs when 2.6
>> is released. What documentation page should it go on?
>>
>> I've added a link to the following page, but don't think that will be
>> particularly effective:
>>
>>      http://python.org/doc/
>>
>> Michael
>>

> Hello,
>
> I've asked Georg about the best location for the guide in the doc a
> few days ago
> since we planned to include it in docs.python.org during the summit.
>
> If the HH guide is included before it is finished as we have planned,
> maybe it could be included right now
> as part of the 2.6 maintenance as well.
>
> So the "See also link" would be an internal link in docs.python.org. I
> am proposing this to avoid
> maintaining guide.python-distribute.org *and* a section in
> docs.python.org once 2.7 is out. This will
> also avoid confusion for the community imho.

See if Georg approves that. If he does I will leave it to you to check
it into the documentation.

All the best,

Michael