buildout & develop

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

buildout & develop

andrea crotti-2
I am in the current situation, I have an application that uses a lot of
libraries (ETS / pyqt...).

In plus there for every application there are a lot of eggs, which are
actually directory eggs.

At the moment we run everything in a brutal way messing up with the
system, but I thought
that we can change this using
- a pypi server on localhost
- zc.buildout and smarter setup.py files

To run in production mode it looks relatively easy, build the eggs in a
place
where the pypiserver looks and run everything.

But is it possible to use the equivalent of "setup.py develop"?

Ideally whenever I save a new file it should run the python setup.py
develop only for that
where it belongs, any idea on how to do something like this?
_______________________________________________
Distutils-SIG maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/distutils-sig
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: buildout & develop

Benji York
On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 6:03 AM, Andrea Crotti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am in the current situation, I have an application that uses a lot of
> libraries (ETS / pyqt...).
>
> In plus there for every application there are a lot of eggs, which are
> actually directory eggs.
>
> At the moment we run everything in a brutal way messing up with the system,
> but I thought
> that we can change this using
> - a pypi server on localhost
> - zc.buildout and smarter setup.py files
>
> To run in production mode it looks relatively easy, build the eggs in a
> place
> where the pypiserver looks and run everything.
>
> But is it possible to use the equivalent of "setup.py develop"?

The "develop" option should do what you want:
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.buildout/1.5.2#work-on-a-package

> Ideally whenever I save a new file it should run the python setup.py develop
> only for that
> where it belongs, any idea on how to do something like this?

I'm afraid I didn't understand your question.

--
Benji York
_______________________________________________
Distutils-SIG maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/distutils-sig
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: buildout & develop

Reinout van Rees
In reply to this post by andrea crotti-2
On 06-10-11 12:03, Andrea Crotti wrote:
> - a pypi server on localhost

Or just a local directory with all the .tar.gz eggs together and
pointing find-links to that directory. (Possibly behind apache if you
want to).


Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees                    http://reinout.vanrees.org/
[hidden email]             http://www.nelen-schuurmans.nl/
"If you're not sure what to do, make something. -- Paul Graham"

_______________________________________________
Distutils-SIG maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/distutils-sig
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: buildout & develop

andrea crotti-2
In reply to this post by Benji York
On 10/06/2011 02:07 PM, Benji York wrote:
> The "develop" option should do what you want:
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.buildout/1.5.2#work-on-a-package
I'm not sure this is exactly what I need...
I mean as a developer I have one application which uses 10 different eggs.
I want to be able to modify also what these eggs do while coding, should I
add all of them to the "develop" line?
_______________________________________________
Distutils-SIG maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/distutils-sig
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: buildout & develop

Wichert Akkerman
On 10/07/2011 12:32 PM, Andrea Crotti wrote:
> I'm not sure this is exactly what I need...
> I mean as a developer I have one application which uses 10 different
> eggs.
> I want to be able to modify also what these eggs do while coding,
> should I
> add all of them to the "develop" line?

Yes. I can highly recommend using mr.developer to manage this process;
it makes it much easier to (co)develop related eggs.

WIchert.


_______________________________________________
Distutils-SIG maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/distutils-sig