[buildout] branches languishing? (site-packages and distutils scripts)

12

Re: [buildout] branches languishing? (site-packages and distutils scripts)

Reinout van Rees
On 26-03-12 13:41, Jim Fulton wrote:
> So, I guess the first step is to gather git ids for past
> contributors. :/ I can work on this.  I suppose then it's a matter of
> running svn2git, which I've already done successfully once.

OTOH, you don't need absolutely everyone. If you've just got the top 3
you've probably got most of the commits, I'd guess?

That's enough. It is just that if you've written 25% of a code base and
your commits aren't tied to the account, that's a bit sad. Everyone
ought to see that tracking down all emails is OK.

So just grab three or four and that's enough.

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees                    http://reinout.vanrees.org/
[hidden email]             http://www.nelen-schuurmans.nl/

Re: [buildout] branches languishing? (site-packages and distutils scripts)

Reinout van Rees
On 26-03-12 13:41, Jim Fulton wrote:
> Does anyone have any objections to renaming the project "buildout"?
> I expect that most existing recipes would work with the new
> buildout.  Recipes that import zc.buildout (zc.buildout.easy_install)
> would be broken.  Those recipes would be likely to be broken
> by changes we'd make (like omissions of the new 1.5-based
> APIs) anyway.

Rename is fine with me.

And if needed we can mock a zc.buildout inside it to help with moving
over, I'd guess.

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees                    http://reinout.vanrees.org/
[hidden email]             http://www.nelen-schuurmans.nl/
"If you're not sure what to do, make something. -- Paul Graham"

Re: [buildout] branches languishing? (site-packages and distutils scripts)

Hanno Schlichting-4
On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Reinout van Rees <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 26-03-12 13:41, Jim Fulton wrote:
>> Does anyone have any objections to renaming the project "buildout"?
>
> Rename is fine with me.

+1

But there's about 20 or so packages on PyPi using buildout as a
namespace package. That'll work just fine, as long as the new buildout
puts the magic into its top level __init__.py and has no other code
there.

Hanno

Re: [buildout] branches languishing? (site-packages and distutils scripts)

Marius Gedminas-2
On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 10:12:30PM +0200, Reinout van Rees wrote:

> On 25-03-12 19:39, Jim Fulton wrote:
> >On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Reinout van Rees<[hidden email]>  wrote:
> >>Would it be an idea to move zc.buildout out of the zope svn repo into
> >>github?
> >
> >Yes. In fact, I was just looking at that.  Github's review mechanism
> >is particularly attractive.
>
> Yep. Comment on entire pull requests, individual commits and
> individual lines. Works well. (Only real github problem I found is
> lack of attachments (=screenshots) in issues, but that's not
> something that ought to bother buildout).
For the record, screenshots on issues are possible.  Here's an example:
https://github.com/mgedmin/SnakeMUD/issues/2

The caveat is that you have to upload them somewhere else (e.g.
http://imgur.com), and just link to them on GitHub (using Markdown if
you want it displayed inline).  And, of course, Imgur will delete images
if they're rarely accessed, which hasn't happened to me yet, but worries
me sometimes.

Marius Gedminas
--
America and England are two countries separated by a common language.

Re: [buildout] branches languishing? (site-packages and distutils scripts)

Jim Fulton
On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Hanno Schlichting <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Reinout van Rees <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 26-03-12 13:41, Jim Fulton wrote:
>>> Does anyone have any objections to renaming the project "buildout"?
>>
>> Rename is fine with me.
>
> +1
>
> But there's about 20 or so packages on PyPi using buildout as a
> namespace package.

Gaaaa. I wasn't aware of that.

> That'll work just fine, as long as the new buildout
> puts the magic into its top level __init__.py and has no other code
> there.

No, it won't. You can't count on the order that namespace packages get
scanned, so you really can't have code in __init__.py if you want to
count on it getting installed.

This needs more thought.  The new buildout could be a subpackage
of the buildout namespace, although that seems awkward. Maybe
it would be best to stick with zc.buildout 2.x.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimfulton

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Jim Fulton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Hanno Schlichting <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> That'll work just fine, as long as the new buildout
>> puts the magic into its top level __init__.py and has no other code
>> there.
>
> No, it won't. You can't count on the order that namespace packages get
> scanned, so you really can't have code in __init__.py if you want to
> count on it getting installed.

That's my point. As long as every buildout/__init__.py contains the
setuptools namespace code and nothing else, all is fine. So as long as
the new buildout distribution does the same, it'll all work.

I'm not aware of any problems with having modules directly inside a
namespace package. So a buildout/easy_install.py should be importable
via "from buildout import easy_install".

Hanno

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Hanno Schlichting <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Jim Fulton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Hanno Schlichting <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> That'll work just fine, as long as the new buildout
>>> puts the magic into its top level __init__.py and has no other code
>>> there.
>>
>> No, it won't. You can't count on the order that namespace packages get
>> scanned, so you really can't have code in __init__.py if you want to
>> count on it getting installed.
>
> That's my point. As long as every buildout/__init__.py contains the
> setuptools namespace code and nothing else, all is fine. So as long as
> the new buildout distribution does the same, it'll all work.
>
> I'm not aware of any problems with having modules directly inside a
> namespace package. So a buildout/easy_install.py should be importable
> via "from buildout import easy_install".

OK, right that's supposed to work.  Let's try it. :)

Jim

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Hanno Schlichting <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 11:31 PM, Jim Fulton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hanno suggested creating a buildout organization.  I'm up with that.
>> Maybe someone can create one and include me. :)
>
> In case you want it, there you go: https://github.com/buildout/buildout

OK, I've populated this.  I:

1) Got rid of some old svn branches that were allready merged or
   abandoned.

2) Ran svn2git

   This hurt.

   Your ~/.svn2git/authors file has to be complete or the conversion
   stops before completion.  For people who didn't respond to my spam
   for git emails, I had to make due with svn.zope.org repo emais.

   svn2git copied branches that were deleted in svn.  I deleted the
   junk branches in git.

   After much flailing and with some help, I removed some bogus remote
   tracking branches created by svn2git that made working with the
   other branches difficult.

   The master branch corresponded to the svn trunk. I renamed
   it to svntrunk.

   Since I intend to start new work from the 1.4 trunk, I made a new
   master from that.

   I set up [hidden email]:buildout/buildout.git as the origin remote
   and pushed to it with -u and --all.

   Everything seems to be there. :)

Maybe someone can check my handiwork.

I'm going to go outside and punch some holes in the ground. :)

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimfulton

Re: [buildout] branches languishing? (site-packages and distutils scripts)

Jonathan Ballet
Hi Jim,

On Sun, Apr 01, 2012 at 03:30:06PM -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Hanno Schlichting <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 11:31 PM, Jim Fulton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Hanno suggested creating a buildout organization.  I'm up with that.
> >> Maybe someone can create one and include me. :)
> >
> > In case you want it, there you go: https://github.com/buildout/buildout
[...]
> Maybe someone can check my handiwork.

Thanks for the import, this is really cool!

You might want to also push the tags to Github. Git doesn't push the
tags by default, so you also need to specify "--tags" to your "git push"
command.

 Jonathan

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 10:25 PM, Jonathan Ballet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> On Sun, Apr 01, 2012 at 03:30:06PM -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
>> >
>> > In case you want it, there you go: https://github.com/buildout/buildout
> [...]
>> Maybe someone can check my handiwork.
>
> Thanks for the import, this is really cool!
>
> You might want to also push the tags to Github. Git doesn't push the
> tags by default, so you also need to specify "--tags" to your "git push"
> command.

Thanks.  Done.

I guess --all means --some. Sigh.

Jim

On 01-04-12 21:30, Jim Fulton wrote:
> I'm going to go outside and punch some holes in the ground.:)

Placing a trebuchet outside of github's headquarters and lobbing
2-century-old eggs at them is reported to be therapeutic, too.

Reinout