can't make header cell in ipython notebook editor, editor in general seems different from online examples

can't make header cell in ipython notebook editor, editor in general seems different from online examples

ksurrence
Dear all,

I am new to iPython notebook, and recently created my first one. For some reason, my notebook editor does not look like editor in the tutorials online, and has less functionality. I would like to make heading cells in my notebook, but I don't seem to have the option to make headings and the keyboard shortcuts for headings don't work either. For instance, ctrl-m c and ctrl-m m work as expected to toggle between code and markdown formats, but ctrl-m 5 just types a 5.

I am attaching a screenshot of what my notebook editor looks like.

Here is an example of editor screenshots online that look different from my editor.

Can you help me figure out how to make header cells/restore any other missing functionality to my notebook editor?

Thanks!

Re: can't make header cell in ipython notebook editor, editor in general seems different from online examples

Matthias Bussonnier
HI,

I suggest you write to [hidden email], we are deprecating IPython-User.

To respond to your question, you have a 3 year old version, how did you install ?

Le 2 sept. 2014 à 12:30, ksurrence <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Dear all,
>
> I am new to iPython notebook, and recently created my first one. For some
> reason, my notebook editor does not look like editor in the tutorials
> online, and has less functionality. I would like to make heading cells in my
> notebook, but I don't seem to have the option to make headings and the
> keyboard shortcuts for headings don't work either. For instance, ctrl-m c
> and ctrl-m m work as expected to toggle between code and markdown formats,
> but ctrl-m 5 just types a 5.
>
> I am attaching a screenshot of what my notebook editor looks like.
> <http://python.6.x6.nabble.com/file/n5070023/ipythonscreenshot.png>
>
> Here
> <http://nbviewer.ipython.org/github/rasbt/python_reference/blob/master/tutorials/table_of_contents_ipython.ipynb>
> is an example of editor screenshots online that look different from my
> editor.
>
> Can you help me figure out how to make header cells/restore any other
> missing functionality to my notebook editor?
>
> Thanks!

Re: can't make header cell in ipython notebook editor, editor in general seems different from online examples

ksurrence
Dear Matthias,

Thanks for your response.

I'm not sure I remember now, but likely

pip install ipython

since that's in the instructions on the site. It can't have been very long ago, because I set up this computer this year.  I just tried

pip install --upgrade ipython[all]

and

pip install --upgrade ipython[notebook]

Now

ipython notebook

gets:

/usr/bin/ipython: No such file or directory

but

ipython2 notebook

gets

  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/IPython/html/notebookapp.py", line 60, in <module>
    raise ImportError(msg + ", but you have %s" % tornado.version)
ImportError: The IPython Notebook requires tornado >= 3.1.0, but you have 2.1

but when I do

sudo apt-get install python-tornado

I get

python-tornado is already the newest version

When I do a find from the root directory for *tornado* I see, among other things:

/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/tornado-2.1.egg-info

but no >=3.1 eggs.

So I'm confused now about how I can get the latest tornado.  I'm on Ubuntu 12.04.  Is that a problem somehow?  Do I need to switch to a newer Ubuntu?

Thanks very  much again for any help you or the list has to offer.

Best,
Katie

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 3:40 PM, Matthias Bussonnier <[hidden email]> wrote:
HI,

I suggest you write to [hidden email], we are deprecating IPython-User.

To respond to your question, you have a 3 year old version, how did you install ?

Le 2 sept. 2014 à 12:30, ksurrence <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Dear all,
>
> I am new to iPython notebook, and recently created my first one. For some
> reason, my notebook editor does not look like editor in the tutorials
> online, and has less functionality. I would like to make heading cells in my
> notebook, but I don't seem to have the option to make headings and the
> keyboard shortcuts for headings don't work either. For instance, ctrl-m c
> and ctrl-m m work as expected to toggle between code and markdown formats,
> but ctrl-m 5 just types a 5.
>
> I am attaching a screenshot of what my notebook editor looks like.
> <http://python.6.x6.nabble.com/file/n5070023/ipythonscreenshot.png>
>
> Here
> <http://nbviewer.ipython.org/github/rasbt/python_reference/blob/master/tutorials/table_of_contents_ipython.ipynb>
> is an example of editor screenshots online that look different from my
> editor.
>
> Can you help me figure out how to make header cells/restore any other
> missing functionality to my notebook editor?
>
> Thanks!

Katie Surrence, M.S.
Research Coordinator
Social Cognition Laboratory
New York State Psychiatric Institute

Re: can't make header cell in ipython notebook editor, editor in general seems different from online examples

Matthias Bussonnier
Hi Katie,

Le 3 sept. 2014 à 07:41, Katie Surrence <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

Hum, it does not seem to be a good ira to mix apt-* and pip install python packages.
I would suggest installing in a venv, or using th —user flag of pip to install ipython and
dependencies not in systems location.

So I'm confused now about how I can get the latest tornado.  I'm on Ubuntu 12.04.  Is that a problem somehow?  Do I need to switch to a newer Ubuntu?

I suppose apt-* packae do not have more recent tornato version as 12.4 is already more than 2 years old,
but I think that pip install --user  should do the trick.

You might also want to try Continuum anaconda, or Enthought Canopy that are full featured python distrib.

You should still mail IPython-dev instead of user as we try to keep one list for everything.

Matthias