command_hooks and Python-3.3.0a3???

Rob Healey
Greetings:

Do you know if the command_hooks patch will get into Python-3.3.0a3
before the end of next week when it is suppose to be released?

I truly hope so because I am stuck because command hooks are not
working for me???  I hope that I am NOT being too pushy as I know that
Eric is go busy already!

--
Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey

Re: command_hooks and Python-3.3.0a3???

Éric Araujo
Good morning,

> Do you know if the command_hooks patch will get into Python-3.3.0a3
> before the end of next week when it is suppose to be released?
I don’t know.  I don’t really focus on the Python alpha releases; I have
my eyes on the first beta, which will mean feature freeze for packaging
and distutils2: after that point it won’t be possible to add or remove
features, only bug fixes will be allowed.  The command hooks bug fix may
go in before or after the beta; I’ll try to add the develop command
before; I don’t know if the scripts generation feature (something like
setuptools’ console_scripts/gui_scripts entry points) will be ready in
time.  In the worst case people unsatisfied with packaging 1.0 in Python
3.3 will be able to use it to install a distutils2 2.0 release from PyPI.

Cheers

Re: command_hooks and Python-3.3.0a3???

Vinay Sajip
Éric Araujo <merwok <at> netwok.org> writes:

> before; I don’t know if the scripts generation feature (something like
> setuptools’ console_scripts/gui_scripts entry points) will be ready in
> time.

I have a working (though not comprehensively tested) implementation of script
generation in the pythonv branch (I've referred to it in the relevant Python
issue). I believe you had some GSoC work done on this last year, but I'm not
sure what the status of that is; I could help bring this into packaging, if it's
OK with you. It would be a shame if it were left out of 3.3 for lack of
time/resource. I'm quite comfortable in both POSIX and Windows, and I think
consideration of both environments is needed for the script generation, because
of e.g. executable launchers being needed on Windows (at least, currently).

Regards,

Vinay Sajip