comments plugin

Dieter Plaetinck
Guys, I'm fighting with the comments plugin and have some questions:

* who still has a copy of magicwords.py? the reference to it has been
  removed from git 2 years ago, and i can't find the plugin anywhere
  online.
  http://gitorious.org/pyblosxom/pyblosxom-web/commit/20c41ad28f2c42b5cdb3ad34eb46fbb386bbd507
  preferrably a recent version, i'm running (trying to) PB 1.5
* can I prohibit users from using the nickname 'Dieter_be', my full
  name, a hostname on my domain, etc in the name/url/e-mail fields?
* can users use a title in their comment? I see there is a title
  field, which is used as some kind of spam prevention (it holds the
  title of the entry), but it seems silly (redundant and useless) to
  store this in the actual xml of the comment
* does anyone have code for working threaded (nested) comments? i.e.
  the ability to reply to a specific comment and render comments as
  such.

* is it possible to show "validition warnings" when a comment is not
  accepted?  when i try to make comments and i "forget" a field like
  'Name', the comment will be silently dropped, forcing me to fill in
  everything again, and hoping it's better the n+1th try.
  i would expect the new page contains all my text but error messages
  for the appropriate fields.  Also, fieldnames in bold for mandatory
  stuff would be useful. (although i can easily just hack that in the
  template)

Dieter

Re: comments plugin

will kahn-greene
On 12/24/2010 07:19 AM, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> Guys, I'm fighting with the comments plugin and have some questions:
>
> * who still has a copy of magicwords.py? the reference to it has been
>   removed from git 2 years ago, and i can't find the plugin anywhere
>   online.
>   http://gitorious.org/pyblosxom/pyblosxom-web/commit/20c41ad28f2c42b5cdb3ad34eb46fbb386bbd507
>   preferrably a recent version, i'm running (trying to) PB 1.5

I don't think I've ever heard of that plugin.

> * can I prohibit users from using the nickname 'Dieter_be', my full
>   name, a hostname on my domain, etc in the name/url/e-mail fields?

I don't know what you mean by "prohibit".  You can probably write a
rejection plugin that does this.  There are examples out there.

> * can users use a title in their comment? I see there is a title
>   field, which is used as some kind of spam prevention (it holds the
>   title of the entry), but it seems silly (redundant and useless) to
>   store this in the actual xml of the comment

Not that I know of.

> * does anyone have code for working threaded (nested) comments? i.e.
>   the ability to reply to a specific comment and render comments as
>   such.

I don't think this is possible with the current comments plugin.  It's a
feature I think is sorely missing and one of the reasons I'd like to
write a new one someday.

> * is it possible to show "validition warnings" when a comment is not
>   accepted?  when i try to make comments and i "forget" a field like
>   'Name', the comment will be silently dropped, forcing me to fill in
>   everything again, and hoping it's better the n+1th try.
>   i would expect the new page contains all my text but error messages
>   for the appropriate fields.  Also, fieldnames in bold for mandatory
>   stuff would be useful. (although i can easily just hack that in the
>   template)

Now that I know of.

/will

Re: comments plugin

Dieter Plaetinck
On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 12:02:11 -0500
will kahn-greene <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/24/2010 07:19 AM, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> > Guys, I'm fighting with the comments plugin and have some questions:
> >
> > * who still has a copy of magicwords.py? the reference to it has
> > been removed from git 2 years ago, and i can't find the plugin
> > anywhere online.
> >   http://gitorious.org/pyblosxom/pyblosxom-web/commit/20c41ad28f2c42b5cdb3ad34eb46fbb386bbd507
> >   preferrably a recent version, i'm running (trying to) PB 1.5
>
> I don't think I've ever heard of that plugin.

Nathan, the original author, has sent it to me.  I tested it and it
still works great, it doesn't have a home, so I suggest to merge
it in the official repo.
http://gitorious.org/pyblosxom/pyblosxom/merge_requests/8

> > * can I prohibit users from using the nickname 'Dieter_be', my full
> >   name, a hostname on my domain, etc in the name/url/e-mail fields?
>
> I don't know what you mean by "prohibit".  You can probably write a
> rejection plugin that does this.  There are examples out there.

perfect.  I wrote a plugin to do this.
https://github.com/Dieterbe/dieterblog/commit/8c0295b9159b1b9765d345e1f2c612b3027d94ae
If you think such a plugin is material to be included in the repo, I
don't mind putting it in my pb repo and doing a merge request.  just
let me know.

> > * is it possible to show "validition warnings" when a comment is not
> >   accepted?  when i try to make comments and i "forget" a field like
> >   'Name', the comment will be silently dropped, forcing me to fill
> > in everything again, and hoping it's better the n+1th try.
> >   i would expect the new page contains all my text but error
> > messages for the appropriate fields.  Also, fieldnames in bold for
> > mandatory stuff would be useful. (although i can easily just hack
> > that in the template)
>
> Now that I know of.

Well, from working with the rejection plugins, i now know the
validation part can be done easily.  just too bad the error message is a
simple "Comment rejected", I would like per-field error messages which
I could populate like "This is not a valid email address".

Noted on my todo list.. something I could fix once I understand PB
well enough.. in two years or so ;)

It's also interesting, that when my nopose plugin, or the magicword one
rejects a comment, you get the form back with the entered data intact.
however, when the comments plugin itself rejects a comment (because the
author or comment field is empty), you "loose" your entered data.

Dieter