contentprovider component

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman-3
Hi,

I'd like to formalize a content provider component, being a
generalization of, for example, the viewlet manager.

Up until now I "abused" the viewlet manager as plain content providers
in our applications. And while this works, it might be wise to separate
these components out on a Grok level.

Since the component is very much view-like, I'd like to add this
component to grokcore.view. The components in grokcore.viewlet could
then be based on this generalization.

Any thoughts on this is highly appreciated!

regards, jw

Re: contentprovider component

Sylvain Viollon
On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 11:58:06 +0200
Jan-Wijbrand Kolman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,

  Hello,

> I'd like to formalize a content provider component, being a
> generalization of, for example, the viewlet manager.
>
> Up until now I "abused" the viewlet manager as plain content providers
> in our applications. And while this works, it might be wise to
> separate these components out on a Grok level.
>
> Since the component is very much view-like, I'd like to add this
> component to grokcore.view. The components in grokcore.viewlet could
> then be based on this generalization.
>
> Any thoughts on this is highly appreciated!

  In Silva I do already have such a component. It is the same than a
  viewlet manager in fact, at the exception it is referred by 'provider'
  in the template namespace instead of 'viewletmanager' (which is kind
  of long).

  Regards,

  Sylvain,

--
Sylvain Viollon -- Infrae
t +31 10 243 7051 -- http://infrae.com

On 6/1/11 14:23 , Sylvain Viollon wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 11:58:06 +0200
> Jan-Wijbrand Kolman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Since the component is very much view-like, I'd like to add this
>> component to grokcore.view. The components in grokcore.viewlet could
>> then be based on this generalization.
>>
>> Any thoughts on this is highly appreciated!
>
>   In Silva I do already have such a component. It is the same than a
>   viewlet manager in fact, at the exception it is referred by 'provider'
>   in the template namespace instead of 'viewletmanager' (which is kind
>   of long).

So, would you like to have that component in grokcore.view instead? I
think I would, so I can make it. Would it be useful for you too?

regards, jw

Re: contentprovider component

Sylvain Viollon
On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 16:06:22 +0200
Jan-Wijbrand Kolman <[hidden email]> wrote:

  Hello,

> On 6/1/11 14:23 , Sylvain Viollon wrote:
> > On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 11:58:06 +0200
> > Jan-Wijbrand Kolman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Since the component is very much view-like, I'd like to add this
> >> component to grokcore.view. The components in grokcore.viewlet
> >> could then be based on this generalization.
> >>
> >> Any thoughts on this is highly appreciated!
> >
> >   In Silva I do already have such a component. It is the same than a
> >   viewlet manager in fact, at the exception it is referred by
> > 'provider' in the template namespace instead of
> > 'viewletmanager' (which is kind of long).
>
> So, would you like to have that component in grokcore.view instead? I
> think I would, so I can make it. Would it be useful for you too?

  I think my answer said implicitly yes :)

  Regards,

  Sylvain,

On 6/1/11 16:58 , Sylvain Viollon wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 16:06:22 +0200
> Jan-Wijbrand Kolman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 6/1/11 14:23 , Sylvain Viollon wrote:

>>>   In Silva I do already have such a component. It is the same than a
>>>   viewlet manager in fact, at the exception it is referred by
>>> 'provider' in the template namespace instead of
>>> 'viewletmanager' (which is kind of long).
>>
>> So, would you like to have that component in grokcore.view instead? I
>> think I would, so I can make it. Would it be useful for you too?
>
>   I think my answer said implicitly yes :)

I finally got around doing this. It is here:

  http://svn.zope.org/grokcore.view/branches/jw-contentproviders/

I hope someone has a moment of time to give it a quick look.

Sylvain, can I ask you explicitly to look at how the content provider
grokker configuration is triggered from the meta.zcml and
meta-minimal.zcml? And if I did The Right Thing to make the content
provider useful in a five.grok context?

BTW, I tried to incorporate the ContentProvider component into
grokcore.viewlet - as ViewletManager and Viewlets are basically content
providers too - but I found myself adding all kinds of special cases. So
I decided for now not to do this.

regards, jw

Re: contentprovider component

Christian Klinger
Hi JW,

thanks for your work. The implementation looks fine. But
it the ftests/contentprovider.py it seems to me that there
is more code in it that needed. Maybe you can have a quick look on
this test again.

It seems you want to show some layer integration. But i can't see
the test for it.

HTH
Christian

On 6/23/11 15:16 , Christian Klinger wrote:
> thanks for your work. The implementation looks fine. But
> it the ftests/contentprovider.py it seems to me that there
> is more code in it that needed. Maybe you can have a quick look on
> this test again.
>
> It seems you want to show some layer integration. But i can't see
> the test for it.

Hmm, you're right. I copied some tests from grokcore.viewlet as a
starting point, but apparently forgot to clean this one out properly.

Let me have a look.

regards, jw

Re: contentprovider component

Sylvain Viollon

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 14:03 +0200, "Jan-Wijbrand Kolman"
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,

  Hello,

> I finally got around doing this. It is here:
>
>   http://svn.zope.org/grokcore.view/branches/jw-contentproviders/
>
> I hope someone has a moment of time to give it a quick look.
>
> Sylvain, can I ask you explicitly to look at how the content provider
> grokker configuration is triggered from the meta.zcml and
> meta-minimal.zcml? And if I did The Right Thing to make the content
> provider useful in a five.grok context?

  I think it is good.

  Regards,

  Sylvain

On 6/23/11 15:44 , Jan-Wijbrand Kolman wrote:

> On 6/23/11 15:16 , Christian Klinger wrote:
>> thanks for your work. The implementation looks fine. But
>> it the ftests/contentprovider.py it seems to me that there
>> is more code in it that needed. Maybe you can have a quick look on
>> this test again.
>>
>> It seems you want to show some layer integration. But i can't see
>> the test for it.
>
> Hmm, you're right. I copied some tests from grokcore.viewlet as a
> starting point, but apparently forgot to clean this one out properly.
>
> Let me have a look.

I renamed that test into "layer.py" to indicate it tests the layering. I
think this branch is mergeable now.

On 6/25/11 12:28 , Sylvain VIOLLON wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 14:03 +0200, "Jan-Wijbrand Kolman"
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I finally got around doing this. It is here:
>>
>>   http://svn.zope.org/grokcore.view/branches/jw-contentproviders/
>>
>> I hope someone has a moment of time to give it a quick look.
>>
>> Sylvain, can I ask you explicitly to look at how the content provider
>> grokker configuration is triggered from the meta.zcml and
>> meta-minimal.zcml? And if I did The Right Thing to make the content
>> provider useful in a five.grok context?
>
>   I think it is good.

I released grokcore.view 2.6.
regards, jw