convert python 3 to python2

Ankita Gupta-2
Not related to Django, I have a project made in python3 but due to some package installation, i need to convert my project to python2. Is there any method or package to solve this?

Re: convert python 3 to python2

utkarsh Raj
okay will get back to you after looking into it

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 11:02 PM Ankita Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
Not related to Django, I have a project made in python3 but due to some package installation, i need to convert my project to python2. Is there any method or package to solve this?

Re: convert python 3 to python2

Sipum Mishra
Hi Ankita,

In coming January, python 2 is going to retire. So better to use python 3.

Thanks

On Saturday, September 21, 2019 at 11:07:21 PM UTC+5:30, Sipum wrote:
Hi Ankita,

In coming January, python 2 is going to retire. So better to use python 3.
Only official access is denied, we can still work in python2. Anyway thanks.

Thanks

On Sat, 21 Sep, 2019, 11:02 PM Ankita Gupta, <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="TessmGSLBAAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">ankita....@...> wrote:
Not related to Django, I have a project made in python3 but due to some package installation, i need to convert my project to python2. Is there any method or package to solve this?

Re: convert python 3 to python2

Larry Martell
On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 4:15 AM Andréas Kühne
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Official access isn't denied - and python 2 will probably be available. The problem is that you don't get any security fixes or any updates at all. That in itself is a major problem. If someone is saying that you need to use python 2, I would strongly recommend them to not even think about it. All code that is written will be useless in a couple of years time, and need to be updated or even worse thrown away.

This is totally untrue. Yes, all code should be converted to py3, but
that is simply not happing at many companies. They will continue to
use their py2 apps, and either support them internally or purchase py2
support from one of the many companies offering it. Is that a good
idea? No, but it's a reality.

Re: convert python 3 to python2

Deep Sukhwani
Wow, TIL there are companies selling support for Python 2? Never heard of it. So basically we are saying these companies will maintain there own version of Python programming language which will continue to be maintained as long as they have paid users for Python 2? I seriously doubt that. Or may be I am understanding it all wrong.

--
Regards
Deep L Sukhwani

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Official access isn't denied - and python 2 will probably be available. The problem is that you don't get any security fixes or any updates at all. That in itself is a major problem. If someone is saying that you need to use python 2, I would strongly recommend them to not even think about it. All code that is written will be useless in a couple of years time, and need to be updated or even worse thrown away.

This is totally untrue. Yes, all code should be converted to py3, but
that is simply not happing at many companies. They will continue to
use their py2 apps, and either support them internally or purchase py2
support from one of the many companies offering it. Is that a good
idea? No, but it's a reality.

Re: convert python 3 to python2

Larry Martell
Anaconda, Enthought, ActiveState, Red Hat and maybe others as well.
Also large companies can do their own support.

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 8:11 AM Deep Sukhwani <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wow, TIL there are companies selling support for Python 2? Never heard of it. So basically we are saying these companies will maintain there own version of Python programming language which will continue to be maintained as long as they have paid users for Python 2? I seriously doubt that. Or may be I am understanding it all wrong.
>

> --
> Regards
> Deep L Sukhwani
>

> On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 at 17:32, Larry Martell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 4:15 AM Andréas Kühne
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Official access isn't denied - and python 2 will probably be available. The problem is that you don't get any security fixes or any updates at all. That in itself is a major problem. If someone is saying that you need to use python 2, I would strongly recommend them to not even think about it. All code that is written will be useless in a couple of years time, and need to be updated or even worse thrown away.
>>
>> This is totally untrue. Yes, all code should be converted to py3, but
>> that is simply not happing at many companies. They will continue to
>> use their py2 apps, and either support them internally or purchase py2
>> support from one of the many companies offering it. Is that a good
>> idea? No, but it's a reality.

Re: convert python 3 to python2

Deep Sukhwani
Thanks for the prompt reply. Did a quick cursory check with Anaconda, I don't think Anaconda does it. In fact Anaconda has posted a few months ago about Python 2's EOL (End of Life) - https://www.anaconda.com/end-of-life-eol-for-python-2-7-is-coming-are-you-ready/

Also, just did a quick look at their professional services, couldn't see anything suggesting they will offer python 2 support beyond the python 2's community itself.

--
Regards
Deep L Sukhwani

On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 at 17:53, Larry Martell <[hidden email]> wrote:
Anaconda, Enthought, ActiveState, Red Hat and maybe others as well.
Also large companies can do their own support.

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 8:11 AM Deep Sukhwani <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wow, TIL there are companies selling support for Python 2? Never heard of it. So basically we are saying these companies will maintain there own version of Python programming language which will continue to be maintained as long as they have paid users for Python 2? I seriously doubt that. Or may be I am understanding it all wrong.
>

> --
> Regards
> Deep L Sukhwani
>

> On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 at 17:32, Larry Martell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 4:15 AM Andréas Kühne
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Official access isn't denied - and python 2 will probably be available. The problem is that you don't get any security fixes or any updates at all. That in itself is a major problem. If someone is saying that you need to use python 2, I would strongly recommend them to not even think about it. All code that is written will be useless in a couple of years time, and need to be updated or even worse thrown away.
>>
>> This is totally untrue. Yes, all code should be converted to py3, but
>> that is simply not happing at many companies. They will continue to
>> use their py2 apps, and either support them internally or purchase py2
>> support from one of the many companies offering it. Is that a good
>> idea? No, but it's a reality.

Re: convert python 3 to python2

Larry Martell
You can get anyone to do anything for enough money.

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 8:30 AM Deep Sukhwani <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the prompt reply. Did a quick cursory check with Anaconda, I don't think Anaconda does it. In fact Anaconda has posted a few months ago about Python 2's EOL (End of Life) - https://www.anaconda.com/end-of-life-eol-for-python-2-7-is-coming-are-you-ready/
>
> Also, just did a quick look at their professional services, couldn't see anything suggesting they will offer python 2 support beyond the python 2's community itself.
>
> --
> Regards
> Deep L Sukhwani
>

> On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 at 17:53, Larry Martell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Anaconda, Enthought, ActiveState, Red Hat and maybe others as well.
>> Also large companies can do their own support.
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 8:11 AM Deep Sukhwani <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Wow, TIL there are companies selling support for Python 2? Never heard of it. So basically we are saying these companies will maintain there own version of Python programming language which will continue to be maintained as long as they have paid users for Python 2? I seriously doubt that. Or may be I am understanding it all wrong.
>> >

>> > --
>> > Regards
>> > Deep L Sukhwani

Re: convert python 3 to python2

Nick Sarbicki
I'm not convinced anyone could pay me enough to go back to Python 1...

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 1:32 PM Larry Martell <[hidden email]> wrote:
You can get anyone to do anything for enough money.

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 8:30 AM Deep Sukhwani <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the prompt reply. Did a quick cursory check with Anaconda, I don't think Anaconda does it. In fact Anaconda has posted a few months ago about Python 2's EOL (End of Life) - https://www.anaconda.com/end-of-life-eol-for-python-2-7-is-coming-are-you-ready/
>
> Also, just did a quick look at their professional services, couldn't see anything suggesting they will offer python 2 support beyond the python 2's community itself.
>
> --
> Regards
> Deep L Sukhwani
>

> On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 at 17:53, Larry Martell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Anaconda, Enthought, ActiveState, Red Hat and maybe others as well.
>> Also large companies can do their own support.
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 8:11 AM Deep Sukhwani <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Wow, TIL there are companies selling support for Python 2? Never heard of it. So basically we are saying these companies will maintain there own version of Python programming language which will continue to be maintained as long as they have paid users for Python 2? I seriously doubt that. Or may be I am understanding it all wrong.
>> >

>> > --
>> > Regards
>> > Deep L Sukhwani

Re: convert python 3 to python2

Larry Martell
Ha! How about perl? ;-)

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 8:33 AM Nick Sarbicki <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not convinced anyone could pay me enough to go back to Python 1...
>

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 1:32 PM Larry Martell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> You can get anyone to do anything for enough money.
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 8:30 AM Deep Sukhwani <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Thanks for the prompt reply. Did a quick cursory check with Anaconda, I don't think Anaconda does it. In fact Anaconda has posted a few months ago about Python 2's EOL (End of Life) - https://www.anaconda.com/end-of-life-eol-for-python-2-7-is-coming-are-you-ready/
>> >
>> > Also, just did a quick look at their professional services, couldn't see anything suggesting they will offer python 2 support beyond the python 2's community itself.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Regards
>> > Deep L Sukhwani

Re: convert python 3 to python2

Andréas Kühne
Yes of course - I think RedHat will be continuing to support a python 2 environment because they haven't updated their own internal infrastructure and also their distributions to python 3.

However - using one of those is still not very smart. The problem is that all plugins have moved on. So Django, Flask, Numpy, Scipy, Mypy, Pypy and so on are ported to python 3. The main argument still stands - why invest money today into a language that is obsolete - and that you have had several years notice to stop using? Porting to python 3 isn't that hard either - there are a lot of tools to help you do that. I myself have ported a website from python 2 to python 3, with tens of thousands rows of code.

So all you need to do is to set aside time to port the applications - and if you don't do it now, you WILL need to do it later - that's a simple fact. And then the code will be in the best case scenario obsolete, worst case useless. I can't see one reason to invest a cent into writing python 2 code. I know that I am lucky to be able to define what I want to work with and to set requirements and also have no legacy code. But even having legacy code, it's just a matter of investing into your own application.

To say that it can't be done - look at Instagram - they did it with their codebase, and I don't think that many of us are working on that size of codebase.....

Regards,

Andréas

Den tis 24 sep. 2019 kl 14:42 skrev Larry Martell <[hidden email]>:
Ha! How about perl? ;-)

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 8:33 AM Nick Sarbicki <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not convinced anyone could pay me enough to go back to Python 1...
>

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 1:32 PM Larry Martell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> You can get anyone to do anything for enough money.
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 8:30 AM Deep Sukhwani <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Thanks for the prompt reply. Did a quick cursory check with Anaconda, I don't think Anaconda does it. In fact Anaconda has posted a few months ago about Python 2's EOL (End of Life) - https://www.anaconda.com/end-of-life-eol-for-python-2-7-is-coming-are-you-ready/
>> >
>> > Also, just did a quick look at their professional services, couldn't see anything suggesting they will offer python 2 support beyond the python 2's community itself.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Regards
>> > Deep L Sukhwani

Re: convert python 3 to python2

אורי
On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 8:32 PM Ankita Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
Not related to Django...

Then write to [hidden email]

Re: convert python 3 to python2

Mike Dewhirst-3
I think the original question was around backwards conversion of 3.x
code to 2.7.

I don't know of course because all my efforts have been forwards but I
believe the six module would be the easiest way backwards.

And I imagine you would simply run your unit tests in 2.7 and use the
six utilities to correct errors. With a little luck that would
simultaneously keep the codebase compatible with 3.x for the inevitable
forward upgrade.

Just a thought

Mike

On 24/09/2019 10:00 pm, Larry Martell wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 4:15 AM Andréas Kühne
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Official access isn't denied - and python 2 will probably be available. The problem is that you don't get any security fixes or any updates at all. That in itself is a major problem. If someone is saying that you need to use python 2, I would strongly recommend them to not even think about it. All code that is written will be useless in a couple of years time, and need to be updated or even worse thrown away.
> This is totally untrue. Yes, all code should be converted to py3, but
> that is simply not happing at many companies. They will continue to
> use their py2 apps, and either support them internally or purchase py2
> support from one of the many companies offering it. Is that a good
> idea? No, but it's a reality.

Re: convert python 3 to python2

gamesbook
Agreed - Mike's suggestion is a very sensible one.  In the short term, supporting 2 and 3 could be very useful, until you have the option to drop support for 2.

On Wednesday, 25 September 2019 01:00:44 UTC+2, Mike Dewhirst wrote:
I think the original question was around backwards conversion of 3.x
code to 2.7.

I don't know of course because all my efforts have been forwards but I
believe the six module would be the easiest way backwards.

And I imagine you would simply run your unit tests in 2.7 and use the
six utilities to correct errors. With a little luck that would
simultaneously keep the codebase compatible with 3.x for the inevitable
forward upgrade.

Just a thought

Mike

On 24/09/2019 10:00 pm, Larry Martell wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 4:15 AM Andréas Kühne
> <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="pvNkx8eIBQAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">andrea...@...> wrote:
>> Official access isn't denied - and python 2 will probably be available. The problem is that you don't get any security fixes or any updates at all. That in itself is a major problem. If someone is saying that you need to use python 2, I would strongly recommend them to not even think about it. All code that is written will be useless in a couple of years time, and need to be updated or even worse thrown away.
> This is totally untrue. Yes, all code should be converted to py3, but
> that is simply not happing at many companies. They will continue to
> use their py2 apps, and either support them internally or purchase py2
> support from one of the many companies offering it. Is that a good
> idea? No, but it's a reality.

Re: convert python 3 to python2

Aldian Fazrihady
Ankita, why would a new project be forced to use Python 2 by a (probably old)  package? A well-maintained package must already have its Python 3 version.
Why can't we find an alternative package that uses Python 3? I am curious about what package that is.