coordination for translation of the Python Documentation

coordination for translation of the Python Documentation

Manlio Perillo-3
Regards.

There exists an effort to aid the coordination of the translations of
the Python Documentation?

Thanks  Manlio Perillo

Re: coordination for translation of the Python Documentation

Aahz
On Fri, Mar 10, 2006, Manlio Perillo wrote:

> There exists an effort to aid the coordination of the translations of
> the Python Documentation?

AFAIK, there are no formal efforts, though there are many people willing
to help.  You'll probably get more useful responses if you ask a more
specific question.
--
Aahz ([hidden email])           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"19. A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming,
is not worth knowing."  --Alan Perlis

Aahz ha scritto:
> On Fri, Mar 10, 2006, Manlio Perillo wrote:
>> There exists an effort to aid the coordination of the translations of
>> the Python Documentation?
>
> AFAIK, there are no formal efforts, though there are many people willing
> to help.  You'll probably get more useful responses if you ask a more
> specific question.

Well, I'm the new maintainer of python.it, the italian Python web site.

I hoped for some formal guidelines or support to aid the translations.

Currently I'm porting all the documents to a Subversion repository
http://svn.python.it,
and I'm trying to write some scripts for automate the transtation of the
Standard Documentation (or at least to help merging changes in the
original documents into the translations)
http://svn.python.it/admin/trunk/scripts/update-version.py

There are some similar efforts?

Thanks and regards  Manlio Perillo

Re: coordination for translation of the Python Documentation

Rodrigo Dias Arruda Senra

On 10Mar 2006, at 2:34 PM, Aahz wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 10, 2006, Manlio Perillo wrote:
>>
>> There exists an effort to aid the coordination of the translations
>> of the Python Documentation?
>
> AFAIK, there are no formal efforts, though there are many people
> willing to help.  You'll probably get more useful responses if
> you ask a more specific question.

If you are planning to target Italian language, you can check what
other people is doing to coordinate their own efforts.
Some examples:

French - [1] (Translation effort)
Brazilian Portuguese - [2] (Translation effort)
Italian - [3] (actual documentation translated)
Others - [4] (where to dig further)

[1] http://frpython.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://www.pythonbrasil.com.br/moin.cgi/PythonDoc
[3] http://www.python.it/doc/Python-Docs/html/
[4] http://www.python.org/doc/nonenglish/

best regards,
Senra

Rodrigo Senra
______________
rsenra @ acm.org
http://rodrigo.senra.nom.br

Rodrigo Senra ha scritto:

> On 10Mar 2006, at 2:34 PM, Aahz wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 10, 2006, Manlio Perillo wrote:
>>>
>>> There exists an effort to aid the coordination of the translations of
>>> the Python Documentation?
>>
>> AFAIK, there are no formal efforts, though there are many people
>> willing to help.  You'll probably get more useful responses if
>> you ask a more specific question.
>
> If you are planning to target Italian language, you can check what
> other people is doing to coordinate their own efforts.
> Some examples:
>
> French - [1] (Translation effort)
> Brazilian Portuguese - [2] (Translation effort)
> Italian - [3] (actual documentation translated)

Well, I'm indeed the new maintainer of python.it.

The problem is that the translated documentation is not "integrated"
into the CPython distribution.

I whould like, at least, to have it.python.org/docs or
docs.python.org/it points to the translated documentation.

Moreover the i18n projects is dead...

The only translations "integrated" in the main site are the FAQ
(BTW, who is the maintainer of this part of the site?)

Thanks and regards  Manlio Perillo