debian tkinter broken or tk problem (or what)?

debian tkinter broken or tk problem (or what)?

Michael Lange
Hello,

I noticed that for some reason some Tkinter apps I wrote and successfully
used for a while seem to be broken when run on my newly installed debian
system (python-2.3.5 / tk-8.4.9).
The problem I noticed arises when I run a subprocess with popen2.Popen4()
and catch the output with tk.createfilehandler() ; sometimes this works without
problems, but sometimes after a while the gui freezes and in the process list
I can see the subprocess as "zombie".
Normally I would suspect my code to be buggy, but like I said, the same scripts
run fine on mandrake (python-2.3.3 / tk-8.4.5).

I just wondered if anyone has a clue, may the reason be the debian build or the
tk version ?

Best regards

Michael

Re: debian tkinter broken or tk problem (or what)?

Michael Lange
On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:03:05 +0200
Michael Lange <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I noticed that for some reason some Tkinter apps I wrote and successfully
> used for a while seem to be broken when run on my newly installed debian
> system (python-2.3.5 / tk-8.4.9).
> The problem I noticed arises when I run a subprocess with popen2.Popen4()
> and catch the output with tk.createfilehandler() ; sometimes this works without
> problems, but sometimes after a while the gui freezes and in the process list
> I can see the subprocess as "zombie".
> Normally I would suspect my code to be buggy, but like I said, the same scripts
> run fine on mandrake (python-2.3.3 / tk-8.4.5).
>
> I just wondered if anyone has a clue, may the reason be the debian build or the
> tk version ?

Hello again,

another thing I noticed, on debian (unlike mandrake) tcl is build with thread support;
does anyone know if it is likely that my Tkinter trouble is caused by this?

Regards

Michael