developing with grok

Tamer Higazi
Hi people!
I am new at grok, and I am working with the Grok Book, which is good.

Is there a way to make changes in the sourcecode (not in the template) and to see the results directly in the browser?!

I played around with django in the past, there i made a change in the app, and it wasn't necessary to restart the server. Is the same possible with Grok?!

with kind regards

Tamer Higazi

Re: developing with grok

Sebastian Ware
Unfortunately not. However, you can add a breakpoint and drop in to the debugger. It is often a quick way to solve problems. Search http://grok.zope.org for "debugging" and you will get some info on how to set it up.

Mvh Sebastian

13 nov 2011 kl. 17.30 skrev MrSmile:

> Hi people!
> I am new at grok, and I am working with the Grok Book, which is good.
>
> Is there a way to make changes in the sourcecode (not in the template) and
> to see the results directly in the browser?!
>
> I played around with django in the past, there i made a change in the app,
> and it wasn't necessary to restart the server. Is the same possible with
> Grok?!
>

> with kind regards
>

> Tamer Higazi

Re: developing with grok

Uli Fouquet
Hi there,

Am Montag, den 21.11.2011, 09:54 +0100 schrieb Sebastian Ware:
> Unfortunately not. However, you can add a breakpoint and drop in to the
> debugger. It is often a quick way to solve problems. Search
> http://grok.zope.org for "debugging" and you will get some info on how
> to set it up.

Oops, so the --reload option from paster is gone? In former times one
could get the automatic reloading behaviour by starting paster by
something like:

  ./bin/paster serve --reload parts/etc/debug.ini

and got both, debugging and reloading. What gives

  ./bin/paster serve --help

? Does '--reload' not work any more?

Best regards,

--
Uli (that works mainly with older grok instances currently)

Re: developing with grok

Sebastian Ware
Doing --reload seems to work fine. I have never used it myself because I use a keyboard shortcut to restart my app instead.

Mvh Sebastian

21 nov 2011 kl. 10.35 skrev Uli Fouquet:

> Hi there,
>
> Am Montag, den 21.11.2011, 09:54 +0100 schrieb Sebastian Ware:
>> Unfortunately not. However, you can add a breakpoint and drop in to the
>> debugger. It is often a quick way to solve problems. Search
>> http://grok.zope.org for "debugging" and you will get some info on how
>> to set it up.
>
> Oops, so the --reload option from paster is gone? In former times one
> could get the automatic reloading behaviour by starting paster by
> something like:
>
>  ./bin/paster serve --reload parts/etc/debug.ini
>
> and got both, debugging and reloading. What gives
>
>  ./bin/paster serve --help
>
> ? Does '--reload' not work any more?
>
> Best regards,
>
> --
> Uli (that works mainly with older grok instances currently)

Re: developing with grok

Christian Klinger
Hi Tamer,

i read somewhere that it should be possible to use sauna.reload [1] in a
grok-environment. Of course the package must be changed a bit for grok,
but i guess it should work.

[1]
http://opensourcehacker.com/2011/11/08/sauna-reload-the-most-awesomely-named-python-package-ever/

Christian