django talk

Brian May-11
Hello,

It occurred to me that I should stop procrastinating, and offer to
give a talk at PUG.

Previously I have given a talk at LUV on my photo database application
(spud) written in Python using Django. However I didn't go into a lot
of detail of the Python programming techniques I have used.

I found when initially writing code with Django I ended up constantly
repeating myself, breaking the DRY (don't repeat yourself rule). Or I
ended up putting significant amounts of presentation layer stuff in
the db model class, ending up in a complete mess. So I ended up
writing a generic library (or should I call it an Django App?) to try
to clean up this mess up and keep everything separate in the
appropriate places.

Any interest?
--
Brian May <[hidden email]>

Re: django talk

Richard Jones-7
On 14 February 2012 15:57, Brian May <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It occurred to me that I should stop procrastinating, and offer to
> give a talk at PUG.

Excellent! I won't be there to see it, sadly.

> Previously I have given a talk at LUV on my photo database application
> (spud) written in Python using Django. However I didn't go into a lot
> of detail of the Python programming techniques I have used.
>
> I found when initially writing code with Django I ended up constantly
> repeating myself, breaking the DRY (don't repeat yourself rule). Or I
> ended up putting significant amounts of presentation layer stuff in
> the db model class, ending up in a complete mess. So I ended up
> writing a generic library (or should I call it an Django App?) to try
> to clean up this mess up and keep everything separate in the
> appropriate places.

http://goo.gl/mod/GznI - link goes to google moderator question of
possible relevance :-)

    Richard

Re: django talk

Ed Schofield-3
Hi Brian,

On 14/02/2012, at 3:57 PM, Brian May wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It occurred to me that I should stop procrastinating, and offer to
> give a talk at PUG.
>
> Previously I have given a talk at LUV on my photo database application
> (spud) written in Python using Django. However I didn't go into a lot
> of detail of the Python programming techniques I have used.
>
> I found when initially writing code with Django I ended up constantly
> repeating myself, breaking the DRY (don't repeat yourself rule). Or I
> ended up putting significant amounts of presentation layer stuff in
> the db model class, ending up in a complete mess. So I ended up
> writing a generic library (or should I call it an Django App?) to try
> to clean up this mess up and keep everything separate in the
> appropriate places.
>
> Any interest?

That sounds great! I'm sure many of us will be interested to hear about it. I've taken the liberty of adding you to the wiki. Please feel free to edit it further:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/MelbournePUG

(Your talk needn't be 15 minutes; it could be longer or shorter as you like...)

Cheers,
    Ed

--
Dr. Edward Schofield
(M) +61 (0)405 676 229

Re: django talk

Brian May-11
On 14 February 2012 16:22, Ed Schofield <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Any interest?
>
> That sounds great! I'm sure many of us will be interested to hear about it. I've taken the liberty of adding you to the wiki. Please feel free to edit it further:
>
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/MelbournePUG

I am just wondering if I am still going to get an audience...

I have a suspicion a number of people will be going to this event instead:

http://apps.freesoftware.asn.au/invite/brett-smith-fsf/
http://www.csamuel.org/2012/02/28/brett-smith-free-software-foundation-talks-on-the-tpp-in-melbourne-march-5th

Maybe I should postpone my talk to next month?
--
Brian May <[hidden email]>

Re: django talk

Ben Sturmfels
On 28/02/12 11:01, Brian May wrote:

> I have a suspicion a number of people will be going to this event instead:
>
> http://apps.freesoftware.asn.au/invite/brett-smith-fsf/
> http://www.csamuel.org/2012/02/28/brett-smith-free-software-foundation-talks-on-the-tpp-in-melbourne-march-5th
>
> Maybe I should postpone my talk to next month?

Very sorry to conflict with your talk Brian. We didn't get much notice
of Brett Smith's visit. I'd certainly be interested in seeing your
Django talk if you could re-schedule.

Regards,
Ben

Re: django talk

Nick Mellor
Hi Brian,

I'd be interested. When is it?

Nick

On 14/02/2012 3:57 PM, Brian May wrote:
Hello,

It occurred to me that I should stop procrastinating, and offer to
give a talk at PUG.

Previously I have given a talk at LUV on my photo database application
(spud) written in Python using Django. However I didn't go into a lot
of detail of the Python programming techniques I have used.

I found when initially writing code with Django I ended up constantly
repeating myself, breaking the DRY (don't repeat yourself rule). Or I
ended up putting significant amounts of presentation layer stuff in
the db model class, ending up in a complete mess. So I ended up
writing a generic library (or should I call it an Django App?) to try
to clean up this mess up and keep everything separate in the
appropriate places.

Any interest?

--

Logo Nick Mellor 1300 485 114
Alexander Technique Teacher and IT Consultant

hand-written initials

Re: django talk

Brian May-11
On 28 February 2012 12:21, Ben Sturmfels <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Very sorry to conflict with your talk Brian. We didn't get much notice of
> Brett Smith's visit. I'd certainly be interested in seeing your Django talk
> if you could re-schedule.

No problem, I don't blame you in anyway; I certainly understand how
these things work.

Considering the possibility that the speaker will be attending Brett's
talk, I think it is wise that I postpone my talk until next month.
--
Brian May <[hidden email]>

Re: django talk

Tennessee Leeuwenburg-3
I've lined myself up for the 15-minute slot, and scheduled some time this week for ramping up the entertainment value of the framework "informational" slides constituting my presentation.

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 12:33 PM, Brian May <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 28 February 2012 12:21, Ben Sturmfels <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Very sorry to conflict with your talk Brian. We didn't get much notice of
> Brett Smith's visit. I'd certainly be interested in seeing your Django talk
> if you could re-schedule.

No problem, I don't blame you in anyway; I certainly understand how
these things work.

Considering the possibility that the speaker will be attending Brett's
talk, I think it is wise that I postpone my talk until next month.
--
Brian May <[hidden email]>

Re: django talk

Anthony Briggs-3