europython website

Benedikt Hegner
Hi all,

sorry, it is a little bit late but I was quite busy the last days.
Let me answer Michael's questions about Indico:
This software was used before for other conferences and needs
definitely no hand-holding or baby-sitting. The features are for
example timetables, call for abstracts, registration, printing and
everything related to the background work for track chairs
(scheduling tracks, shifting talks, rejecting talks etc.). This
software is free software (GPL), available as a package and yes - it
can be used for the next conferences. It is not a big task to
transfer a full conference (with talks, papers etc.) to another
server. One major point - it is supported by a responsive developer
group.
We already have a running Europython test site at CERN ( http://
indico.cern.ch/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=44 ). In principle we have
nothing more to do than to use it. (I can create all needed accounts)

So I propose the following:
programme, timetables, registration, call for abstracts and all the
work the track chairs have to do should be done with the Indico
solution. All other information like travel information, sponsors,
public relation stuff can be put on a more or less simple CMS without
fancy features. We have already some information prepared and need to
fill it in somewhere. Personally I prefer Plone but I am happy with
every other out-of-the-box solution.

As Paul said - let's this year focus on content.

Cheers
Benedikt

--
Benedikt Hegner, DESY FLC
Notkestr. 85, D-22607 Hamburg

at  CERN:
Office: 32/4b-20
Phone: +41 (0)22 767 6487
Fax:   +41 (0)22 782 8923

Re: europython website

Michael Hudson
Benedikt Hegner <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> sorry, it is a little bit late but I was quite busy the last days.
> Let me answer Michael's questions about Indico:
> This software was used before for other conferences and needs
> definitely no hand-holding or baby-sitting. The features are for
> example timetables, call for abstracts, registration, printing and
> everything related to the background work for track chairs
> (scheduling tracks, shifting talks, rejecting talks etc.). This
> software is free software (GPL), available as a package and yes - it
> can be used for the next conferences. It is not a big task to
> transfer a full conference (with talks, papers etc.) to another
> server. One major point - it is supported by a responsive developer
> group.

This is all good -- I'd attempted to install it and failed and
attempting to email the user group bounced, so I was getting a bit
discouraged...

> We already have a running Europython test site at CERN ( http://
> indico.cern.ch/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=44 ). In principle we have
> nothing more to do than to use it. (I can create all needed accounts)

Looks fine to me.  Something I didn't see in the parts of indico I
looked at was anything to do with submitting talks, though.

> So I propose the following:
> programme, timetables, registration, call for abstracts and all the
> work the track chairs have to do should be done with the Indico
> solution. All other information like travel information, sponsors,
> public relation stuff can be put on a more or less simple CMS without
> fancy features. We have already some information prepared and need to
> fill it in somewhere. Personally I prefer Plone but I am happy with
> every other out-of-the-box solution.

You seem to have a start on this information in the indico instance
already -- is there a need for another CMS?

Cheers,
mwh

--
  The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste.
              -- Steve Jobs, (From _Triumph of the Nerds_ PBS special)

Re: europython website

Benedikt Hegner
Hello Michael,

> This is all good -- I'd attempted to install it and failed and
> attempting to email the user group bounced, so I was getting a bit
> discouraged...
Hmm.... what's the address you've tried?

>> We already have a running Europython test site at CERN ( http://
>> indico.cern.ch/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=44 ). In principle we have
>> nothing more to do than to use it. (I can create all needed accounts)
>
> Looks fine to me.  Something I didn't see in the parts of indico I
> looked at was anything to do with submitting talks, though.
It's in there but not  accessible for the public.

>> So I propose the following:
>> programme, timetables, registration, call for abstracts and all the
>> work the track chairs have to do should be done with the Indico
>> solution. All other information like travel information, sponsors,
>> public relation stuff can be put on a more or less simple CMS without
>> fancy features. We have already some information prepared and need to
>> fill it in somewhere. Personally I prefer Plone but I am happy with
>> every other out-of-the-box solution.
>
> You seem to have a start on this information in the indico instance
> already -- is there a need for another CMS?
Yes and no - for the sprints I would like to have a wiki which is not
possible in Indico as far as I know.

Cheers
Benedikt

[hidden email], from http://indico.web.cern.ch/indico/user_group.html

>>> We already have a running Europython test site at CERN ( http://
>>> indico.cern.ch/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=44 ). In principle we have
>>> nothing more to do than to use it. (I can create all needed accounts)
>>
>> Looks fine to me.  Something I didn't see in the parts of indico I
>> looked at was anything to do with submitting talks, though.
> It's in there but not  accessible for the public.

Well, the way previous EuroPython's have gone is to put out a call for
papers and invite submissions from the public.  A goodly fraction of
talks actually result from the track chairs going and finding them, of
course, but open submission is important, I think.

>>> So I propose the following:
>>> programme, timetables, registration, call for abstracts and all the
>>> work the track chairs have to do should be done with the Indico
>>> solution. All other information like travel information, sponsors,
>>> public relation stuff can be put on a more or less simple CMS without
>>> fancy features. We have already some information prepared and need to
>>> fill it in somewhere. Personally I prefer Plone but I am happy with
>>> every other out-of-the-box solution.
>>
>> You seem to have a start on this information in the indico instance
>> already -- is there a need for another CMS?
> Yes and no - for the sprints I would like to have a wiki which is not
> possible in Indico as far as I know.

OK.  Wikis are easy -- python.org has one, for starters...

Cheers,
mwh

--
  Hiro dicks about with his computer, naturally.  Being stranded
  on a life raft in the Pacific is a perfect venue for a hacker.