farewell to pyblosxom

will kahn-greene
In the last week, we've had an interesting conversation about
alternatives to Pyblosxom on pyblosxom-devel. It's worth talking more
about those. You can see the archives at
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=pyblosxom-devel .

However, no one mentioned wanting to pick up maintenance of Pyblosxom
and no one expressed interest in continuing the project. Given that, I
think I'm going to do some work to move the site to github pages, nix
the roundup tracker, put the project in indefinite sleep mode, update
the docs in regards to all these things, and write a "farewell" blog post.

It'd be really super if people who migrated their blogs over to
Pyblosxom alternatives sent an email to the
pyblosxom-users/pyblosxom-devel lists about their experiences switching.
That'll help others migrate, too.

Thank you all for the many years of Pyblosxom-hood! I wish all well!

/will

Re: farewell to pyblosxom

Dieter Plaetinck
:'(

Re: farewell to pyblosxom

Joseph Reagle-2
On 06/15/2012 11:11 AM, will kahn-greene wrote:
> It'd be really super if people who migrated their blogs over to
> Pyblosxom alternatives sent an email to the
> pyblosxom-users/pyblosxom-devel lists about their experiences switching.
> That'll help others migrate, too.

I know you're pointing out devel, but since it's not being developed
anymore, most devels are users, and users are impacted, I would think
the conversation would happen here.

I'm pretty happy with my pyblosxom install now and don't imagine making
a switch before braver souls precede me. However, I looked into it a bit
into the static generators and found pelican and myn to be closes to my
liking. In fact, pelican supports RSS imports, which could make the
process easier.

Comments will be the big deal. I imagine that as part of my conversion
script (from my HTML into whichever system I use) I will pull in the
existing pyblosxom comments as part of the content and present them as
"archival comments." It looks like the static people are also pretty
much stuck with Disqus which has its ups and downs.

Re: farewell to pyblosxom

Janis Kracht
Hi Will,

I'm truly sorry to see you leave the project, and I'm even more sad that
no one has picked up on the maintenance of the project.
I do understand that other projects may pull you away from this one. It
happens to us all the time..

I have thought about switching to other blogging server software
projects and have checked out the ones mentioned thus far..

Nah, not for me <grin>

I'll stick with PyBloxsom. It does EXACTLY what I want, so thank you for
all the time you took to make this work so well.

I guess if someone creates some problem somewhere with the code, I'll
have to deal with it... and maybe fix it :)

Take care,
Janis