hardware question

Stephen McInerney
Vikram,

The Berkeley scientific computing people use scientific Python on Macs a lot without complaint, suggest you ask them:
https://cirl.berkeley.edu/view/Py4Science

Python(x,y) distribution probably has most of the scientific packages you need:
http://code.google.com/p/pythonxy/wiki/StandardPlugins
however it currently has no Mac distribution (Windows + Linux) but the maintainer would love to find such a volunteer:
http://code.google.com/p/pythonxy/issues/detail?id=90

Regards,
Stephen