history of prototype based languages

Shannon -jj Behrens
Can anyone point me in the right direction to learn about the history
of prototype based languages?  Which was the first one?  Are there any
"must read" theoretical papers on the subject?

I don't want to write a thesis on the subject, but I'd love to be able
to speak with some expertise, and I don't have any yet ;)

Thanks,
-jj

Re: history of prototype based languages

Michael Hauser-2
See the page on Wikipedia. The original papers on Self would probably
be a good place to start reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prototype-based_languages