how extract/read text from image files

Arun ragini
Hi,

I want to know how to extract/read text from image files. Any
references/examples will help me to achieve the goal.

Thanks
Arun

--
-----
Fight back spam! Download the Blue Frog.

Re: how extract/read text from image files

Malcolm Greene
Arun,

Have you checked out PIL (Python Imaging Library)?
http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/

Malcolm

Re: how extract/read text from image files

Edward Cannon
extracting text from images falls into the optical character
recognition problem, which is not simple. AFIK PIL doesn't support
that feature, try looking for specialized OCR libraries.

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 6:40 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Resending from email registered with mailing list.
>
> Arun,
>
> Have you checked out PIL (Python Imaging Library)?
> http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/
>
> Malcolm

Re: how extract/read text from image files

Anders Sandvig
On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 8:09 AM, Arun ragini <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to know how to extract/read text from image files. Any
> references/examples will help me to achieve the goal.

You could have a look at PyTesser:

http://code.google.com/p/pytesser/

It depends on PIL to decode images and Google's Tesseract OCR engine
(run as an externl process), but apparently works quite well.

Anders

Re: how extract/read text from image files

pontissimo
Wow, thanks for posting that, works very very well.