install pygtk from source with all its dependencies

install pygtk from source with all its dependencies

Ogi Vranesic
Hi dear users of pygtk

I installed in linux (suse) python 2.7.5 from source in directory
/usr/local/python.
After installing of pygobject (as dependency for pygtk) and starting of
python interpreter the following error message has been displayed:

 >>> import gobject
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
   File "gobject/__init__.py", line 26, in <module>
     from glib import spawn_async, idle_add, timeout_add,
timeout_add_seconds, \
   File "glib/__init__.py", line 22, in <module>
     from glib._glib import *
ImportError: glib/_glib.so: undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS4_DecodeUTF8

Please can somebody give me a hint how to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance
Ogi

Re: install pygtk from source with all its dependencies

Simon Feltman
Hi,

A web search for "PyUnicodeUCS4_DecodeUTF8" revealed the following:

So, it looks like you need to build the extension with UCS-2 or build Python with UCS-4. The configure step for Python looks like it takes "--enable-unicode=ucs4" (not sure about PyGObject though).

-Simon

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 5:07 AM, Ogi Vranesic <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi dear users of pygtk

I installed in linux (suse) python 2.7.5 from source in directory /usr/local/python.
After installing of pygobject (as dependency for pygtk) and starting of python interpreter the following error message has been displayed:

>>> import gobject
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "gobject/__init__.py", line 26, in <module>
    from glib import spawn_async, idle_add, timeout_add, timeout_add_seconds, \
  File "glib/__init__.py", line 22, in <module>
    from glib._glib import *
ImportError: glib/_glib.so: undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS4_DecodeUTF8

Please can somebody give me a hint how to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance
Ogi

Re: install pygtk from source with all its dependencies

Ogi Vranesic
Thank you Simon for your reply.

I had a lot of other problems to install pygobject & pygtk on suse (64 bit).
Than I tried with installing of ActivePython-2.7.2.5-linux-x86_64 in the directory /opt.
After it has been done succesfully I set all needed enviroment variables:
(I'm not sure that this is done correctly)

export PYTHON=/opt/ActivePython-2.7/bin/python
export PYTHONPATH=/opt/ActivePython-2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/
# in order to find python headers:
CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/python2.7

and than in directory pygtk-2.24.0 with ./configure, make and make install all seems to occur correctly,
but when I try to import pygtk or gtk:

ImportError: No module named pygtk [gtk]

Can somebody tell me what is wrong here or try to explain me how to install python & pygtk from  scratch on linux with 64 bit?

Thanks very much in advance.
Ogi