installing nbviewer on amazon ec2

Abhishek Pratap-3
Hey Guys

Just wondering if it is possible to install nbviewer locally outside the heroku infrastructure. We would like to have it running on a EC2 instance. Any pointers to the same would be of great help.

Thanks!
-Abhi

Re: installing nbviewer on amazon ec2

Matthias Bussonnier
Hey,

Le 15 oct. 2013 à 21:09, Abhishek Pratap a écrit :

> Hey Guys
>
> Just wondering if it is possible to install nbviewer locally outside the heroku infrastructure. We would like to have it running on a EC2 instance. Any pointers to the same would be of great help.

As long has you have memcached installed and the required library, it shouldn't be harder than running on a shell

$ python gist.py

(that how I test my changes by running on localhost)

The rest like port number can be set with environment variable.
We are working on making this easier, any feedback welcomed.

Re: installing nbviewer on amazon ec2

Abhishek Pratap-3
Thanks for letting me know. It was a bit tricky to get the memcache to work but it finally does. I can run the copy of nbviewer locally however I am not sure the steps to deploy it locally at production level.

Here is what I tried so far.

1.$python app.py : returns to shell with the following message, webserver is not started
using clasical memcached

2. python githubapp.py : ends with the following error. Flask-Cache is installed
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "githubapp.py", line 5, in <module>
    from flaskext.cache import Cache
ImportError: No module named cache

3. python gist.py  :starts the server but the examples on the main page dont seem to work. I get either a 400/500 error.
using clasical memcached
debug is not activated
 * Running on http://0.0.0.0:5000/

Thanks!
-Abhi

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 12:44 PM, Matthias BUSSONNIER <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey,

Le 15 oct. 2013 à 21:09, Abhishek Pratap a écrit :

> Hey Guys
>
> Just wondering if it is possible to install nbviewer locally outside the heroku infrastructure. We would like to have it running on a EC2 instance. Any pointers to the same would be of great help.

As long has you have memcached installed and the required library, it shouldn't be harder than running on a shell

$ python gist.py

(that how I test my changes by running on localhost)

The rest like port number can be set with environment variable.
We are working on making this easier, any feedback welcomed.

Re: installing nbviewer on amazon ec2

Kyle Kelley
Abhi,

If you're comfortable using salt, there are salt states for deploying nbviewer (https://github.com/rgbkrk/salt-nbviewer). Currently this installs straight from the master branch of nbviewer. In the near future, this will have branch/environment setup to deploy to qa, staging and production servers.

If you're not comfortable with salt, it serves as a good reference for which packages to install, how to set up the virtualenv, working configurations for both supervisor and memcache. top.sls shows the order (https://github.com/rgbkrk/salt-nbviewer/blob/master/top.sls), follow that up with the init.sls files in each of the directories. If you'd like more detail than this, I could probably be convinced to write something up.

-- Kyle