interrupting Jython code from Java

Jason Sachs
I've got a Java application calling FreeMarker which can call methods on Jython objects, and would like to handle the case where there's a bug in my Jython code and somehow I have an infinite loop.

---
A java thread running a jython interpreter is no more and no less than a java
thread.
Interrupting such a thread is just as difficult as interrupting a java
thread, because the jython interpreter does not check for thread interrupted
status. You might extend the interpreter to do this check, but then it would
run slower. Since the interpreter can call any java code that does not
necessarily check the interrupted status, such a check would not be a strong
guarantee anyway.
---

Is this still the case for Jython 2.5.3 and 2.7.0?