Quantcast

ipython notebook installation from terminal

ipython notebook installation from terminal

cutieontherun
I was curious if anybody could provide detailed information on installing ipython notebook from an ubuntu terminal. I am unable to successfully find zmq, Tornado, and pyzmq and install it working. I know I can install it from synaptic package manager but I was just curious.

Re: ipython notebook installation from terminal

Thomas Kluyver-2
On 3 March 2012 03:15, cutieontherun <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was curious if anybody could provide detailed information on installing
ipython notebook from an ubuntu terminal. I am unable to successfully find
zmq, Tornado, and pyzmq and install it working. I know I can install it from
synaptic package manager but I was just curious.

If you're already on 12.04, you can simply 'apt-get install ipython-notebook'.

pyzmq is packaged as python-zmq (11.10 has a new enough version), and tornado is python-tornado (but only 12.04 has a new enough version). Julian Taylor has a PPA with the necessary things for 11.04 and 11.10: https://launchpad.net/~jtaylor/+archive/ipython/+packages

You can also install bits from PyPI using pip, if you prefer.

Thomas