Quantcast

ipython qtconsole hangs mayavi window on Mac

ipython qtconsole hangs mayavi window on Mac

Stefan
Hello,

I am again experiencing a problem with ipython-qtconsole on Mac OS X. (My earlier problem with the calltips went away after downgrading Qt from 4.8.0 to 4.7.4: See https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/1407)

This time, I am trying to do:

from mayavi.api import Engine
e = Engine()
e.start()
s = e.new_scene()

When launched from ipython (no qtconsole), a mayavi window comes up, and one can see the window title changing fast from "TVTK" to "Mayavi Scene 1", after which one can interact with the figure to make a parametric surface plot, for example. However, ipython's responsiveness to keyboard input slows *very significantly* after issuing the above 4 commands. Too much for me to work on...

On a fresh ipython qtconsole, the code above hangs after generating the "TVTK" window. The title does not change to "Mayavi Scene 1" - instead one sees the Mac spinning color wheel and cannot interact in any way with the figure. The qtconsole remains responsive, but the TVTK window doesn't respond to any commands. The only way to kill the window is to exit the qtconsole.

I tried googling "ipython qtconsole mayavi hangs on mac" but didn't get any useful results.

My setup was obtained as:   (after uninstalling everything from a previous installation)

Mac OS 10.7.2
brew install qt -> 4.7.4 (after downgrading the formula)
brew install pyqt -> 4.9.1
brew install vtk --qt --python --tcl -> 5.8.0
pip install ipython -> 0.12
pip install mayavi -> 4.1.0 (this installs TVTK as well)

I had custom flags --gl2ps and --mpi for VTK, which enable the gl2ps and mpi related VTK flags. I also kept the dependencies of mayavi, traits etc, from my previous installation, all at 4.1.0. This should be unrelated to my problem.

Anyone who can reproduce this problem on a Mac? Any ideas how to fix it?

I am getting a bit desperate since I still don't have an ipython environment to do work with. I don't want to switch back to Matlab, so please help!

Many thanks,
Stefan

Re: ipython qtconsole hangs mayavi window on Mac

Fernando Perez
Hi Stefan,

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 2:37 AM, Stefan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When launched from ipython (no qtconsole), a mayavi window comes up, and one
> can see the window title changing fast from "TVTK" to "Mayavi Scene 1",
> after which one can interact with the figure to make a parametric surface
> plot, for example. However, ipython's responsiveness to keyboard input slows
> *very significantly* after issuing the above 4 commands. Too much for me to
> work on...
>
> On a fresh ipython qtconsole, the code above hangs after generating the
> "TVTK" window. The title does not change to "Mayavi Scene 1" - instead one
> sees the Mac spinning color wheel and cannot interact in any way with the
> figure. The qtconsole remains responsive, but the TVTK window doesn't
> respond to any commands. The only way to kill the window is to exit the
> qtconsole.
>
> I tried googling "ipython qtconsole mayavi hangs on mac" but didn't get any
> useful results.

We have two nasty open issues that appear somewhat related, but not
quite identical:

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/481
https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/1184

Does any of the discussion in there help in any way?  Sorry not to
have a better answer right now, I use mayavi regularly and haven't
seen these problems, but I'm on linux and not OSX...