Quantcast

ipython qtconsole segmentation fault when displaying calltips / tooltips?

ipython qtconsole segmentation fault when displaying calltips / tooltips?

Stefan
Hello,

I am experiencing a problem with ipython qtconsole on Mac OS X:

Sometimes hitting "(" results in a segmentation fault rather that a tooltip being displayed.
For example, in a fresh "ipython qtconsole":

import scipy.sparse.linalg
scipy.sparse.linalg.spsolve(  -> segmentation fault after hitting "("

However:

from scipy.sparse.linalg import spsolve
spsolve( -> tooltip is correctly displayed

But:

from mayavi.sources.api import ArraySource
ArraySource( -> SegFault after hitting "("

Googling didn't provide any useful information.

So I suspected PyQt and tried upgrading PyQt from version 4.9.0 to 4.9.1, as well as replacing PyQt4 with pyside.
This didn't resolve the issue. (ipython qtconsole started in all configurations)

My configuration is:    (installed by homebrew and pip)

- MacOSX 10.7.2 (Lion)
- Python 2.7.2
- ipython 0.12
- Qt 4.8.0
- PyQt 4.9.1

I also tried ipython 0.11 and ipython 0.13.dev, but couldn't get the qtconsole to work at all with either.

Anyone experiencing the same issue? Any ideas what could cause it?

Also, is there a way to switch off the tooltips on typing "(", so I can work for now?
I am using the shell ipython for now, but it becomes very unresponsive after importing anything from mayavi.
The qtconsole remains nice and snappy, but it's not much use if it crashes everytime I hit "(" ...

Many thanks for your ideas,

Stefan

Re: ipython qtconsole segmentation fault when displaying calltips / tooltips?

Fernando Perez
Hi Stefan,

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Stefan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also, is there a way to switch off the tooltips on typing "(", so I can work
> for now?

Sounds precisely like this situation:

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/1407

As indicated there, in the meantime you can disable tooltips by
starting your qtconsole with:

--IPythonWidget.enable_calltips=False

and you can set that value permanently in your qtconsole config file with:

c = get_config()
c.IPythonWidget.enable_calltips=False

As best we can tell it's not a bug precisely in ipython itself, but
rather *triggered* by ipython.  Obviously, it would be great to
understand better what exactly activates it.

Re: ipython qtconsole segmentation fault when displaying calltips / tooltips?

Stefan
Hi Fernando,

Thanks for your reply. Disabling the calltips works for now and will allow me to get some work done...

My problem seems indeed the same as pshchelo's on issue #1407, which I didn't stumble upon when googling. (Although I am also new to Mac, my installation is relatively clean since I used homebrew and pip for everything - I only started uninstalling and reinstalling when trying to get qtconsole to work...)

So I could reproduce his demonstration and hopefully narrow it down a bit further. So in fresh ipython qtconsole's, doing:

from numpy  import cos
cos( -> works every time

from numpy import sin
sin( -> segfaults every time

Maybe there is some particularity in the docstrings of the failing functions that triggers the bug?

Thanks,
Stefan