Quantcast

[issue13210] Support Visual Studio 2010

123

[issue13210] Support Visual Studio 2010

STINNER Victor

New submission from Sébastien Sablé <[hidden email]>:

Python for Windows is currently compiled with Visual Studio 2008.
It is not possible to use Visual Studio 2010.

It would be great to be able to compile Python with Visual Studio 2010:

* some people may only have access to this compiler which is more recent

* when embedding Python in an application compiled with Visual Studio 2010, you mix 2 C Runtime Libraries (msvcr90.dll and msvcr100.dll) which will generally result in a crash

This is the parent issue. I have various patches to achieve that and I will try to open one issue by patch. I may also run a builtbot using that compiler.

----------
assignee: tarek
components: Build, Distutils, Distutils2, Installation, Windows
messages: 145803
nosy: alexis, eric.araujo, mhammond, sable, tarek
priority: normal
severity: normal
status: open
title: Support Visual Studio 2010
type: feature request
versions: Python 2.7, Python 3.2

[issue13210] Support Visual Studio 2010

STINNER Victor

[issue13210] Support Visual Studio 2010

STINNER Victor

[issue13210] Support Visual Studio 2010

STINNER Victor

Brian Curtin <[hidden email]> added the comment:

We can make Python compile with Visual Studio 2010, but it will not be the platform Python is released on, it would be optional while 2008 stays the release target, at least through Python 3.3. In Python 3.4, we may re-evaluate this, and it's likely we would jump over 2010 and move to Visual Studio 2012 at that point (per discussions on python-dev).

As for your first point, Visual Studio 2008 is still available on the Microsoft site, it's just not the first thing you usually find. If you look here - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/express/future/bb421473 - you can find it.

Anyway, I've done this port internally at my company, but I'm not able to release that patch. I am, however, willing to do it personally so it could be included here. If anyone else is interested in working on it, it should follow the same format as other VS version support, going in the PC/VS{version} folder.

Also, reclassified this to the proper version, 3.3, since it's a feature request.

----------
assignee: tarek ->
components:  -Distutils, Distutils2, Installation
versions: +Python 3.3 -Python 2.7, Python 3.2

[issue13210] Support Visual Studio 2010

STINNER Victor

Sébastien Sablé <[hidden email]> added the comment:

Here is a quick and dirty draft of the modifications I had to do in order to get Python 2.7.2 to compile with VS2010 on the wiki:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/VS2010

I will improve/complete it as I progress.
I will also do a 64 bits version.

[issue13210] Support Visual Studio 2010

STINNER Victor

Éric Araujo <[hidden email]> added the comment:

The wiki page contains change to distutils, which I believe would not be allowed by the feature freeze.  New features (such as support for a new compiler) need to target packaging.

[issue13210] Support Visual Studio 2010

STINNER Victor

Martin v. Löwis <[hidden email]> added the comment:

I think this issue urgently needs a scope defined. What *exactly* is it that you want to achieve? If it's merely being able to compile Python with VS 2010, many of the proposed changes are unnecessary.

If you propose that the patch should be used to replace VS 2008 with VS 2010, I suggest that instead of developing it as a patch, you create a hg clone that you maintain on your own.

If you propose that Python 3.3 be built and released with VS 2010, then we need to re-evaluate this question again. Wrt. VS 2012, my hope is that this will be available for 3.3 already. If that's not going to happen, I'd be open to switch to 2010 for 3.3 only (and to 2012 for 3.4).

[issue13210] Support Visual Studio 2010

STINNER Victor

Sébastien Sablé <[hidden email]> added the comment:

Martin, what I want to achieve is to ensure that someone can download Python sources and compile them without any modification using a standard install of Windows + Visual Studio 2010 SP1.

I don't really care what is the default compiler used to generate the official binaries, this is a decision that should be taken according to what most people use. But a least the compilation should work easily with the recent and popular VS2010 compiler.

As I said the patch is for the moment a quick and dirty draft: it breaks compilation with VS2008 and assume VS2010. Of course this is not my goal: the final patch should work with existing compilers as well as VS2010.

Which part of the changes do you consider unnecessary?

Concerning the target version: I need to use Python 2.7 internally because our application has not been migrated to Python 3.
I think other people may be in the same case.

I understand there is a feature freeze on this branch (event though the changes in this case are well localized and not intrusive), so I will target primarily Python trunk for the inclusion of patches, but I will also maintain internally my own set of patches for Python 2.7 (and in the wiki for those who are interested).

[issue13210] Support Visual Studio 2010

STINNER Victor

Martin v. Löwis <[hidden email]> added the comment:

> Which part of the changes do you consider unnecessary?

All the parts dealing with packaging, in particular Tools/msi.

> I understand there is a feature freeze on this branch (event though
> the changes in this case are well localized and not intrusive), so I
> will target primarily Python trunk for the inclusion of patches, but
> I will also maintain internally my own set of patches for Python 2.7
> (and in the wiki for those who are interested).

Instead of doing so internally, I really suggest to maintain a public
hg clone, either on hg.python.org (by your name), or on, say, bitbucket.

[issue13210] Support Visual Studio 2010

STINNER Victor

Sébastien Sablé <[hidden email]> added the comment:

Packaging makes it easier to distribute Python among my colleagues and customers, so I think it is a nice addition.

OK for the hg clone, I will set up that (I actually already use mercurial internally to handle those modifications).

I mentioned this on another issue, but I created a clone at http://hg.python.org/sandbox/vs2010port/. I've already gone through the port in the past but wasn't able to release the code at the time. As I work through it, I'll occasionally announce large milestones here.

[issue13210] Support Visual Studio 2010

STINNER Victor

Tim Golden <[hidden email]> added the comment:

Thanks. I was going to ask about this to see if anyone had already done
the legwork.

[issue13210] Support Visual Studio 2010

STINNER Victor

Sébastien Sablé <[hidden email]> added the comment:

I don't have commit access on hg.python.org, so I also created a clone on bitbucket at:
https://bitbucket.org/sablefr/py27vs2010/overview

I work with a patch queue for the moment since everything is not completely settled yet.

The patch are against python 2.7 for the moment, I will do the same for python trunk soon.
I can run all the tests with builbot and I am working on reducing the errors.

Currently I am at:
337 tests OK.
5 tests failed:
    test_anydbm test_pep277 test_shelve test_subprocess test_trace
1 test altered the execution environment:
    test_distutils
45 tests skipped:
    test_aepack test_al test_applesingle test_bsddb185 test_cd test_cl
    test_commands test_crypt test_curses test_dbm test_dl test_epoll
    test_fcntl test_fork1 test_gdb test_gdbm test_gl test_grp
    test_imgfile test_ioctl test_kqueue test_linuxaudiodev test_macos
    test_macostools test_mhlib test_nis test_openpty test_ossaudiodev
    test_pipes test_poll test_posix test_pty test_pwd test_readline
    test_resource test_scriptpackages test_sunaudiodev test_tcl
    test_threadsignals test_tk test_ttk_guionly test_ttk_textonly
    test_wait3 test_wait4 test_zipfile64
6 skips unexpected on win32:
    test_gdb test_readline test_tcl test_tk test_ttk_guionly
    test_ttk_textonly

[issue13210] Support Visual Studio 2010

STINNER Victor

Brian Curtin <[hidden email]> added the comment:

Just to be sure in case you didn't know, but patches against 2.7 for this issue won't be accepted.

[issue13210] Support Visual Studio 2010

STINNER Victor

Sébastien Sablé <[hidden email]> added the comment:

Yes I know, but this is my primary target as this is the version that I use in my product for the moment.

I will test python trunk soon now that Python 2.7 with VS2010 is in a rather good shape.

[issue13210] Support Visual Studio 2010

STINNER Victor

Éric Araujo <[hidden email]> added the comment:

Just to avoid misunderstandings: The Subversion concept of trunk (or rather py3k trunk) maps to the Mercurial branch named default, which is what you get when you clone hg.python.org/cpython.  This is 3.3.

[issue13210] Support Visual Studio 2010

STINNER Victor

Brian Curtin <[hidden email]> added the comment:

Before we both go down the same paths and duplicate effort, http://hg.python.org/sandbox/vs2010port/ has already completed the transition in terms of running the conversion, saving off the VS9 files, making some minimal code changes (errno module specifically), and has begun to fix tests. This is already done for 'default' aka 3.3.

8 tests failed:
    test_distutils test_email test_io test_os test_packaging
    test_pep3151 test_socket test_subprocess

The distutils and packaging test failures seem to be about differences in command line flags for some of the VS2010 binaries (looks like a link.exe issue in one). Most of the others are about remaining errno differences, and the subprocess issue is with too many files being open.

[issue13210] Support Visual Studio 2010

STINNER Victor

Sébastien Sablé <[hidden email]> added the comment:

OK Brian, I checked your clone and I will keep an eye on it.

I have done almost the same thing for the moment. My patch queue includes some additional corrections for a few more bugs that prevented me from completely running the test suite (crash dumps).

I will start working on Python 'default' probably tomorrow.

123