javax.script

Leo User
Howdy,

Ive got a Java 6 "Mustang" installed on my machine.  I was perusing the class directory and stumbled upon the javax.script package.  I know that Ive read that javascript is being included as a scripting language but javax.script appears to be general not just javascript specific.  So in other words you can use it as a front end to Jython.  Any of you fine developer folk know anything about this package?  Any plans to get Jython included in Java 7? ;)

leouser

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: javax.script

oti-3
Hi,

as far as I know, javax.script is the hook for implementations of
JSR223 (http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=223).

It has been a long outstanding wish of me to implement the jython
part, but I gotta concentrate on Jython itself first ...

Best wishes,
Oti.

On 12/19/05, Leo User <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> Ive got a Java 6 "Mustang" installed on my machine.  I was perusing the
> class directory and stumbled upon the javax.script package.  I know that Ive
> read that javascript is being included as a scripting language but
> javax.script appears to be general not just javascript specific.  So in
> other words you can use it as a front end to Jython.  Any of you fine
> developer folk know anything about this package?  Any plans to get Jython
> included in Java 7? ;)
>
> leouser

Re: javax.script

Leo User
yes, a final jython probably should come before this!  To get jython hook stuff included in the JDK might be best attackable via the JDK Collaboration project.

I do find myself wondering how Jython is going to be developed once Java starts making it easier to integrate dynamic languages with it.  Do you fork Jython and start developing it against the new stuff or do you push the projects Java demands up to Java 6,7,8... ?

leouser

On 12/19/05, Leo User wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> Ive got a Java 6 "Mustang" installed on my machine. I was perusing the
> class directory and stumbled upon the javax.script package. I know that Ive
> read that javascript is being included as a scripting language but
> javax.script appears to be general not just javascript specific. So in
> other words you can use it as a front end to Jython. Any of you fine
> developer folk know anything about this package? Any plans to get Jython
> included in Java 7? ;)
>
> leouser

Re: javax.script

fwierzbicki@gmail.com
> I do find myself wondering how Jython is going to be developed once Java
> starts making it easier to integrate dynamic languages with it.  Do you fork
> Jython and start developing it against the new stuff or do you push the
> projects Java demands up to Java 6,7,8... ?
I suspect that as Jython development regains steam and starts getting
real releases out again, that we will probably start having some
"Jython3000" conversations the way that the Python folks have those
conversations, and start talking about a shiny future non-backwards
compatible Jython.  Like the Python version, the 3000 (jokingly?)
suggests how long it might take to get there.

One "Jython3000" idea would be to derive the core of Jython from the
PyPy project, which might allow you to decide at Jython build time
what JVM version you are targeting...

Anyhow I don't want to go to far down this line of thought just
because I have to keep my eye on the "get a release out" ball...

-Frank