learning harness of choice?

kirby urner-4
Per some thread in the Philippines I'm following, a guy teaching new
users using 3.1 in pure IDLE is frustrating finding that frustrating,
too much crashing.

I've heard that before, but haven't encountered much yet, testing on
Win7 and Ubuntu 9.10 these days.

Wing101 and most other IDEs (e.g. iPython) with live shell are not
sporting 3.x yet.

I've got Eclipse + pydev but isn't that overblown for just getting
one's feet wet?

If I do that class at PSU in July, I'll need to give the lab assistant
my preferred configuration.

That's always been 2.x + IDLE + Vpython + POV-Ray, but I'm playing
with doing straight 3.x and keeping it core Python, fewer bells and
whistles?

However, pure terminal seems too austere, and just a text editor with
no shell is wasting the big advantage of REPL.

What, you're running 3.1 inside emacs?  How is that working out for
ya?  Enrollment up or down?

Reassuring were those answers suggesting changing security settings,
as half the time what's messing up IDLE is the firewall caring too
much about the loop back.

Anyway, I'd be interested to know what 3.x classrooms go with,
especially if not with IDLE, ditto 2.x classrooms.  Some have said
Sage.

Kirby

** http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2010/02/small-steps.html

Re: learning harness of choice?

André Roberge

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 2:58 AM, kirby urner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Per some thread in the Philippines I'm following, a guy teaching new
users using 3.1 in pure IDLE is frustrating finding that frustrating,
too much crashing.

SNIP
However, pure terminal seems too austere, and just a text editor with
no shell is wasting the big advantage of REPL.

Well, you can always have both using Firefox ... and Crunchy. ;-)  It does work with Python 3.1.

André

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 3:08 AM, Andre Roberge <[hidden email]> wrote:

<< snip >>

> Well, you can always have both using Firefox ... and Crunchy. ;-)  It does
> work with Python 3.1.

Thanks André.

I was impressed by your demo last year at Pycon and have played with
Crunchy since.

I haven't had any opportunity to try it in a classroom.

I could jump in on that Philippines list and recommend teachers check it out.

This tutorial looks friendly:  http://tinyurl.com/yjj8tsh

I value feedback from those who get more classroom experience than I do.

Kirby

(from Linus Pauling Campus)