locale-specific string sorting for server applications?

locale-specific string sorting for server applications?

Jim Fulton

We're looking at locale-specific sorting of strings in Zope.
The locale module doesn't seem to help because:

- It's not thread safe (yeah, we can hack around that), and

- It seems to depend on unpredictable host data.

In 2002, Martin von Löwis was interested in creating a Python
wrapper around ICU for this purpose, but I don't see anything
recent.  Does anyone know if anything happened with this?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Jim

--
Jim Fulton           mailto:[hidden email]       Python Powered!
CTO                  (540) 361-1714            http://www.python.org