logo / website re-design

12

logo / website re-design

fwierzbicki@gmail.com
The jython users list has received a proposal for a new logo.

This is a small part of a bigger discussion I'd like to have, which is: We really need a refresh of the entire jython website.  Most of it is pretty outdated, and it adds to the impression that Jython is a project adrift.  As far as the logo in question, I like it -- though I wonder if there are other candidates out there -- if there are we should probably have some kind of a vote.  If this is the only candidate that is going to come forward, I think it would make a very nice icon for the project.

What do others think?

-Frank

Re: logo / website re-design

Leo User
I like it.  What you really need is an animated
version of the picture, one showing the jython
snake/steam gradually coming out of the cup... or
writhing in air.  (maybe 2 different animations).
That'd make for a nifty thing to look at on the web
site.  Or it might be really annoying. :D

leouser

--- Frank Wierzbicki <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The jython users list has received a proposal for a
> new logo.
>

> http://www.jesseross.com/clients/jython/index.html.
>
> This is a small part of a bigger discussion I'd like
> to have, which is: We
> really need a refresh of the entire jython website.
> Most of it is pretty
> outdated, and it adds to the impression that Jython
> is a project adrift. As
> far as the logo in question, I like it -- though I
> wonder if there are other
> candidates out there -- if there are we should
> probably have some kind of a
> vote. If this is the only candidate that is going to
> come forward, I think
> it would make a very nice icon for the project.
>
> What do others think?
>
> -Frank

RE: logo / website re-design

cupdike
I personally like it... I'd also like to see an icon
version of it (without the text, and possibly made more
square somehow).  The icon could be used for launching
jython.

The jython users list has received a proposal for a new logo.

> http://www.jesseross.com/clients/jython/index.html .

This is a small part of a bigger discussion I'd like to have, which is:
We really need a refresh of the entire jython website.  Most of it is
pretty outdated, and it adds to the impression that Jython is a project
adrift.  As far as the logo in question, I like it -- though I wonder if
there are other candidates out there -- if there are we should probably
have some kind of a vote.  If this is the only candidate that is going
to come forward, I think it would make a very nice icon for the project.

What do others think?

-Frank

Re: logo / website re-design

Doug Landauer
On Oct 3, 2005, at 10:50 AM, Frank Wierzbicki wrote:
> The jython users list has received a proposal for a new logo.
>
> > http://www.jesseross.com/clients/jython/index.html .
>
> As far as the logo in question...  What do others think?

A suggestion:  flip the snake part around and it'll look a lot
like a "J".  Then you could remove the "J" and move the "ython"
up so that it's just to the right of the "J-snake".  Or just
remove the "ython" altogether in some contexts, as Clark suggested.

    :-D oug L.

Re: logo / website re-design

Sean McGrath
Frank Wierzbicki wrote:

> The jython users list has received a proposal for a new logo.
>
>> http://www.jesseross.com/clients/jython/index.html
> <http://www.jesseross.com/clients/jython/index.html>.
>
> This is a small part of a bigger discussion I'd like to have, which
> is: We really need a refresh of the entire jython website.  Most of it
> is pretty outdated, and it adds to the impression that Jython is a
> project adrift.  As far as the logo in question, I like it -- though I
> wonder if there are other candidates out there -- if there are we
> should probably have some kind of a vote.  If this is the only
> candidate that is going to come forward, I think it would make a very
> nice icon for the project.
>
> What do others think?

+1. Website could really do with a complete over-haul. The additions I
was making a while back where all within the current setup and consisted
essentially of date-oriented news items. I stopped doing that once the
WIKI got off the ground because it made a lot more sense for the
communtity to have shared control rather than relying on any one
web-master-type to do updates.

How to proceed? I'm happy to help out.

Sean

Re: Re: logo / website re-design

Frank Cohen
Hi Sean: +1 on the logo. It looks great - and I love the playfulness
of the design.

About the site, take a look at http://www.xquerynow.com. This is a
site I built for Raining Data based on Zope and Plone. I would be
happy to host the Jython community from this site. This would give us
a real content management system with newsletters, wiki, email lists,
discussion boards, etc.

-Frank

On Oct 4, 2005, at 4:11 AM, Sean McGrath wrote:

> Frank Wierzbicki wrote:
>

>> The jython users list has received a proposal for a new logo.
>>

>>> http://www.jesseross.com/clients/jython/index.html
>>>

>> <http://www.jesseross.com/clients/jython/index.html>.
>>
>> This is a small part of a bigger discussion I'd like to have,
>> which is: We really need a refresh of the entire jython website.
>> Most of it is pretty outdated, and it adds to the impression that
>> Jython is a project adrift.  As far as the logo in question, I
>> like it -- though I wonder if there are other candidates out there
>> -- if there are we should probably have some kind of a vote.  If
>> this is the only candidate that is going to come forward, I think
>> it would make a very nice icon for the project.
>>
>> What do others think?
>>

> +1. Website could really do with a complete over-haul. The
> additions I was making a while back where all within the current
> setup and consisted essentially of date-oriented news items. I
> stopped doing that once the WIKI got off the ground because it made
> a lot more sense for the communtity to have shared control rather
> than relying on any one web-master-type to do updates.
>
> How to proceed? I'm happy to help out.
>
> Sean

Re: Re: logo / website re-design

fwierzbicki@gmail.com
Hi Frank,

>> I would be happy to host the Jython community from this site.
That is a very nice offer, but Bill de hÓra is working to get all of our web/wiki infrastructure moved to python.org which (IMHO) is really the right way to go.

-Frank

Re: Re: logo / website re-design

fwierzbicki@gmail.com
>> How to proceed? I'm happy to help out.
>> Sean
I think I'm going to take a crack at a simple front page with the new logo and some color changes and either post the source here or link it into the current site (maybe call it "mock up").  I don't think I have privileges to do the latter though...

-Frank

Re: Re: logo / website re-design

Sean McGrath
Frank Cohen wrote:

> Hi Sean: +1 on the logo. It looks great - and I love the playfulness
> of the design.
>
> About the site, take a look at http://www.xquerynow.com. This is a
> site I built for Raining Data based on Zope and Plone. I would be
> happy to host the Jython community from this site. This would give us
> a real content management system with newsletters, wiki, email lists,
> discussion boards, etc.
>
> -Frank

Sounds great!

Sean

Re: Re: logo / website re-design

Sean McGrath
Frank Wierzbicki wrote:

> Hi Frank,
>
> >> I would be happy to host the Jython community from this site.
> That is a very nice offer, but Bill de hÓra is working to get all of
> our web/wiki infrastructure moved to python.org <http://python.org>
> which (IMHO) is really the right way to go.

Apologies I've been out of the loop a bit. Bill did mention to me that
he was looking into this. Great!

Sean

Re: Re: logo / website re-design

Sean McGrath
Frank Wierzbicki wrote:

> >> How to proceed? I'm happy to help out.
> >> Sean
> I think I'm going to take a crack at a simple front page with the new
> logo and some color changes and either post the source here or link it
> into the current site (maybe call it "mock up").  I don't think I have
> privileges to do the latter though...

Ok. If you can put the mock-up up somewhere I'll talk to Bill to see how
he is getting on with the Python.org move. If this is advanced, then the
mockup is best hosted on the new site I'd suggest. If it is some time
away, I can dust off the instructions that Samuele sent me to get the
mock-up uploaded so that folks can see it.

The website is built at present using an ant-based build process in
which chunks of content are topped and tailed by the build process to
produce full HTML pages.

Sean

Re: Re: logo / website re-design

fwierzbicki@gmail.com

The website is built at present using an ant-based build process in
which chunks of content are topped and tailed by the build process to
produce full HTML pages.

Thanks -- I've made my initial changes using the ant script and ht2html.py as you've described.  In fact, I've got a few updates for the ant script that I'll check in soon.  The mock-up is at an early stage -- when I get it just slightly better I'll be ready to put it wherever we want -- I'll have something to show by sometime this weekend.

-Frank

Re: Re: logo / website re-design

Frank Cohen
Hi Frank: Python.org makes more sense to me. I'd like to help author
the content. Is anyone working on the Jython.org home page? -Frank

On Oct 5, 2005, at 5:16 PM, Frank Wierzbicki wrote:

> Hi Frank,
>
> >> I would be happy to host the Jython community from this site.
> That is a very nice offer, but Bill de hÓra is working to get all
> of our web/wiki infrastructure moved to python.org which (IMHO) is
> really the right way to go.
>
> -Frank

Re: Re: logo / website re-design

fwierzbicki@gmail.com

On 10/6/05, Frank Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Frank: Python.org makes more sense to me. I'd like to help author
the content. Is anyone working on the Jython.org home page? -Frank

I'm doing a quick mock-up of the front page with the new icon, some color changes, and some proposed sections to make the page look more like the python.org page, and Sean McGrath, who has been maintaining the current site, has offered to help.  I think we'd I'll like to hear content ideas.

-Frank

Re: logo / website re-design

dehora
Frank Wierzbicki wrote:

> What do others think?

I like the logo, but would like the snake shortened so it takes up less
vertical space.

cheers
Bill

Re: logo / website re-design

dehora
Bill de hÓra wrote:
> Frank Wierzbicki wrote:
>

>>What do others think?
>

> I like the logo, but would like the snake shortened so it takes up less
> vertical space.

Actually, if you remove the cup and play around with the colors...

cheers
Bill

jython_logo_Background.png (11K) Download Attachment

Re: Re: logo / website re-design

dehora
Frank Wierzbicki wrote:
>>> How to proceed? I'm happy to help out.
>>> Sean
> I think I'm going to take a crack at a simple front page with the new
> logo and some color changes and either post the source here or link it
> into the current site (maybe call it "mock up").  I don't think I have
> privileges to do the latter though...

Frank,

Go ahead with the front page and other good stuff. The migration to
python.org is mainly mechanical and has nothing to do with look and
feel, or content (I'll get round organizing that once I clear some decks
in work and with the Atom protocol).

cheers
Bill

Re: logo / website re-design

fwierzbicki@gmail.com
Ah, but the cup is the best part... without it, its just a python :)

On 10/6/05, Bill de hÓra <[hidden email]> wrote:
Bill de hÓra wrote:
> Frank Wierzbicki wrote:
>

>>What do others think?
>

> I like the logo, but would like the snake shortened so it takes up less
> vertical space.

Actually, if you remove the cup and play around with the colors...

cheers
Bill

Re: logo / website re-design

fwierzbicki@gmail.com

I like the logo, but would like the snake shortened so it takes up less
vertical space.
If we adopted the top search bar like python.org has, but extended the corner image up into that space, the height would probably be just right.  Of course that would probably take some ht2html.py muckery.

-Frank

RE: logo / website re-design

cupdike
I'll throw my hat in the ring.  Yes, it looks horrible.
I'd leave the details to a real designer with a real tool.
But the concept is to flip the snake around and use it's
body for the J in jython.  Note the lame effort to
accentuate the J from the snake, FWIW.

-Clark

logo.gif (15K) Download Attachment
12