merging

Beverley Eyre-2
Hi,

I'm writing because I am interested in helping merge python.el with
python-mode.el and your website suggested that I contact you. I'm happy
that there is someone on Earth besides me who uses emacs to edit python
code and wants a better mode.

- Beverley Eyre

Re: merging

Barry Warsaw

Re: merging

fbe2
I see that the initial emails that Barry and I exchanged are here, but
not the rest. Briefly, I'm going to take on the task of comparing and
analyzing python.el (GNU) and python-mode.el (Launchpad) with the idea
that a merged and better-than-either version can be created, and will
begin by doing the suggested inventory.

To get a quick idea of the size of the task, I wrote a script that
figured out how many functions there are and how many have the same name
in both versions (sans the 'py-' or 'python-' prefix). There are 81
functions in python-mode.el and 66 functions in python.el, 147 total. Of
those, only 9 have the same function name:
py[thon]-
                backslash-continuation-line-p
                continuation-line-p
                current-defun
                guess-indent(-offset for pm)
                indent-line
                 mark-block
                 next-statement
                 outdent-p
                 previous-statement

I haven't actually looked at them yet, so I don't know if they are
identical, but in any case, it looks as if there is not a whole lot of
cross-over.

Anyway, I'll post more when I've made a little progress. I won't post
any my analysis here because of the probable size of the files, but I'll
put them in some easily downloadable spot, like the wiki maybe, and
anyone interesting in participating in a code review process can get
them and talk about it here.

Bev

Re: merging

Andreas Röhler-2

Hi Beverley,

IMO exists no easy way to merge at all here in general.

Proceeding differs occasionally profoundly; results and
chances are only seen partly (at least for me). So I
wouldn't want to say: drop this form, take another and
rebuild with that.

After all the only useful way I imagine is to regard
form by form starting from an real issue/feature to
implement.

So my question would be: Do you see any feature in
python.el, python-mode.el doesn't deliver?

Thanks

Andreas Röhler

Beverley Eyre wrote:

> I see that the initial emails that Barry and I exchanged are here, but
> not the rest. Briefly, I'm going to take on the task of comparing and
> analyzing python.el (GNU) and python-mode.el (Launchpad) with the idea
> that a merged and better-than-either version can be created, and will
> begin by doing the suggested inventory.
>
> To get a quick idea of the size of the task, I wrote a script that
> figured out how many functions there are and how many have the same name
> in both versions (sans the 'py-' or 'python-' prefix). There are 81
> functions in python-mode.el and 66 functions in python.el, 147 total. Of
> those, only 9 have the same function name:
> py[thon]-
>                backslash-continuation-line-p
>                continuation-line-p
>                current-defun
>                guess-indent(-offset for pm)
>                indent-line
>                 mark-block
>                 next-statement
>                 outdent-p
>                 previous-statement
>
> I haven't actually looked at them yet, so I don't know if they are
> identical, but in any case, it looks as if there is not a whole lot of
> cross-over.
>
> Anyway, I'll post more when I've made a little progress. I won't post
> any my analysis here because of the probable size of the files, but I'll
> put them in some easily downloadable spot, like the wiki maybe, and
> anyone interesting in participating in a code review process can get
> them and talk about it here.
>
> Bev
>
> Barry Warsaw wrote:

> Hi Beverley,
>
> I'm psyched to hear you're interested in helping out with this.  I
> think one of the first things to do is to inventory what's different
> between the two modes.  Then we should try to evaluate which mode does
> common tasks better and decide what we'll take from each.  Would you
> be up for that?
>
> -Barry

Re: merging

Andreas Röhler-2

Hi all,

IMO exists no easy way to merge at all here in general.

Proceedings differ; results and chances are only seen
partly (at least for me).

Beverley Eyre wrote:

> I see that the initial emails that Barry and I exchanged are here, but
> not the rest. Briefly, I'm going to take on the task of comparing and
> analyzing python.el (GNU) and python-mode.el (Launchpad) with the idea
> that a merged and better-than-either version can be created, and will
> begin by doing the suggested inventory.
>
> To get a quick idea of the size of the task, I wrote a script that
> figured out how many functions there are and how many have the same name
> in both versions (sans the 'py-' or 'python-' prefix). There are 81
> functions in python-mode.el and 66 functions in python.el, 147 total. Of
> those, only 9 have the same function name:
> py[thon]-
>                backslash-continuation-line-p
>                continuation-line-p
>                current-defun
>                guess-indent(-offset for pm)
>                indent-line
>                 mark-block
>                 next-statement
>                 outdent-p
>                 previous-statement
>
> I haven't actually looked at them yet, so I don't know if they are
> identical, but in any case, it looks as if there is not a whole lot of
> cross-over.
>
> Anyway, I'll post more when I've made a little progress. I won't post
> any my analysis here because of the probable size of the files, but I'll
> put them in some easily downloadable spot, like the wiki maybe, and
> anyone interesting in participating in a code review process can get
> them and talk about it here.
>
> Bev
>
> Barry Warsaw wrote:

> Hi Beverley,
>
> I'm psyched to hear you're interested in helping out with this.  I
> think one of the first things to do is to inventory what's different
> between the two modes.  Then we should try to evaluate which mode does
> common tasks better and decide what we'll take from each.  Would you
> be up for that?
>
> -Barry

Re: merging

Andreas Röhler-2
Just see a new python.el at emacs-sources...

Cheers

Andreas Röhler

Beverley Eyre wrote:

> I see that the initial emails that Barry and I exchanged are here, but
> not the rest. Briefly, I'm going to take on the task of comparing and
> analyzing python.el (GNU) and python-mode.el (Launchpad) with the idea
> that a merged and better-than-either version can be created, and will
> begin by doing the suggested inventory.
>
> To get a quick idea of the size of the task, I wrote a script that
> figured out how many functions there are and how many have the same name
> in both versions (sans the 'py-' or 'python-' prefix). There are 81
> functions in python-mode.el and 66 functions in python.el, 147 total. Of
> those, only 9 have the same function name:
> py[thon]-
>                backslash-continuation-line-p
>                continuation-line-p
>                current-defun
>                guess-indent(-offset for pm)
>                indent-line
>                 mark-block
>                 next-statement
>                 outdent-p
>                 previous-statement
>
> I haven't actually looked at them yet, so I don't know if they are
> identical, but in any case, it looks as if there is not a whole lot of
> cross-over.
>
> Anyway, I'll post more when I've made a little progress. I won't post
> any my analysis here because of the probable size of the files, but I'll
> put them in some easily downloadable spot, like the wiki maybe, and
> anyone interesting in participating in a code review process can get
> them and talk about it here.
>
> Bev
>
> Barry Warsaw wrote:

> Hi Beverley,
>
> I'm psyched to hear you're interested in helping out with this.  I
> think one of the first things to do is to inventory what's different
> between the two modes.  Then we should try to evaluate which mode does
> common tasks better and decide what we'll take from each.  Would you
> be up for that?
>
> -Barry

Re: merging

Barry Warsaw

Re: merging

Andreas Röhler-2

Hi Beverly,

should I be able to assist you with some checks, please
feel free to send the code.

I run python 2.5 with

XEmacs 21.5  (beta28) "fuki" (+CVS-20070806) [Lucid] (i386-suse-linux, Mule) of Sun Sep 23 2007 on verdi

GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i586-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.0) of 2007-11-24 on dede

Andreas Röhler

Beverley Eyre wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> I haven't actually looked at them yet, so I don't know if they are
>>> identical, but in any case, it looks as if there is not a whole lot of
>>> cross-over.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I'll post more when I've made a little progress. I won't post
>>> any my analysis here because of the probable size of the files, but I'll
>>> put them in some easily downloadable spot, like the wiki maybe, and
>>> anyone interesting in participating in a code review process can get
>>> them and talk about it here.
>>>
>>> Bev
>>>
>>> Barry Warsaw wrote:

>>> Hi Beverley,
>>>
>>> I'm psyched to hear you're interested in helping out with this.  I
>>> think one of the first things to do is to inventory what's different
>>> between the two modes.  Then we should try to evaluate which mode does
>>> common tasks better and decide what we'll take from each.  Would you

Re: merging

fbe2

Andreas,

Thanks for the offer.  I'll definitely send my code along to you (or post is where everyone can get it).

- Bev

Barry Warsaw wrote:
On Jan 1, 2009, at 9:56 PM, Beverley Eyre wrote:

I'm writing because I am interested in helping merge python.el with
python-mode.el and your website suggested that I contact you. I'm
happy that there is someone on Earth besides me who uses emacs to
edit python code and wants a better mode.

Hi Beverley,

I'm psyched to hear you're interested in helping out with this.  I
think one of the first things to do is to inventory what's different
between the two modes.  Then we should try to evaluate which mode does
common tasks better and decide what we'll take from each.  Would you
be up for that?

-Barry

Re: merging

Barry Warsaw

Re: merging

Jeff Bauer
Beverley,

If you're taking requests, support for "which-func-mode" might be on
my list for the python-mode.el merge.  Thanks.

Jeff Bauer
Rubicon, Inc.