more ruminations... (Python and physics etc.)

more ruminations... (Python and physics etc.)

kirby urner-4
More ruminations regarding Python and math teaching, at the
Math Forum, with stuff about Smalltalk, OLPC etc.

Excerpt:

"""
I'm thinking Arthur Siegel (on edu-sig / Python Nation) was on the
right track in always insisting that VPython become a part of the
standard distro. Having something relatively easy, user friendly
that's OpenGL, is gonna do wonders for your geometry classes,
and after geometry + geography, what else is there? Me 'n
Sir William thought the same way. [William Colby -- KU]
"""

http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=7133134&tstart=0

Also, after two days with the physics teachers, I'm again impressed
with how far ahead the community seems to be, vis-a-vis most of
the math teaching community, in terms of embracing social networking,
other tools.

http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2010/07/physics-conference.html

I was sorry to miss Ruth Chabay's VPython presentations.  She was
among the presenters.  http://www4.ncsu.edu/~rwchabay/

I did see stuff happening with Python though.  Even my own work
was mentioned (Studies in Human Motion, using Python + POV-Ray,
with input from a spreadsheet getting from sensors attached to
a dancer's body).

The movies:
http://physics.doane.edu/hpp/Resources/UHMCD/UHMCDMedia.htm

http://physics.doane.edu/hpp/Resources/UHMCD/UHMCDPeople.htm
(includes me in the credits)

Then there's this software called Logger Pro by Vernier that a
lot of physics teachers are using.  Venier is to physics teaching
sort of what TI is to math teaching?

Kirby

Re: more ruminations... (Python and physics etc.)

Vern Ceder
Hi Kirby,

kirby urner wrote:

> Then there's this software called Logger Pro by Vernier that a
> lot of physics teachers are using.  Venier is to physics teaching
> sort of what TI is to math teaching?

Yeah, and chemistry as well. Basically, they sell sensors... and the
hardware to interface with them... and the software to read (and plot)
the data. There may be other companies out there, but Vernier is just
about all you hear of.

They do publish the tech info on all of their devices, but I don't know
of any Python libraries for reading them. Should be do-able, though.

Their software used to be pretty proprietary and Windows-centric, but
they have shown signs of opening things up a bit. They have a version of
Logger Pro that runs on Linux available for free as part of a public beta:
http://www.vernier.com/soft/lpl/

And even a lite version that runs on the OLPC XO.

Cheers,
Vern

> Kirby

This time for sure!