no education in Pycon 2010 talks

Andrew Harrington
Looks like an interesting collection of talks for Pycon 2010, but I do not see a single talk that I recognize as coming from the educational community.  (Am I wrong?)  The only place I know where this is listed is
http://us.pycon.org/2010/conference/proposals/status/#accepted
which is likely only viewable by those on the program committee.
Is the educational community coming?  What we do informally outside the talks is usually the biggest thing.  I am interested in a session/sprint generating stuff for PyWhip, but I can't stay after the regular conference time.

I have gone every year for many years, but I need a bit of motivation to go this year.

--
Andrew N. Harrington
 Director of Academic Programs

http://www.cs.luc.edu/~anh
Phone: 312-915-7982
Fax:    312-915-7998
[hidden email] for graduate administration
[hidden email] for undergrad administration
[hidden email] as professor

Re: no education in Pycon 2010 talks

Vern Ceder
Andy,

As I recall, there weren't many education directed talk proposals this
year (in fact, I don't recall seeing any).

I hope that the advent of poster sessions <PLUG>(see
http://us.pycon.org/2010/conference/posters/) will add some opportunity
for educational content. I would strongly encourage (beg, wheedle,
plead, etc) the readers of this list to present a poster on an education
topic, or a virtual poster, if you can't make it to Atlanta. We also are
hoping for virtual posters from students, so encourage any bright
(and/or video minded) students to come up with something. </PLUG>

The idea of a PyWhip mini-sprint is kinda attractive, if we can find a
time to do it, since I can't stay for the sprints this year either.

Cheers,
Vern

Andrew Harrington wrote:

> Looks like an interesting collection of talks for Pycon 2010, but I do
> not see a single talk that I recognize as coming from the educational
> community.  (Am I wrong?)  The only place I know where this is listed is
> http://us.pycon.org/2010/conference/proposals/status/#accepted
> which is likely only viewable by those on the program committee.
> Is the educational community coming?  What we do informally outside the
> talks is usually the biggest thing.  I am interested in a session/sprint
> generating stuff for PyWhip, but I can't stay after the regular
> conference time.
>
> I have gone every year for many years, but I need a bit of motivation to
> go this year.
>
> --
> Andrew N. Harrington
>  Director of Academic Programs
>  Computer Science Department
>  Loyola University Chicago
>  512B Lewis Towers (office)
>  Snail mail to Lewis Towers 416
>  820 North Michigan Avenue
>  Chicago, Illinois 60611
>
> http://www.cs.luc.edu/~anh
> Phone: 312-915-7982
> Fax:    312-915-7998
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> for graduate administration
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> for undergrad administration
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> as professor

This time for sure!
    -Bullwinkle J. Moose

Re: no education in Pycon 2010 talks

Trevor Toenjes
I am interested in seeing more SIG Summits during PyCon.  But this
requires people to step up and organize them and email their lists and
verify people are coming.  PyCon is the perfect place for an organized
annual edu-sig meeting.
I dont know what the python educational community has done at PyCon in
the past, but I will be glad to create some publicity just about
Educators meeting at PyCon.  And if you give me some more info, I might
even be able to find sponsors interested in paying for parts of PyCon to
help educators attend and present materials.

I had another goal to reach out to regional Atlanta academics to invite
them to PyCon. but I am spending my time on finding Sponsors.  Is anyone
motivated to call the local universities and tech schools to invite
teachers and students to PyCon?  this would be a boon for PyCon if we
created an educational undercurrent through outreach.  There are
tutorial sessions that could also be turned into sessions like "How to
Teach Python at xxx level".

-Trevor

Andrew Harrington wrote:

> Looks like an interesting collection of talks for Pycon 2010, but I do
> not see a single talk that I recognize as coming from the educational
> community.  (Am I wrong?)  The only place I know where this is listed is
> http://us.pycon.org/2010/conference/proposals/status/#accepted
> which is likely only viewable by those on the program committee.
> Is the educational community coming?  What we do informally outside
> the talks is usually the biggest thing.  I am interested in a
> session/sprint generating stuff for PyWhip, but I can't stay after the
> regular conference time.
>
> I have gone every year for many years, but I need a bit of motivation
> to go this year.
>
> --
> Andrew N. Harrington
>  Director of Academic Programs
>  Computer Science Department
>  Loyola University Chicago
>  512B Lewis Towers (office)
>  Snail mail to Lewis Towers 416
>  820 North Michigan Avenue
>  Chicago, Illinois 60611
>
> http://www.cs.luc.edu/~anh <http://www.cs.luc.edu/%7Eanh>
> Phone: 312-915-7982
> Fax:    312-915-7998
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> for graduate administration
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> for undergrad administration
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> as professor

Re: no education in Pycon 2010 talks

André Roberge

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Vern Ceder <[hidden email]> wrote:
Andy,

As I recall, there weren't many education directed talk proposals this year (in fact, I don't recall seeing any).

I hope that the advent of poster sessions <PLUG>(see http://us.pycon.org/2010/conference/posters/) will add some opportunity for educational content. I would strongly encourage (beg, wheedle, plead, etc) the readers of this list to present a poster on an education topic, or a virtual poster, if you can't make it to Atlanta.

Thanks to you and others (Kirby? Steve Holden?) who came up with the idea of posters.  Unfortunately, it looks like I won't be able to make it to Pycon this year .... but I will give serious consideration to your call for virtual posters and hope others will do the same.

André

[snip]

Cheers,
Vern

Andrew Harrington wrote:
Looks like an interesting collection of talks for Pycon 2010, but I do not see a single talk that I recognize as coming from the educational community.  (Am I wrong?)
[snip]
--
Andrew N. Harrington

[snip]

Re: no education in Pycon 2010 talks

Vern Ceder
Hi Trevor,

Trevor Toenjes wrote:

> I am interested in seeing more SIG Summits during PyCon.  But this
> requires people to step up and organize them and email their lists and
> verify people are coming.  PyCon is the perfect place for an organized
> annual edu-sig meeting.
> I dont know what the python educational community has done at PyCon in
> the past, but I will be glad to create some publicity just about
> Educators meeting at PyCon.  And if you give me some more info, I might
> even be able to find sponsors interested in paying for parts of PyCon to
> help educators attend and present materials.

Actually, we've probably been more active than most - every year members
of edu-sig have gone out to dinner and spent an open space evening
together. Naturally more publicity and support would always be welcome.

> I had another goal to reach out to regional Atlanta academics to invite
> them to PyCon. but I am spending my time on finding Sponsors.  Is anyone
> motivated to call the local universities and tech schools to invite
> teachers and students to PyCon?  this would be a boon for PyCon if we
> created an educational undercurrent through outreach.  There are
> tutorial sessions that could also be turned into sessions like "How to
> Teach Python at xxx level".

I would also appreciate it if someone had the academic contacts and the
time to pursue them. However, I doubt that we can tinker with the
tutorials much at this point. OTOH, posters, lightning talks, and open
space are all very well suited for both educators and students, so it
would be good to get the word out. Anyone?

Vern

> -Trevor
>

> Andrew Harrington wrote:
>> Looks like an interesting collection of talks for Pycon 2010, but I do
>> not see a single talk that I recognize as coming from the educational
>> community.  (Am I wrong?)  The only place I know where this is listed is
>> http://us.pycon.org/2010/conference/proposals/status/#accepted
>> which is likely only viewable by those on the program committee.
>> Is the educational community coming?  What we do informally outside
>> the talks is usually the biggest thing.  I am interested in a
>> session/sprint generating stuff for PyWhip, but I can't stay after the
>> regular conference time.
>> I have gone every year for many years, but I need a bit of motivation
>> to go this year.
>>
>> --
>> Andrew N. Harrington
>>  Director of Academic Programs
>>  Computer Science Department
>>  Loyola University Chicago
>>  512B Lewis Towers (office)
>>  Snail mail to Lewis Towers 416
>>  820 North Michigan Avenue
>>  Chicago, Illinois 60611
>>
>> http://www.cs.luc.edu/~anh <http://www.cs.luc.edu/%7Eanh>
>> Phone: 312-915-7982
>> Fax:    312-915-7998
>> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> for graduate administration
>> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> for undergrad administration
>> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> as professor

This time for sure!
    -Bullwinkle J. Moose

Edu Summit at PyCon ?

Trevor Toenjes
Who is also part of pycon-organizers and can jump start some activity?

Vern Ceder wrote:
> Actually, we've probably been more active than most - every year
> members of edu-sig have gone out to dinner and spent an open space
> evening together. Naturally more publicity and support would always be
> welcome.
If this is satisfactory to everyone, then that is that. (the thread
seemed to die quickly)

But if there is a desire to accomplish more ... then it requires some
organization and effort.
My offer is open ended to do publicity if the group decides to organize
the beginning of something more formal like an Education Summit.  I am
glad to help find additional space if need and do press releases, etc.
Who can work on this?

> I would also appreciate it if someone had the academic contacts and
> the time to pursue them. However, I doubt that we can tinker with the
> tutorials much at this point. OTOH, posters, lightning talks, and open
> space are all very well suited for both educators and students, so it
> would be good to get the word out. Anyone?
Who will volunteer to start the grass-roots advocacy and call academics
around Atlanta and invite them and their students to PyCon and to meet
with the edu group?

Re: Edu Summit at PyCon ?

Vern Ceder
Trevor Toenjes wrote:
> Who is also part of pycon-organizers and can jump start some activity?

Of course, Trevor and I are on pycon-organizers, but we both are in the
coordinating business already, Trevor with sponsorship and me with the
poster session. I can help some, but I'm reluctant to take the lead.

> Vern Ceder wrote:
>> Actually, we've probably been more active than most - every year
>> members of edu-sig have gone out to dinner and spent an open space
>> evening together. Naturally more publicity and support would always be
>> welcome.
> If this is satisfactory to everyone, then that is that. (the thread
> seemed to die quickly)
>
> But if there is a desire to accomplish more ... then it requires some
> organization and effort.
> My offer is open ended to do publicity if the group decides to organize
> the beginning of something more formal like an Education Summit.  I am
> glad to help find additional space if need and do press releases, etc.
> Who can work on this?

Yeah, the real question is whether we want to move to something more
formal. We've usually had something like 20-25 show up for part or all
of the open space, so we could probably expect to have enough mass for a
more formal summit.

The other summits have met during a tutorial day, which might be a
problem for some of us in getting more time away from classes, an extra
night of hotel, etc. OTOH, if we have a summit during PyCon we either
have to take an evening or miss a chunk of talks.

The past couple of years Andy Harrington and I have done the following:

* setup a page on the PyCon wiki to collect attendees, topics and dinner
plans (Vern)
* publicized our meeting on this list (Vern)
* researched a restaurant and made reservations (this is something that
someone local is best equipped to do) (Andy)
* reserved an open space room for our evening conversations (Andy)

Other than the barest get-things-started nudge, we haven't had much need
for a moderator or the like - we've just let the conversation flow.

I can certainly set up the wiki page again, and will back Trevor up (if
needed) in asking pycon-organizers for the space. With Trevor's offer to
do publicity, a coordinator's role would mainly (I think) be:

* manage outreach to potential attendees/invitees and the ed community
(esp. those in the Atlanta area)
* work out a format and agenda, etc
* pitch the idea to the pycon-organizers, with Trevor and me (at least)
as backup
* coordinate with Trevor on overall location and publicity needs.

>> I would also appreciate it if someone had the academic contacts and
>> the time to pursue them. However, I doubt that we can tinker with the
>> tutorials much at this point. OTOH, posters, lightning talks, and open
>> space are all very well suited for both educators and students, so it
>> would be good to get the word out. Anyone?
> Who will volunteer to start the grass-roots advocacy and call academics
> around Atlanta and invite them and their students to PyCon and to meet
> with the edu group?

Cheers,
Vern

--
This time for sure!
    -Bullwinkle J. Moose

Re: Edu Summit at PyCon ?

kirby urner-4
Regarding promoting an edu-track @ Pycon, what I did last year, maybe
effectively, was sign in to the Chicago Users Group (Python) and start
yakking about my issues, bragging about how Portland was light years
ahead of the midwest and yada yada.

Upshot:  uncertain.  We had a self-reported math teacher show up in
bike clothes at the exhibitionary break i.e. he wasn't pretending to
have paid a registration.  Plus I had a guy jump into my workshop
claiming to have completely lost patience with the one down the hall,
a refugee, but was he even registered then?  WTF knows.

In any case, Pycon 2009 / Chicago was pretty strong on education.  Ian
Benson was expressing urgency, hoping to make himself understood
through flyers on every chair, which got us in hot water with the
legal team a bit, no lasting damage.

The BOF also included Dr. Chuck, just finished with his Google App
Engine book, me one of the tech reviewers, so we were looking forward
to meeting.

Andre Roberge was there to deliver a great talk on Crunchy and receive
steering privileges vis-a-vis edu-sig home page, so yeah, a lot was
accomplished (lots more than I just said, sharing perspective --
education big the year before that too, some dinners).

I'm still on the Chicago list, made some new friends.

So maybe there's one for Atlanta?

I'm still uncertain about my February agenda.  A theme over hear has
been "escape from Georgia", our company having been joined by a
refugee from Savannah.  Were we to represent ourselves at Pycon, she'd
be a logical delegate.  She'd blend right in.

Thanks in part to diversity list, I'm especially interested in not
sending guys (as in XYs) from my small business, or at least not
exclusively.  If there's only to be one, it won't be me.

OSCON is another matter however, given no hotel bill or airfare.

Kirby