numpy / IronClad?

Chad Brockman

Anyone know if the effort to port numpy to IronPython is still alive? Enthought / MS announced it last year? http://www.enthought.com/media/SciPyNumPyDotNet.pdf

Anyone know if IronClad is still being developed?

Thanks, Chad

Re: numpy / IronClad?

Jeff Hardy-4
Re: numpy - it sure looks like it:
https://github.com/numpy/numpy-refactor/tree/refactor/numpy/NumpyDotNet.
(last commit 2 days ago)

As for IronClad, I'm not sure - it doesn't look like it, and I'm not
sure Resolver is still using IronPython. I would love to see it rolled
into the main IronPython releases, though, if someone's up for a hell
of a challenge (and willing to commit to long term maintenance.

The CPython devs have talked about committing to a stable public ABI
for 3.3, which would help a lot. I'm not sure if that went any where
recently, though.

- Jeff

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Chad Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anyone know if the effort to port numpy to IronPython is still alive?
> Enthought / MS announced it last year?
> http://www.enthought.com/media/SciPyNumPyDotNet.pdf
>

> Anyone know if IronClad is still being developed?
>

> Thanks, Chad

Re: numpy / IronClad?

Seo Sanghyeon-3
2011/3/2 Jeff Hardy <[hidden email]>:
> The CPython devs have talked about committing to a stable public ABI
> for 3.3, which would help a lot. I'm not sure if that went any where
> recently, though.

Some of stable ABI work got already in for 3.2.
http://docs.python.org/py3k/whatsnew/3.2.html

--
Seo Sanghyeon

Re: numpy / IronClad?

Vernon D. Cole

Also, 3.2 defines a new import strategy which will be important (and I think.helpful) to use.

Vernon Cole
(sent from my 'droid phone)

On Mar 1, 2011 8:48 PM, "Seo Sanghyeon" <[hidden email]> wrote:
2011/3/2 Jeff Hardy <[hidden email]>:

> The CPython devs have talked about committing to a stable public ABI
> for 3.3, which would help a...

Some of stable ABI work got already in for 3.2.
http://docs.python.org/py3k/whatsnew/3.2.html

--
Seo Sanghyeon

Re: numpy / IronClad?

Giles Thomas
On 01/03/2011 22:42, Jeff Hardy wrote:
> As for IronClad, I'm not sure - it doesn't look like it, and I'm not
> sure Resolver is still using IronPython.

Just to clarify -- we're still using IronPython for Resolver One, our
Windows desktop app.  Our new (currently in beta) web-based
"programmable cloud spreadsheet", Dirigible, is based on CPython.

We've not updated Ironclad for a while, but it's under an MIT license,
so presumably it could be rolled into IronPython -- we'd certainly be
happy to see that happen, though we're a bit resource-constrained at the
moment and couldn't play a significant role in the work.

Regards,

Giles
--

Giles Thomas
[hidden email]

Dirigible: a programmable cloud spreadsheet
<http://projectdirigible.com/>

17a Clerkenwell Road, London EC1M 5RD, UK
VAT No.: GB 893 5643 79
Registered in England and Wales as company number 5467329.
Registered address: 843 Finchley Road, London NW11 8NA, UK

Re: numpy / IronClad?

Jason McCampbell
Hi Chad,

Sorry for the delayed response, we were busy getting the beta release of NumPy and SciPy together.  Microsoft announced the availability of NumPy and SciPy for IronPython / .NET  at PyCon the end of last week.

You can find the install instructions here for the pre-built binaries: http://www.enthought.com/repo/.iron/

Alternately you can grab the source code from the following repositories:

One note we don't have documented right now is that SciPy requires the Python stack frames access, which IronPython doesn't enable by default.  To run SciPy you need to use the "-X:Frames" argument:
    ipy.exe -X:Frames -c "import scipy"

Regards,
Jason

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Chad Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:

Anyone know if the effort to port numpy to IronPython is still alive? Enthought / MS announced it last year? http://www.enthought.com/media/SciPyNumPyDotNet.pdf

Anyone know if IronClad is still being developed?

Thanks, Chad

Jason McCampbell
Enthought, Inc.
512.850.6069

Re: numpy / IronClad?

Doug Blank
On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Jason McCampbell
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Chad,
> Sorry for the delayed response, we were busy getting the beta release of
> NumPy and SciPy together.  Microsoft announced the availability of NumPy and
> SciPy for IronPython / .NET  at PyCon the end of last week.

This is great news! Had no idea this was under development.

> You can find the install instructions here for the pre-built
> binaries: http://www.enthought.com/repo/.iron/
> Alternately you can grab the source code from the following repositories:
>     https://github.com/numpy/numpy-refactor
>     https://github.com/jasonmccampbell/scipy-refactor
> One note we don't have documented right now is that SciPy requires the
> Python stack frames access, which IronPython doesn't enable by default.  To
> run SciPy you need to use the "-X:Frames" argument:
>     ipy.exe -X:Frames -c "import scipy"
> Regards,
> Jason

As IronPython runs under many different operating systems now, it
would be useful to know what the dependencies are for numpy and scipy:

- is Windows a requirement?
- does it work under Mono?
- can IronRuby etc take advantage of these libraries?

I tried to run the build the process with xbuild rather than msbuild,
but it looks like System.Numerics might not be implemented in Mono?

Thanks!

-Doug

> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Chad Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Anyone know if the effort to port numpy to IronPython is still alive?
>> Enthought / MS announced it last year?
>> http://www.enthought.com/media/SciPyNumPyDotNet.pdf
>>

>> Anyone know if IronClad is still being developed?
>>

>> Thanks, Chad

> Jason McCampbell
> Enthought, Inc.
> 512.850.6069

Re: numpy / IronClad?

Jason McCampbell
As IronPython runs under many different operating systems now, it
would be useful to know what the dependencies are for numpy and scipy:

- is Windows a requirement?
- does it work under Mono?

No, not directly but practically for the short-term Windows is requires for the SciPy piece.  NumPy is quite cross-platform and uses the very cross-platform NumPy core (C code), a little bit of C++ code, and a bunch of C#.  I haven't tried building it on Mono recently but aside from getting the builds to work there shouldn't be a lot of work.  It does require .NET 4 so likely Mono 2.10 will be a requirement.

SciPy is more restrictive because it relies on C++/CLI which is not supported on Mono.  The reason is that we are using the Cython tool to generate interfaces for CPython and IronPython from a single source.  Unfortunately because Cython allows users to import arbitrary C header files, C++/CLI was the only practical option for the time being.

- can IronRuby etc take advantage of these libraries?

Probably, at least some of the functionality.  The interface is straight .NET so C#, F# and other languages can make use of the NumPy ndarray object and other objects.  The biggest limitation is that a fair amount of the functionality is implemented in Python so it is necessary to evaluate Python expressions to make use of it.  This is straightforward from C# or F# and I am assuming it can be done from IronRuby, but that's just a guess.

I tried to run the build the process with xbuild rather than msbuild,
but it looks like System.Numerics might not be implemented in Mono?

I was able to add a reference to System.Numerics and open it under Mono 2.10 and I thought it was part of 2.8 but I may be mistaken. Perhaps Mono is selecting the wrong .NET runtime?

Thanks!

-Doug

> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Chad Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Anyone know if the effort to port numpy to IronPython is still alive?
>> Enthought / MS announced it last year?
>> http://www.enthought.com/media/SciPyNumPyDotNet.pdf
>>

>> Anyone know if IronClad is still being developed?
>>

>> Thanks, Chad

> Jason McCampbell
> Enthought, Inc.

Jason McCampbell
Enthought, Inc.
512.850.6069

Re: numpy / IronClad?

Chad Brockman

So I’m assuming no Silverlight then? For the same reasons?

Thanks, Chad

As IronPython runs under many different operating systems now, it
would be useful to know what the dependencies are for numpy and scipy:

- is Windows a requirement?

- does it work under Mono?

No, not directly but practically for the short-term Windows is requires for the SciPy piece.  NumPy is quite cross-platform and uses the very cross-platform NumPy core (C code), a little bit of C++ code, and a bunch of C#.  I haven't tried building it on Mono recently but aside from getting the builds to work there shouldn't be a lot of work.  It does require .NET 4 so likely Mono 2.10 will be a requirement.

SciPy is more restrictive because it relies on C++/CLI which is not supported on Mono.  The reason is that we are using the Cython tool to generate interfaces for CPython and IronPython from a single source.  Unfortunately because Cython allows users to import arbitrary C header files, C++/CLI was the only practical option for the time being.

- can IronRuby etc take advantage of these libraries?

Probably, at least some of the functionality.  The interface is straight .NET so C#, F# and other languages can make use of the NumPy ndarray object and other objects.  The biggest limitation is that a fair amount of the functionality is implemented in Python so it is necessary to evaluate Python expressions to make use of it.  This is straightforward from C# or F# and I am assuming it can be done from IronRuby, but that's just a guess.

I tried to run the build the process with xbuild rather than msbuild,
but it looks like System.Numerics might not be implemented in Mono?

I was able to add a reference to System.Numerics and open it under Mono 2.10 and I thought it was part of 2.8 but I may be mistaken. Perhaps Mono is selecting the wrong .NET runtime?

Thanks!

-Doug

> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Chad Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Anyone know if the effort to port numpy to IronPython is still alive?
>> Enthought / MS announced it last year?
>> http://www.enthought.com/media/SciPyNumPyDotNet.pdf
>>

>> Anyone know if IronClad is still being developed?
>>

>> Thanks, Chad

> Jason McCampbell
> Enthought, Inc.

Jason McCampbell

Enthought, Inc.

512.850.6069

Re: numpy / IronClad?

Jason McCampbell

So I’m assuming no Silverlight then? For the same reasons?

I'm not sure, I haven't used Silverlight. But if it can load the DLR is should be able to use at least the functionality that is accessible through .NET methods even if executing Python statements is difficult/restricted  Moonlight won't work because of the C++/CLI limitation of course.

Jason

Re: numpy / IronClad?

Jeff Hardy-4
On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 11:30 AM, Chad Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So I’m assuming no Silverlight then? For the same reasons?
>

> Thanks, Chad

I'm pretty sure Silverlight doesn't support native code, at least not
in the browser and phone.

- Jeff

Re: numpy / IronClad?

Federico Vaggi
Hey Jason, thanks for all the work on this.  I use the enthought python distribution, and it appears that the ironpkg package has some conflict with installer present in python - here is what happens if you run ironpkg after installing it:

C:\TEMP>ipy ironpkg-1.0.0.py --install
Bootstrapping: c:\users\fedev\appdata\local\temp\tmpzaqqhk\ironpkg-1.0.0-1.egg
   118 KB [.................................................................]

C:\TEMP>ironpkg scipy
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\IronPython 2.7\ironpkg-script.py", line 8, in <mo
dule>
  File "C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\enstaller\main.py", line 19, in <module>
  File "C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\enstaller\config.py", line 11, in <module>

  File "C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\enstaller\utils.py", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named bz2

My guess is that since python site-lib and ironpython site-lib are on the path, the installer tries to look through the python lib first?

Either way, should be easy to fix, I'll just grab the version from git and play around with it.

Federico

On 14/03/2011 18:25, Jason McCampbell wrote:
[...]

Jones, Larry

Great work on SciPy and NumPy!

Any plans for IPython?

---

Larry Jones
||| Senior Level Development Engineer
Aspen Technology, Inc.
||| +1 281-504-3324 ||| fax: 281-584-1062 ||| www.aspentech.com

Sorry for the delayed response, we were busy getting the beta release of NumPy and SciPy together.  Microsoft announced the availability of NumPy and SciPy for IronPython / .NET  at PyCon the end of last week.

You can find the install instructions here for the pre-built binaries: http://www.enthought.com/repo/.iron/

Alternately you can grab the source code from the following repositories:

One note we don't have documented right now is that SciPy requires the Python stack frames access, which IronPython doesn't enable by default.  To run SciPy you need to use the "-X:Frames" argument:

    ipy.exe -X:Frames -c "import scipy"

Regards,

Jason

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Chad Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:

Anyone know if the effort to port numpy to IronPython is still alive? Enthought / MS announced it last year? http://www.enthought.com/media/SciPyNumPyDotNet.pdf

Anyone know if IronClad is still being developed?

Thanks, Chad

Jason McCampbell

Enthought, Inc.

512.850.6069

This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email, and any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error please immediately notify the sender and permanently delete the original copy and any copy of any e-mail, and any printout thereof.

Re: numpy / IronClad?

Jason McCampbell
On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 3:00 AM, Federico Vaggi <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Federico, the packager was just something quick we put together since there wasn't an existing one for IronPython and we needed a way to manage packages.  I haven't seen an install of IronPython that has both the CPython and IronPython site-packages directories in the same path and I'm not surprised the packager doesn't handle it.

Does putting both site-packages directories in the same path work in general? It seems like it would lead to issues with getting the wrong versions of packages, but perhaps not.

Regards,
Jason

Re: numpy / IronClad?

Jason McCampbell
On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 9:19 AM, Jones, Larry <[hidden email]> wrote:

Great work on SciPy and NumPy!

Any plans for IPython?

Not that I'm aware of, but a lot depends on how the IronPython community develops and how it's used.  Microsoft has released their Python Tools for Visual Studio package that has some similar functionality which looks quite interesting, though I haven't had a chance to really work it yet.

Re: numpy / IronClad?

Felix Zumstein
Jason,

is there somewhere a more detailed user guide on how to perform step 3 of the installation (ironpkg)? I'm kind of lost.

thank very much!!
Felix

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Chad Brockman <chadbr@slb.com> wrote:

>  Anyone know if the effort to port numpy to IronPython is still alive?
> Enthought / MS announced it last year?
> http://www.enthought.com/media/SciPyNumPyDotNet.pdf
>

> Anyone know if IronClad is still being developed?
>

> Thanks, Chad

*Jason McCampbell*
Enthought, Inc.
512.850.6069
jmccampbell@enthought.com

Re: numpy / IronClad?

Felix Zumstein
I managed to resolve my problems. Part of it was that I had to run the cmd prompt in the administrator mode (on windows 7).
Felice80 wrote
Jason,

is there somewhere a more detailed user guide on how to perform step 3 of the installation (ironpkg)? I'm kind of lost.

thank very much!!
Felix

Jason McCampbell wrote
Hi Chad,

Sorry for the delayed response, we were busy getting the beta release of
NumPy and SciPy together.  Microsoft announced the availability of NumPy and
SciPy for IronPython / .NET  at PyCon the end of last week.

You can find the install instructions here for the pre-built binaries:
http://www.enthought.com/repo/.iron/

<http://www.enthought.com/repo/.iron/>Alternately you can grab the source
code from the following repositories:
    https://github.com/numpy/numpy-refactor
    https://github.com/jasonmccampbell/scipy-refactor

One note we don't have documented right now is that SciPy requires the
Python stack frames access, which IronPython doesn't enable by default.  To
run SciPy you need to use the "-X:Frames" argument:
    ipy.exe -X:Frames -c "import scipy"

<https://github.com/jasonmccampbell/scipy-refactor>Regards,
Jason

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Chad Brockman <chadbr@slb.com> wrote:

>  Anyone know if the effort to port numpy to IronPython is still alive?
> Enthought / MS announced it last year?
> http://www.enthought.com/media/SciPyNumPyDotNet.pdf
>

> Anyone know if IronClad is still being developed?
>

> Thanks, Chad

*Jason McCampbell*
Enthought, Inc.
512.850.6069
jmccampbell@enthought.com

Re: numpy / IronClad?

Jason McCampbell
Hi Felix,

Sorry, was traveling this week and got behind.  We don't have documentation on it yet, though it's similar to 'enpkg' for Python. You are welcome to email me with specific questions.

In general, the file is a self-installing Python file that creates the small ironpkg module.  This just manages the 'egg' files (essentially ZIP files) stored on our repository (others could be added) and will take care of download the eggs and extracting them.

Regards,
Jason

Jason McCampbell wrote:

> Hi Chad,
>
> Sorry for the delayed response, we were busy getting the beta release of
> NumPy and SciPy together.  Microsoft announced the availability of NumPy
> and
> SciPy for IronPython / .NET  at PyCon the end of last week.
>
> You can find the install instructions here for the pre-built binaries:
> http://www.enthought.com/repo/.iron/
>
> <http://www.enthought.com/repo/.iron/>Alternately you can grab the source
> code from the following repositories:
>     https://github.com/numpy/numpy-refactor
>     https://github.com/jasonmccampbell/scipy-refactor
>
> One note we don't have documented right now is that SciPy requires the
> Python stack frames access, which IronPython doesn't enable by default.
> run SciPy you need to use the "-X:Frames" argument:
>     ipy.exe -X:Frames -c "import scipy"
>
> <https://github.com/jasonmccampbell/scipy-refactor>Regards,
> Jason
>

> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Chad Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>  Anyone know if the effort to port numpy to IronPython is still alive?
>> Enthought / MS announced it last year?
>> http://www.enthought.com/media/SciPyNumPyDotNet.pdf
>>

>> Anyone know if IronClad is still being developed?
>>

>> Thanks, Chad

> *Jason McCampbell*
> Enthought, Inc.

Jason McCampbell
Enthought, Inc.
512.850.6069

Re: numpy / IronClad?

Felix Zumstein
Hi Jason,

thanks for getting back to me! As I pointed out in the resonse to my own post, I finally managed to install it. So from the command prompt, everything works out perfectly.

However: How can I import numpy/scipy from within Visual Studio 2010 (e.g. IronPython Interactive)? I don't know how to run the "-X:Frames" argument there.

thanks,
Felix

Jason McCampbell wrote

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 2:40 AM, Felice80 <fzumstein@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jason,
>
> is there somewhere a more detailed user guide on how to perform step 3 of
> the installation (ironpkg)? I'm kind of lost.
>
> thank very much!!
> Felix
>

> Jason McCampbell wrote:
> >
> > Hi Chad,
> >
> > Sorry for the delayed response, we were busy getting the beta release of
> > NumPy and SciPy together.  Microsoft announced the availability of NumPy
> > and
> > SciPy for IronPython / .NET  at PyCon the end of last week.
> >
> > You can find the install instructions here for the pre-built binaries:
> > http://www.enthought.com/repo/.iron/
> >
> > <http://www.enthought.com/repo/.iron/>Alternately you can grab the
> source
> > code from the following repositories:
> >     https://github.com/numpy/numpy-refactor
> >     https://github.com/jasonmccampbell/scipy-refactor
> >
> > One note we don't have documented right now is that SciPy requires the
> > Python stack frames access, which IronPython doesn't enable by default.
> > run SciPy you need to use the "-X:Frames" argument:
> >     ipy.exe -X:Frames -c "import scipy"
> >
> > <https://github.com/jasonmccampbell/scipy-refactor>Regards,
> > Jason
> >

> > On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Chad Brockman <chadbr@slb.com> wrote:
> >
> >>  Anyone know if the effort to port numpy to IronPython is still alive?
> >> Enthought / MS announced it last year?
> >> http://www.enthought.com/media/SciPyNumPyDotNet.pdf
> >>

> >> Anyone know if IronClad is still being developed?
> >>

> >> Thanks, Chad

> > --
> > *Jason McCampbell*
> > Enthought, Inc.
> > 512.850.6069
> > jmccampbell@enthought.com

*Jason McCampbell*
Enthought, Inc.
512.850.6069
jmccampbell@enthought.com

Re: numpy / IronClad?

Jason McCampbell
Hi Felix,

That's a good question, but unfortunately I don't know the answer.  I haven't used IronPython in the interactive mode under VS2010, just running from a command prompt.

Jason

Jason McCampbell wrote:

> Hi Felix,
>
> Sorry, was traveling this week and got behind.  We don't have
> documentation
> on it yet, though it's similar to 'enpkg' for Python. You are welcome to
> email me with specific questions.
>
> In general, the file is a self-installing Python file that creates the
> small
> ironpkg module.  This just manages the 'egg' files (essentially ZIP files)
> stored on our repository (others could be added) and will take care of
> download the eggs and extracting them.
>
> Regards,
> Jason
>
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 2:40 AM, Felice80 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Jason,
>>
>> is there somewhere a more detailed user guide on how to perform step 3 of
>> the installation (ironpkg)? I'm kind of lost.
>>
>> thank very much!!
>> Felix
>>

>> Jason McCampbell wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi Chad,
>> >
>> > Sorry for the delayed response, we were busy getting the beta release
>> of
>> > NumPy and SciPy together.  Microsoft announced the availability of
>> NumPy
>> > and
>> > SciPy for IronPython / .NET  at PyCon the end of last week.
>> >
>> > You can find the install instructions here for the pre-built binaries:
>> > http://www.enthought.com/repo/.iron/
>> >
>> > <http://www.enthought.com/repo/.iron/>Alternately you can grab the
>> source
>> > code from the following repositories:
>> >     https://github.com/numpy/numpy-refactor
>> >     https://github.com/jasonmccampbell/scipy-refactor
>> >
>> > One note we don't have documented right now is that SciPy requires the
>> > Python stack frames access, which IronPython doesn't enable by default.
>> > run SciPy you need to use the "-X:Frames" argument:
>> >     ipy.exe -X:Frames -c "import scipy"
>> >
>> > <https://github.com/jasonmccampbell/scipy-refactor>Regards,
>> > Jason

>> > --