on PySol's popularity

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe
Hi,
On Python docs, on faq/installed.html, it's mentioned that PySol is
the most common Python application. Is this a platform-specific fact?

Re: on PySol's popularity

George, Harry G
Fredrik Lundh <[hidden email]> writes:

> Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
>
> > On Python docs, on faq/installed.html, it's mentioned that PySol is
> > the most common Python application.
>
> not really; that page says that installing PySol is a common way to
> get a Python installation installed without noticing, not that PySol
> is in itself the most common Python application.
>
> and the entire python.org FAQ is horribly outdated.  we're working on
> a replacement, which is currently hosted here:
>
> http://effbot.org/pyfaq/installed-why-is-python-installed-on-my-machine.htm
>
> </F>

A plug for PySol.

My wife is totally non-techno.  She doesn't "get" the notions of
windows, or minimize/maximize, or clicking on the icon down on the
toolbar.  But she does get PySol.  When I recently upgraded, I had to
reinstall Python2.2 in order to use the old PySol binaries (couldn't
get the build-from-source to work).

Linux and Python got a fan due to PySol. It should be considered a
cultural treasure, and if a bit of funding would help keep it rolling
into the future, that might be worthwhile.

--
Harry George
PLM Engineering Architecture

Re: on PySol's popularity

Fredrik Lundh
Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:

> On Python docs, on faq/installed.html, it's mentioned that PySol is
> the most common Python application.

not really; that page says that installing PySol is a common way to get
a Python installation installed without noticing, not that PySol is in
itself the most common Python application.

and the entire python.org FAQ is horribly outdated.  we're working on a
replacement, which is currently hosted here:

http://effbot.org/pyfaq/installed-why-is-python-installed-on-my-machine.htm

</F>

Re: on PySol's popularity

Skip Montanaro-3

    Harry> A plug for PySol.

    Harry> My wife is totally non-techno.  She doesn't "get" the notions of
    Harry> windows, or minimize/maximize, or clicking on the icon down on
    Harry> the toolbar.

My wife appears to be only slightly less non-techno than yours.  Aside from
mail and web browsing, PySol is her number one application.

    Harry> [PySol] should be considered a cultural treasure, and if a bit of
    Harry> funding would help keep it rolling into the future, that might be
    Harry> worthwhile.

Agreed, and +1 QOTW.

Skip