open source admin in academia? (editorial)

open source admin in academia? (editorial)

kirby urner-4
I'm becoming more aware of the fact that one
reason universities need to charge those
tuitions is to pay licensing fees to private
vendors who provide them with such basic
services as the ability to store and schedule
classes, record student enrollment and grades,
record instructors etc.  The catalog needs to
be published on-line.  There might be a lot
of extended education options, e.g. non-credit
courses open to anyone willing to sign up.

Some of these proprietary programs are pretty
old, lack features departments need, and so
various intermediating applications grow up
around the edges to fill in the gaps.

Maybe the big dino system doesn't record
student evaluations for example, or keep track
of which courses are in the pipeline, but still
haven't found a place in the sun.

One would think that universities in particular,
which pride themselves on having advanced
knowledge of state of the art skills, would band
together in various consortia to pool resources
and "eat their own dog food" as it were.  A
school that teaches medicine actually practices
medicine (the "teaching hospital").  Shouldn't
schools that teach computer science and
business administration actually walk the talk
in some way?  Maybe many of them do, I don't
actually know.

To outsource something so core to one's business,
to pay licensing fees while not having the power
to make design modifications, just seems more
than a tad on the ironic side.  It's like a bank
outsourcing everything it does around money.

I realize not every college or university wants to
reinvent the wheel around something so basic,
but I do wonder to what extent there's some
open source sharing going on, around these core
utilities.  Are universities so competitive they
won't share?  So does that mean they all pay
the same licensing fees to use the same
private vendor offerings?

I remember Zope / Plone and SchoolTool.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SchoolTool

Is there something even more comprehensive
that's out there, suitable for college and university
use?  Does it come in modularized components?
Is it an over-the-web database?

Or do few if any universities really eat their own
dog food?

Like I say, I'm new to this business, just trying
to get oriented.

Kirby

Re: open source admin in academia? (editorial)

Mokurai
It frequently happens that the Computer Science Dept. uses Free
Software for almost everything, and everybody else uses proprietary
software. CS can't talk to the others effectively, because they are
"just geeks". I have more hope for elementary schools.

There are exceptions, such as Moodle.

http://www.earthtreasury.org/

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 5:29 PM, Edward Cherlin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It frequently happens that the Computer Science Dept. uses Free
> Software for almost everything, and everybody else uses proprietary
> software. CS can't talk to the others effectively, because they are
> "just geeks". I have more hope for elementary schools.

Yes, I understand.

Actually I suppose my query has two components, one having to do
with the self sufficiency of educational institutions when it comes to
the core software needed to run their operations...

and the other having to do with free and open source software,
which is one way communities band together collaboratively,
in order to co-develop said core software.

Like maybe MIT has some big programs for scheduling courses,
registering students, keeping info on financial aid / scholarships,
and publishing the catalog, all of which was developed in-house
over many iterations -- but none of these applications have been
released under GNU or other open source license.

In that case, MIT would be self sufficient by criterion (a), but is
not in the business of helping other schools ramp up using
customized versions of said FOSS software (b).  Maybe it's
too site specific?

MIT's in-house solutions might use open source (e.g. Python)
but the solutions themselves are the closely guarded secrets
of MIT (likewise a private company or government agency, like
Industrial Light and Magic, or NASA, might use Python but
not see any reason to share code).

This is all familiar ground by now -- we're all aware of these
distinctions.

I'm just thinking back to all those OSCON talks by R0ml
Lefkowitz and others, connecting FOSS practices and ethics
to the culture of the liberal arts.

If FOSS is about empowering and enabling local control,
then why would any self-respecting academy want to outsource
its core functions?  What kind of message does that send?

One could imagine that big strong universities would be
somewhat self-sufficient, semi-autonomous, when it came to
managing their own admin internals.  Do we have some well
known examples?

Having the system completely open for tweaking to those
on the premises potentially means faster evolution, more
expression of the human imagination, a tighter coupling
between theory and practice, drawing board and realized
features.  Schools could develop a reputation for the
ingenuity of their internal applications, which might also
help students coordinate their own schedules, promote
events, submit work etc.  Teachers would have access to
multiple resources as well, including tools no one has
thought of yet...

Beyond that, it means a culture that knows first hand
about collaborating on large projects, complete with
version control, division of responsibilities and all the rest
of it.  Shouldn't universities be centers of innovation,
starting with the bread and butter applications that
define their institutional relationships?

I remember a panel discussion I attended at a previous
OSCON, about open source in Africa.  The institutions in
that picture were quite keen to do as much of their own
programming as possible, as the whole point was to develop
the skills and understanding needed for self sufficiency.
Licensing fees can be a huge drain, and are in principal
avoidable in this day and age, given sufficient commitment
to local control.

I also remember CERN having some conference scheduling
software the EuroPython tried to repurpose for some
context outside CERN, and how frustrating that was.
Not every inhouse tool is equally adaptable.  Similar question
on Slashdot, re FLOSS conference management software:
http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/07/02/1954247

> There are exceptions, such as Moodle.

I suppose the argument could be made that universities
charged with teaching just don't have the time and
resources to compete with private industry, when it
comes to developing software for production use,
bug free enough to entrust with student records and
finances.

However, given how Linux, FreeBSD and GNU got off
the ground, you'd think there'd be a ready-made culture
of developers here, at least in some schools.

Add the open source ethic and model for sharing, and one
wonders why there's not already a lot of free and open
solutions out there -- like frameworks.

Here's something obscure that's at least in the ballpark:

http://tinyurl.com/2dpr6eb

"""
This paper describes a WAP-based course registration
system designed and implemented to facilitating the
process of students' registration at Bahrain University.
The framework will support many opportunities for
applying WAP based technology to many services
such as wireless commerce, cashless payment…
and location-based services.

...so is Bahrain University somewhat self sufficient when
it comes to admin software?

Kirby

> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 18:30, kirby urner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I'm becoming more aware of the fact that one
> > reason universities need to charge those
> > tuitions is to pay licensing fees to private
> > vendors who provide them with such basic
> > services as the ability to store and schedule
> > classes, record student enrollment and grades,
> > record instructors etc.  The catalog needs to
> > be published on-line.  There might be a lot
> > of extended education options, e.g. non-credit
> > courses open to anyone willing to sign up.
> >
> > Some of these proprietary programs are pretty
> > old, lack features departments need, and so
> > various intermediating applications grow up
> > around the edges to fill in the gaps.
> >
> > Maybe the big dino system doesn't record
> > student evaluations for example, or keep track
> > of which courses are in the pipeline, but still
> > haven't found a place in the sun.
> >
> > One would think that universities in particular,
> > which pride themselves on having advanced
> > knowledge of state of the art skills, would band
> > together in various consortia to pool resources
> > and "eat their own dog food" as it were.  A
> > school that teaches medicine actually practices
> > medicine (the "teaching hospital").  Shouldn't
> > schools that teach computer science and
> > business administration actually walk the talk
> > in some way?  Maybe many of them do, I don't
> > actually know.
> >
> > To outsource something so core to one's business,
> > to pay licensing fees while not having the power
> > to make design modifications, just seems more
> > than a tad on the ironic side.  It's like a bank
> > outsourcing everything it does around money.
> >
> > I realize not every college or university wants to
> > reinvent the wheel around something so basic,
> > but I do wonder to what extent there's some
> > open source sharing going on, around these core
> > utilities.  Are universities so competitive they
> > won't share?  So does that mean they all pay
> > the same licensing fees to use the same
> > private vendor offerings?
> >
> > I remember Zope / Plone and SchoolTool.
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SchoolTool
> >
> > Is there something even more comprehensive
> > that's out there, suitable for college and university
> > use?  Does it come in modularized components?
> > Is it an over-the-web database?
> >
> > Or do few if any universities really eat their own
> > dog food?
> >
> > Like I say, I'm new to this business, just trying
> > to get oriented.
> >
> > Kirby

> Edward Mokurai (默雷/धर्ममेघशब्दगर्ज/دھرممیگھشبدگر ج) Cherlin
> http://www.earthtreasury.org/

Re: open source admin in academia? (editorial)

Jarrod Millman
Hello,

There are several open source, community developed projects
widely-used in higher ed.  For example, moodle is a widely-used course
management system:
  http://moodle.com/
Sakai is another course management system for use in higher ed:
  http://sakaiproject.org/
The Jasig consortium provides several applications used in higher ed:
  http://www.jasig.org/

The following, while not specifically focused on higher ed, are also
widely deployed in higher ed environments:
  http://roundcube.net/
  http://squirrelmail.org/
  http://www.list.org/
  http://www.isc.org/software/bind

Best,
Jarrod

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 10:31 PM, Jarrod Millman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> There are several open source, community developed projects
> widely-used in higher ed.  For example, moodle is a widely-used course
> management system:
>  http://moodle.com/
> Sakai is another course management system for use in higher ed:
>  http://sakaiproject.org/
> The Jasig consortium provides several applications used in higher ed:
>  http://www.jasig.org/
>
> The following, while not specifically focused on higher ed, are also
> widely deployed in higher ed environments:
>  http://roundcube.net/
>  http://squirrelmail.org/
>  http://www.list.org/
>  http://www.isc.org/software/bind
>
> Best,
> Jarrod

Thank you Jarrod, exactly the kind of doorway into this topic
I was looking for.  You've saved me some time.

Here's a random example of a commercial vendor and all
with a list of features I'm wondering if some universities
supply themselves (in-house), and/or what's out there
that's open source (perhaps with support services).

http://www.verdexsoft.net/university-software.htm

I'm seeing dribs and drabs.

I notice Yale invented Centralized Authentication Service (CAS)
and that Princeton is involved somehow.  Berkeley DB is from
Berkeley, used in OpenLDAP (originally from Umich).

These kinds of things.  Maybe there's a whole literature
I've yet to unearth.

I like to see universities taking the lead in some way...
(they call it "non-commercial"), eating their own dog food.

Same thing with hospitals.  They seem to not want to
develop much inhouse, even for research -- or maybe
I've not been inside the right hospitals?   You'd think
the open source ethic and health care would be more
hand in glove.

Then you get a bevy of commercial companies offering
expertise with these open source tools, e.g.:

http://www.unicon.net/company/about#Domain_Expertise

Note: Oracle now owns Berkeley DB and has put the Sqlite3 API
in front of it (as an option).  Costs big bucks looks like.

Kirby

PS:  I came across this useful discussion on Dr. Chuck's blog
(he posts here sometimes -- we met at Pycon2009 in
Chicago).

Reading:
http://scholarworks.umass.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1000&context=opensource

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 04:34, kirby urner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I like to see universities taking the lead in some way...
> (they call it "non-commercial"), eating their own dog food.
>
> Same thing with hospitals.  They seem to not want to
> develop much inhouse, even for research -- or maybe
> I've not been inside the right hospitals?   You'd think
> the open source ethic and health care would be more
> hand in glove.

MUMPS (Massachusetts General Hospital Utility Multi-Programming
System), now sometimes just M, is the basis for the VA and DoD
hospital systems. it was taken to Free Software via the Freedom of
Information Act, and is now available as openVistA. This is a full
medical system suite, with more than 200 modules for imaging, medical
records, billing, pharmacy, and so on. M is unusual among programming
languages for including its own database engine. Its more recent
competitor is OpenMRS (Open Medical Records System) being developed
for Partners in Health in Haiti and other such organizations. Harvard
has a hand in its development.

> Kirby
>
> PS:  I came across this useful discussion on Dr. Chuck's blog
> (he posts here sometimes -- we met at Pycon2009 in
> Chicago).
>
> Reading:
> http://scholarworks.umass.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1000&context=opensource

http://www.earthtreasury.org/

Re: open source admin in academia? (editorial)

kirby urner-4
Ah yes, MUMPS.  I have some history around that one.  It haunts me.

Poor Haiti.

Kirby

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 3:30 PM, kirby urner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm becoming more aware of the fact that one
> reason universities need to charge those
> tuitions is to pay licensing fees to private
> vendors who provide them with such basic
> services as the ability to store and schedule
> classes, record student enrollment and grades,
> record instructors etc.  The catalog needs to
> be published on-line.  There might be a lot
> of extended education options, e.g. non-credit
> courses open to anyone willing to sign up.

Of course it takes time/energy to develop such software
no matter who is doing it.

If a university can afford a system architect and to pay
developers, fine.

I know Reed College had an ad in the paper for
Open Source Developer (PHP centric).  But that doesn't
mean the fruits of this labor are shared with a wider
community (might not be relevant).

"Open source" may just mean that the tools themselves
are open (e.g. a LAMP stack), not that anything developed
is going to escape the silo.

> Some of these proprietary programs are pretty
> old, lack features departments need, and so
> various intermediating applications grow up
> around the edges to fill in the gaps.

I interviewed this system architect from a large community
college and he talked about how their in-house people
used to run everything to do with admin (courses,
enrollment, scholarships, instructor compensation...)
using FORTRAN on a mainframe.

Over time, components were modernized, moved to
other technologies.

Just before he left, the school signed on with a major
vendor.  He said this was a result of some political
wheeling and dealing and that the in-house people
were still using their own systems, but stuffing data
into the vendor product to keep the politicians happy
in some way.  The vendor product was quite lame in
the opinion of most staffers.

> Maybe the big dino system doesn't record
> student evaluations for example, or keep track
> of which courses are in the pipeline, but still
> haven't found a place in the sun.

This is a real life situation I'm facing.  To make up for
what's missing in the vendor product, they have a
one-of-a-kind custom application written in FoxPro.

FoxPro has been a rather popular language in the
Microsoft world, though Microsoft has tended to be
ambivalent about it (competes with Access, is in
so many ways better than Access).  The decision
was to not commit to any VFP 10 (no more releases),
while putting most developer tools into Codeplex
(the "shared source" repository).

Some FoxPro developers decided to code a development
environment that was rather similar, in Python.  That's
Ed Leaf and Dabo.  I've been to a couple of his talks,
shared Vietnamese food in Washington DC that time.
In any case, the concepts are all familiar if you do
RDBMS.  Xbase, originally developed in connection
with some JPL satellite project (interesting lore) had
it's own non-SQL way of talking to tables though --
with SQL grafted on later.

> One would think that universities in particular,
> which pride themselves on having advanced
> knowledge of state of the art skills, would band
> together in various consortia to pool resources
> and "eat their own dog food" as it were.  A
> school that teaches medicine actually practices
> medicine (the "teaching hospital").  Shouldn't
> schools that teach computer science and
> business administration actually walk the talk
> in some way?  Maybe many of them do, I don't
> actually know.

That seems a boldly correct statement on the
face of it maybe, but I've been listening to the
counter-arguments.

One smart exec I know put it this way:

"a university's main mission is to prepare a large
number of students for entry level positions
in various professional walks of life,

NOT to write sophisticated software that tries to
compete with Microsoft Word -- it takes a
veritable army to write industrial grade code,

and who's got that kind of time or resources
within academia?"

> To outsource something so core to one's business,
> to pay licensing fees while not having the power
> to make design modifications, just seems more
> than a tad on the ironic side.  It's like a bank
> outsourcing everything it does around money.

As another co-worker put it, universities won't lean
on something so nebulous as an "open source
community" if that means there's no one on the
hook to hold accountable if something goes wrong.

This is the chief advantage of having a vendor:  if
the system breaks, there's someone specific to call.
In the eyes of your supervisors, you've done all you
need to do:  report the problem and keep the pressure
on.  People on some other payroll are responsible.

One alternative is to get into a finger pointing war
as to which component is to blame and who
the maintainer might be.  This is the stereotyped
picture of the open source world, fed by some
vendors.  If something breaks, no one knows who
to contact.  You're dead in the water without a
service contract.

>From one of Microsoft's own memos:

As far as forming a partnership with a third-party
is concerned, we've heard from a number of
large FoxPro customers that this would make
it impossible for them to continue to use
FoxPro since it would no longer be from
an approved vendor. We felt that putting
the environment into open source on
CodePlex, which balances the needs of
both the community and the large customers,
was the best path forward."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_FoxPro

That's another stereotype of open source I'm
afraid:  a hodge podge of older / used technologies,
maybe on their way out, every dime extracted,
and so now given away to the community for the
die-hards to "maintain" for free (good luck to 'em).

Is that what's happening with MUMPs I wonder?

> I realize not every college or university wants to
> reinvent the wheel around something so basic,
> but I do wonder to what extent there's some
> open source sharing going on, around these core
> utilities.  Are universities so competitive they
> won't share?  So does that mean they all pay
> the same licensing fees to use the same
> private vendor offerings?

Putting on my idealistic hat again, I'm imagining
universities as throbbing centers of innovation.

Rather than simply point students to Facebook,
Youtube, Blogger and Flickr as ways to build one's
ePortfolio (as I was hearing about at the recent
AAPT meeting (physics teachers)), the university
itself could have it's own social networking tools.

Student organizing and collaboration would be
all that much easier because some of the brightest,
freshest minds were doing custom project
development in-house.  A senior thesis may be
increasingly something multi-media that needs
to run (as in execute).  The possibilities, for an
art scholar, would depend in part on what the
art school might provide, in the way of electronic
infrastructure.

Music schools need good instruments.  As a
metaphor, that works in computing.

Hot new ideas would germinate in the university
(like Linux did) and then feed the larger community.
The liberal arts perspective means lowering
barriers to entry across the board.  MIT's
OpenCourseware is indicative of this commitment.

> I remember Zope / Plone and SchoolTool.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SchoolTool
>
> Is there something even more comprehensive
> that's out there, suitable for college and university
> use?  Does it come in modularized components?
> Is it an over-the-web database?

Nothing has come to my attention so far.

There's no GLOBAL U app written in Django, ready
for download and customization, complete with
Students, Courses, Sections, Instructors, TAs,
Scholarships, Supplies, Catalog, Users, Security...
all the myriad relational tables and modules it'd take
to turn this into a complete system, with maybe
PostgreSQL for a back end (or another).

I do think it'd be a boost for a university's reputation
to have a lot of self sufficiency around its core
business.  Students could learn about the guts of
the very systems that are used to run the university.

Of course the actual data is protected in various
ways (open source does not mean open data), but
with pseudo-data students could work on enhancing
and documenting in a collaborative environment.
The mandate to "follow your curiosity" should extend
into the heart of whatever system you're into, no?

Learning how a university works is a great lesson
in microcosm management, and could be a key
to community development across the board,
given how schools are akin to villages or towns
(with sprawling network components, given
distance education).

Learn about the guts of a university in your formative
years, and maybe you'll become a system architect
for some semi-utopian oasis in a beleaguered world
(yes, more inspiring rhetoric).

> Or do few if any universities really eat their own
> dog food?
>
> Like I say, I'm new to this business, just trying
> to get oriented.
>
> Kirby

My tentative conclusion so far is a lot of universities
were among the first to have mainframes and these
were put to use to run the universities, a way of
paying their own way (mainframes were and are
quite expensive).

What's happened more recently though, is as these
first generations retire, more core functions are being
outsourced to external vendors.  Large cultural tides
are at work.

Another conclusion I've reached, and maybe this is
well known in management circles, is that it would
behoove large (and smaller) institutions to chronicle
in-house lore, with an emphasis on the choices of
technology.

I'm getting some hits on Google (how self-documenting
is Google (the company)?).

This would be retrospective / historical information
and not just "eyes only" to a few executives.

A liberal arts institution, and/or a government of/by/for
the people, might aim to be especially transparent in
its operations as a matter of self definition and long
term accreditability.

Kirby

More ruminations:
http://controlroom.blogspot.com/2010/07/book-of-lore.html

Re: open source admin in academia? (editorial)

Jurgis Pralgauskis-3
http://openobject.com/ (openERP) is also a spreading framework, which
could be applied in edu,
for now there is a goog example for public sector with
http://medical.forge.osor.eu/

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Jarrod Millman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> There are several open source, community developed projects
> widely-used in higher ed.  For example, moodle is a widely-used course
> management system:
>  http://moodle.com/
> Sakai is another course management system for use in higher ed:
>  http://sakaiproject.org/
> The Jasig consortium provides several applications used in higher ed:
>  http://www.jasig.org/
>
> The following, while not specifically focused on higher ed, are also
> widely deployed in higher ed environments:
>  http://roundcube.net/
>  http://squirrelmail.org/
>  http://www.list.org/
>  http://www.isc.org/software/bind
>
> Best,
> Jarrod

Jurgis Pralgauskis
tel: 8-616 77613;
Don't worry, be happy and make things better ;)
http://kompiuterija.pasimokom.lt