paren-deactivate

Andreas Röhler-2

Hi,

with my Emacsen corresponding parentheses are
highlighted also in python-mode, which doesn't seem of
much use there.

Editing python-code I see two more useful alternatives:

- deactivate it per default.

- get the beginning of block/function/class
  highlighted, if cursor is at the end (and vice versa)

Any suggestions?

Andreas Röhler

Re: paren-deactivate

Skip Montanaro-3

    Andreas> with my Emacsen corresponding parentheses are highlighted also
    Andreas> in python-mode, which doesn't seem of much use there.

I rely on it all the time.  Complex if expressions, nested function calls,
mixing dicts, lists, tuples.  All provide ample opportunity to screw up
paren balancing.  The visual feedback is quite useful, at least to me.

My preference would be to leave it as-is.

Skip

Re: paren-deactivate

Jeff Bauer
[hidden email] wrote:
> My preference would be to leave it as-is.

+1.  While not up to lisp-y levels, I also find it useful with
nested tuples/functions, esp. if they span multiple lines.

-Jeff

Re: paren-deactivate

Barry Warsaw

Re: paren-deactivate

Andreas Röhler-2
Barry Warsaw wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2009, at 8:43 AM, Jeff Bauer wrote:
>
>> [hidden email] wrote:
>>> My preference would be to leave it as-is.
>
>> +1.  While not up to lisp-y levels, I also find it useful with
>> nested tuples/functions, esp. if they span multiple lines.
>
> I'll add my own +1.  I rely on it all the time.
>
> Barry

Thanks a lot all answering so quickly.

Andreas Rohler