possibility of Dan Roberts speaking on PyPy for our May meeting

possibility of Dan Roberts speaking on PyPy for our May meeting

jim-258

    The PyPy mini-sprint at Noisebridge in March
yielded the possibility that Dan Roberts could talk
about PyPy at the BayPIGgies May meeting.
    What's your interest?

Re: possibility of Dan Roberts speaking on PyPy for our May meeting

Steve Piercy
On 4/10/11 at 6:11 PM, [hidden email] (jim) pronounced:

>     The PyPy mini-sprint at Noisebridge in March
> yielded the possibility that Dan Roberts could talk
> about PyPy at the BayPIGgies May meeting.
>     What's your interest?

I'd be interested.

--steve

Re: possibility of Dan Roberts speaking on PyPy for our May meeting

Shannon -jj Behrens
On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 6:11 PM, jim <[hidden email]> wrote:
>    The PyPy mini-sprint at Noisebridge in March
> yielded the possibility that Dan Roberts could talk
> about PyPy at the BayPIGgies May meeting.
>    What's your interest?

I saw the talk at the SF Python Meetup, but I'm still +1 because I
assume other people didn't.

-jj

--
In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Re: possibility of Dan Roberts speaking on PyPy for our May meeting

Ademan
Hi Shannon,
    I can certainly try to cover different material, after the
requisite introduction to PyPy of course. The JIT is definitely among
the more exciting aspects of PyPy, but there are certainly other
areas, like building other language interpreters, plugging in a new
GC, maybe modifying Python semantics, or even CPyExt, the CPython API
compatibility layer, which I've done a lot of work on (probably not
the most generally interesting topic). I could focus on one particular
JIT optimization, such as Antonio Cuni's work to make ctypes super
fast (in progress), or Håkan Ardo's unrolling optimization. I'd love
to present on the particular aspect of PyPy that makes people at
Baypiggies excited :-) Currently I've been planning on presenting a
basic introduction and talking about the JIT in general and touching
on other language interpreters, since that doesn't seem to get much
love in PyPy talks.

Cheers,
Dan