preparations at CERN

Benedikt Hegner
Hi all!

Some comments and information from the local organizers on epc2006:

Rooms and infrastructure:
- rooms are booked and confirmed.
- we prebooked open space for that and need to confirm it.
- we have prepared network for conference and sprints and some
conference printers.
- for registraiton we need the MAC addresses of the laptops to make
our live easier. The CERN IT is a little bit peculiar with that.
- at CERN you get access cards. I prepared special ones with the EPC
logo. We have to fix the numbers of cards to print. No problem if
there are to few - then we just get the normal ones.

Website:
- I propose using the INDICO software project funded by the EU. There
is a group at CERN willing to support us. (http://indico.web.cern.ch/
indico/index.html). What's your opinion?

PR:
- we could print conference posters in our print shop but we need
someone to design it.
- since you can get T-shirts at CERN and at every conference I
propose conference coffee cups. I have plenty of conference shirts
but I don't wear them at all.
- in the next CERN courier will be an article about Europython. (CERN
courier is a journal which is read by most of the particle physicists)

Tracks and talks:
- Should we have a poster session?
- I would like to have a talk about CERN and the role of CERN in
physics and computing science. Is there time for that?

Fees and registration:
- we have to decide the conference fees soon.
- if there are people from outside EU or Schengen needing  a visa
they should register early enough that CERN has time to help with that.

That's all for the moment.

Cheers
Benedikt

--
Benedikt Hegner, DESY FLC
Notkestr. 85, D-22607 Hamburg

at  CERN:
Office: 32/4b-20
Phone: +41 (0)22 767 6487
Fax:   +41 (0)22 782 8923

Re: preparations at CERN

Michael Hudson
Benedikt Hegner <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi all!
>
> Some comments and information from the local organizers on epc2006:
>
> Rooms and infrastructure:
> - rooms are booked and confirmed.
> - we prebooked open space for that and need to confirm it.
> - we have prepared network for conference and sprints and some
> conference printers.
> - for registraiton we need the MAC addresses of the laptops to make
> our live easier. The CERN IT is a little bit peculiar with that.

People will whinge about this however we play it, but we should try to
make sure people are forewarned.

> Website:
> - I propose using the INDICO software project funded by the EU. There
> is a group at CERN willing to support us. (http://indico.web.cern.ch/
> indico/index.html). What's your opinion?

Well, in principle the idea of having someone else do the work appeals
to me.  There are some obvious caveats though:

- is this something we can use for EP2007, ... ?

- does it basically work?  If hand-holding and baby-sitting are
  required, I'd rather hold the hand of software we wrote.

I'm also a little unsure what "using" this software involves.  Would
we install it on our own machine, or get some kind of account on a
machine at CERN?

> PR:
> - we could print conference posters in our print shop but we need
> someone to design it.

Traditionally this sort of thing has been done by Vincent Maton but I
don't know if he's still around/willing to do this...

> - since you can get T-shirts at CERN and at every conference I
> propose conference coffee cups. I have plenty of conference shirts
> but I don't wear them at all.

Me too...

> - in the next CERN courier will be an article about Europython. (CERN
> courier is a journal which is read by most of the particle physicists)
>
> Tracks and talks:
> - Should we have a poster session?

I'm not sure about this.  If I had something interesting I wanted to
present that didn't merit a full talk, I'd probably angle for a
lightning talk, not a poster.  But other opinions may vary.

> - I would like to have a talk about CERN and the role of CERN in
> physics and computing science. Is there time for that?

I'm sure we can make time :)  Talk to Nicolas, I guess.

> Fees and registration:
> - we have to decide the conference fees soon.

How soon?  I guess timeline and budget should be very firmly on the
agenda for the next #europython meeting (which will be on the 23rd of
January, btw).  I would like to avoid having anything to do with the
budget :)

Cheers,
mwh

--
  What the semicolon's anxious supporters fret about is the tendency
  of contemporary writers to use a dash instead of a semicolon and

Re: preparations at CERN

Nicolas Chauvat
> > - I would like to have a talk about CERN and the role of CERN in
> > physics and computing science. Is there time for that?
>
> I'm sure we can make time :)  Talk to Nicolas, I guess.

If talking in the Science track is fine with you, consider yourself
accepted as a speaker and please tell us everything we ever wish we
knew about Python at CERN :)

--
Nicolas Chauvat

logilab.fr - services en informatique avancĂ©e et gestion de connaissances

Re: preparations at CERN

Aiste Kesminaite

Re: preparations at CERN

Benedikt Hegner

On 10.01.2006, at 18:20, Aiste Kesminaite wrote:

>> Tracks and talks:
>> - Should we have a poster session?
>
> I have no strong opinion about that but would lean to the lightning
> talks fulfilling this need.
>
> One more thing related to tracks and talks -- there was a discussion
> about changing track chairing format -- i.e. there was a suggestion to
> not have one person who chairs the whole track during the
> conference but
> rather have several people do it so no one would have to spend the
> whole
> conference or most of it just in one track.
>
> Taking care of choosing talks for a particular track prior to the
> conference would still be done by one or a few people responsible for
> that track.
>
> What do people think about this change?
+1

It's common for other conferences to split it up in that way. And it
makes perfectly sense.

Cheers
Benedikt

Re: preparations at CERN

Michael Hudson
Aiste Kesminaite <[hidden email]> writes:

>> Tracks and talks:
>> - Should we have a poster session?
>
> I have no strong opinion about that but would lean to the lightning
> talks fulfilling this need.
>
> One more thing related to tracks and talks -- there was a discussion
> about changing track chairing format -- i.e. there was a suggestion to
> not have one person who chairs the whole track during the conference but
> rather have several people do it so no one would have to spend the whole
> conference or most of it just in one track.
>
> Taking care of choosing talks for a particular track prior to the
> conference would still be done by one or a few people responsible for
> that track.
>
> What do people think about this change?

It makes sense to me.

In other news, I'd like to have an IRC meeting for people considering
being track chairs (in the before-the-conference sense) sometime in
the next couple of weeks.  As a strawman, I'd like to propose this
Friday (the 13th) at 1500 GMT (so 1600 for those on the continent).

Cheers,
mwh

--
  MARVIN:  Oh dear, I think you'll find reality's on the blink again.

Re: preparations at CERN

Aiste Kesminaite
> In other news, I'd like to have an IRC meeting for people considering
> being track chairs (in the before-the-conference sense) sometime in
> the next couple of weeks.  As a strawman, I'd like to propose this
> Friday (the 13th) at 1500 GMT (so 1600 for those on the continent).

I will be travelling this week and most likelly will not be online at
any predictable time. Any time from 18:00 GMT next Tuesday (the 17th) is
good for me.

--
Aiste Kesminaite
Managing director, Programmers of Vilnius

Re: preparations at CERN

Laura Creighton

My scientist friends are very used to poster sessions, and say they
like them.  If we expect CERN to draw a substantial number of
scientists, this might be friendly.  Also, why either/or?  Have
posters _and_ give a lightning talk....

Laura

Re: preparations at CERN

Aroldo Souza-Leite
Michael Hudson schrieb:

>Aiste Kesminaite <[hidden email]> writes:
>

>>>Tracks and talks:
>>>- Should we have a poster session?
>>>

>>I have no strong opinion about that but would lean to the lightning
>>talks fulfilling this need.
>>
>>One more thing related to tracks and talks -- there was a discussion
>>about changing track chairing format -- i.e. there was a suggestion to
>>not have one person who chairs the whole track during the conference but
>>rather have several people do it so no one would have to spend the whole
>>conference or most of it just in one track.
>>
>>Taking care of choosing talks for a particular track prior to the
>>conference would still be done by one or a few people responsible for
>>that track.
>>
>>What do people think about this change?
>>

>It makes sense to me.
>
>In other news, I'd like to have an IRC meeting for people considering
>being track chairs (in the before-the-conference sense) sometime in
>the next couple of weeks.  As a strawman, I'd like to propose this
>Friday (the 13th) at 1500 GMT (so 1600 for those on the continent).
>
>Cheers,
>mwh

I'm not sure I'll have learned how to hook myself onto this
abovementioned IRC object till the next session, but I'll try.
In any case, if there is anything an utterly untechnical person could to
in the preparation phase, I'm ready. For instance, taking care of the
Education Track again would be allright with me, if there is going to be
one.

Cheers,

Aroldo.

Re: preparations at CERN

Paul Everitt

On Jan 10, 2006, at 6:43 PM, Michael Hudson wrote:

> Aiste Kesminaite <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>>> Tracks and talks:
>>> - Should we have a poster session?
>>
>> I have no strong opinion about that but would lean to the lightning
>> talks fulfilling this need.
>>
>> One more thing related to tracks and talks -- there was a discussion
>> about changing track chairing format -- i.e. there was a
>> suggestion to
>> not have one person who chairs the whole track during the
>> conference but
>> rather have several people do it so no one would have to spend the
>> whole
>> conference or most of it just in one track.
>>
>> Taking care of choosing talks for a particular track prior to the
>> conference would still be done by one or a few people responsible for
>> that track.
>>
>> What do people think about this change?
>
> It makes sense to me.

+1 from me also.  Track chair does preparation beforehand, track
hosts manage presentations the day of the conference.

> In other news, I'd like to have an IRC meeting for people considering
> being track chairs (in the before-the-conference sense) sometime in
> the next couple of weeks.  As a strawman, I'd like to propose this
> Friday (the 13th) at 1500 GMT (so 1600 for those on the continent).

I'll be traveling that day, FWIW.

--Paul

Re: preparations at CERN

Michael Hudson
Aiste Kesminaite <[hidden email]> writes:

>> In other news, I'd like to have an IRC meeting for people considering
>> being track chairs (in the before-the-conference sense) sometime in
>> the next couple of weeks.  As a strawman, I'd like to propose this
>> Friday (the 13th) at 1500 GMT (so 1600 for those on the continent).
>
> I will be travelling this week and most likelly will not be online at
> any predictable time. Any time from 18:00 GMT next Tuesday (the 17th) is
> good for me.

So it seems that this week isn't a good time for the meeting, and the
latter half of next week is not good for the PyPyers because of our
review.  This pushes the track chair chat back beyond the next general
meeting, so let's talk about it there.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  Worryingly, DEFUN appears to be a function that removes all the
  fun from something: after using it all your code is converted

Re: preparations at CERN

Michael Hudson
Aroldo Souza-Leite <[hidden email]> writes:

> I'm not sure I'll have learned how to hook myself onto this
> abovementioned IRC object till the next session, but I'll try.
> In any case, if there is anything an utterly untechnical person could to
> in the preparation phase, I'm ready. For instance, taking care of the
> Education Track again would be allright with me, if there is going to be
> one.

If by "taking care" you mean going and finding talks, that sounds
great!

Cheers,
mwh

--
  <Aardappel> this "I hate c++" is so old
  <dash> it's as old as C++, yes

Re: preparations at CERN

M.-A. Lemburg
> One more thing related to tracks and talks -- there was a discussion
> about changing track chairing format -- i.e. there was a suggestion to
> not have one person who chairs the whole track during the conference but
> rather have several people do it so no one would have to spend the whole
> conference or most of it just in one track.
>
> Taking care of choosing talks for a particular track prior to the
> conference would still be done by one or a few people responsible for
> that track.
>
> What do people think about this change?

FWIW: We've done that for the Python Framework track last year
and it worked out great.

The only question that came up was how to treat the track chairs
vs. the hosts with respect to the conference fee. We chose to
simply sign up as speaker or standard attendee (most hosts were
speakers).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 18 2006)
>>> Python/Zope Consulting and Support ...        http://www.egenix.com/
>>> mxODBC.Zope.Database.Adapter ...             http://zope.egenix.com/
>>> mxODBC, mxDateTime, mxTextTools ...        http://python.egenix.com/

Re: preparations at CERN

M.-A. Lemburg
Benedikt Hegner wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Some comments and information from the local organizers on epc2006:

Could you remind us on the dates ?

Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 18 2006)
>>> Python/Zope Consulting and Support ...        http://www.egenix.com/
>>> mxODBC.Zope.Database.Adapter ...             http://zope.egenix.com/
>>> mxODBC, mxDateTime, mxTextTools ...        http://python.egenix.com/

Re: preparations at CERN

Benedikt Hegner
Mon 3 July to Wed 5 July.
And the sprints are from 30 June to 9 July.

Cheers
Benedikt

> Benedikt Hegner wrote:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> Some comments and information from the local organizers on epc2006:
>
> Could you remind us on the dates ?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Marc-Andre Lemburg
> eGenix.com
>
> Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 18
> 2006)

Re: preparations at CERN

M.-A. Lemburg
Benedikt Hegner wrote:
> Mon 3 July to Wed 5 July.
> And the sprints are from 30 June to 9 July.

Thank you !