private sip 5 for pyqt?

William Kyngesburye
I'm updating my Qt stack, but ran into the private sip problem again with sip 5.  I'm building all PyQt stuff from scratch because I want to link to an installed Qt and want control over the target system (macOS).

First, I found that the simple pip install does NOT install private.  So I'm building it as I normally do.  But the build system has changed for sip - instead on configure.py, it now has a setup.py, and there are no options for setting the private PyQt.sip module.

How do I build a private sip 5?

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"This is a question about the past, is it? ... How can I tell that the past isn't a fiction designed to account for the discrepancy between my immediate physical sensations and my state of mind?"

- The Ruler of the Universe

Re: private sip 5 for pyqt?

William Kyngesburye
Sorry, more details:

It's not PyQt where I'm having the private sip problem.  It's PyQt3D.  PyQt compiled successfully with default sip 5 install.

Maybe PyQt3D needs updating for the new sip?

On Nov 29, 2019, at 10:45 AM, William Kyngesburye <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm updating my Qt stack, but ran into the private sip problem again with sip 5.  I'm building all PyQt stuff from scratch because I want to link to an installed Qt and want control over the target system (macOS).

First, I found that the simple pip install does NOT install private.  So I'm building it as I normally do.  But the build system has changed for sip - instead on configure.py, it now has a setup.py, and there are no options for setting the private PyQt.sip module.

How do I build a private sip 5?

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"This is a question about the past, is it? ... How can I tell that the past isn't a fiction designed to account for the discrepancy between my immediate physical sensations and my state of mind?"

- The Ruler of the Universe

-----

"We can die but once, and that once we must die.  To be always fearing, then, would not avert it, and would make life miserable."

- Tarzan, on death

Re: private sip 5 for pyqt?

Phil Thompson-5
On 29/11/2019 16:54, William Kyngesburye wrote:
> Sorry, more details:
>
> It's not PyQt where I'm having the private sip problem.  It's PyQt3D.
> PyQt compiled successfully with default sip 5 install.
>
> Maybe PyQt3D needs updating for the new sip?

Maybe a description of the commands run and the error?

Phil

Re: private sip 5 for pyqt?

William Kyngesburye
(error is when trying to build PyQt3D, but error comes from PyQt)

I installed sip with pip.  so no private PyQt sip.

For PyQt 5.13.2:

python3 configure.py --spec=macx-clang

make & install OK

For PyQt3D 5.13.1:

python3 configure.py --spec=macx-clang
Error: Unable to import PyQt5.QtCore. Make sure PyQt5 is installed.

not a very helpful error - PyQt IS installed.

I started python3 and tried to load PyQt5.QtCore as the PyQt3d configure is doing:

from PyQt5 import QtCore
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'PyQt5.sip'

On 29/11/2019 20:21, William Kyngesburye wrote:
> (error is when trying to build PyQt3D, but error comes from PyQt)
>
> I installed sip with pip.  so no private PyQt sip.

A private sip module is created by sip v5, not included with it. See...

https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/static/Docs/sip/examples.html#package-projects
https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/static/Docs/sip/command_line_tools.html#sip-module

> For PyQt 5.13.2:
>
> python3 configure.py --spec=macx-clang
>
> make & install OK
>
> For PyQt3D 5.13.1:
>
> python3 configure.py --spec=macx-clang
> Error: Unable to import PyQt5.QtCore. Make sure PyQt5 is installed.
>
> not a very helpful error - PyQt IS installed.

Python doesn't make the distinction between a module that cannot be
imported and one that isn't installed.

> I started python3 and tried to load PyQt5.QtCore as the PyQt3d
> configure is doing:
>
> from PyQt5 import QtCore
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'PyQt5.sip'

If you are still wanting to use configure.py then you need to install
the private sip module first.

Phil

Re: private sip 5 for pyqt?

William Kyngesburye
On Nov 29, 2019, at 4:52 PM, Phil Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 29/11/2019 20:21, William Kyngesburye wrote:
(error is when trying to build PyQt3D, but error comes from PyQt)
I installed sip with pip.  so no private PyQt sip.

A private sip module is created by sip v5, not included with it. See...

https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/static/Docs/sip/examples.html#package-projects
https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/static/Docs/sip/command_line_tools.html#sip-module

OK, but how do I build sip 5 as a private module for PyQt?  As I stated in the first email, the sip 5 source does not have configure.py.  It's now setup.py, and I don't see the --sip-module option to create the private sip.

-----
William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos*at*kyngchaos*dot*com>

"Oh, look, I seem to have fallen down a deep, dark hole.  Now what does that remind me of?  Ah, yes - life."

- Marvin

Re: private sip 5 for pyqt?

Phil Thompson-5
On 30/11/2019 01:26, William Kyngesburye wrote:

> On Nov 29, 2019, at 4:52 PM, Phil Thompson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 29/11/2019 20:21, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>>> (error is when trying to build PyQt3D, but error comes from PyQt)
>>> I installed sip with pip.  so no private PyQt sip.
>>
>> A private sip module is created by sip v5, not included with it.
>> See...
>>
>> https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/static/Docs/sip/examples.html#package-projects
>> https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/static/Docs/sip/command_line_tools.html#sip-module
>>
> OK, but how do I build sip 5 as a private module for PyQt?  As I
> stated in the first email, the sip 5 source does not have
> configure.py.  It's now setup.py, and I don't see the --sip-module
> option to create the private sip.

As it suggests in the docs I linked to...

     sip-module --sdist PyQt5.sip
     pip install PyQt5_sip-12.7.9.tar.gz

Phil

Re: private sip 5 for pyqt?

William Kyngesburye
Ah?  Maybe that's where the confusion is.  The old install routine has changed.

What I was looking for:

download sip source
build and install (private for PyQt)
build projects (PyQt, ...)

Now it's:

install sip[build], to get the tools (download and install in one step, with pip)
install the private sip for PyQt with the sipbuild tools
build projects

now, the sip source (or binaries) is not really sip, for a project, but the tools to make a sip for a project, or more simply- I need to install sip to install sip.  This is not clear in the documentation (note that I'm not the developer of a project, I'm just building and installing/packaging it, so stuff that looks purely developer oriented doesn't get my attention).