problem with Python <==> emacs communication (On solaris, both emacs & xemacs)

problem with Python <==> emacs communication (On solaris, both emacs & xemacs)

Marc Massar
Hi,

I have some problems using py-shell or running python in a shell in emacs (under solaris). I wonder if someone would have an idea of what is happening. Some things work, some don't. I'll try to give as many details as I can.

The problem:

The issue is that py-shell does not return doing some command. E.g. I will get:
Python 2.6 (r26:66714, Dec 23 2009, 15:54:18)
>>> print 'asdf'

and the point will stay at the line below the >>>. If I C-c C-c, I get
>>> print 'asdf'
  C-c C-c
KeyboardInterrupt

and I can try again. Typing quit() does not do anything, but sending an EOF (C-c C-d) kills the python process.

I get the same behavior when running python from the command line from a shell within emacs (M-x shell). Using python -i, or python -u does n to help.

But my setup is not completely bad, many things work:
- Out of emacs, python works fine.
- Inside a M-x shell:     python -c "print 'asd' "      works.
- If I do not have a py-shell, then py-execute-buffer and py-execute-region work. If I have a py-shell open, then in the shell I get
>>> ## working on region in file /tmp/python-26710Kvg.py...
and no output.
- py-execute-string does not seem to work: no matter what string I give it (even junk), I don't get any output; inthe minibuffer I get a message: (Shell command succeeded with no output)
- run-python (the python shell from python.el) works fine.

All these these have been done with emacs 23.1.1 and xemacs 21.4, both run with -q, and loading python-mode.el manually (to be sure that it is not my .emacs settup the is messing things up).

Any help in solving this issue would be appreciated.

Marc

Re: problem with Python <==> emacs communication (On solaris, both emacs & xemacs)

Andreas Röhler-2
Marc Massar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have some problems using py-shell or running python in a shell in
> emacs (under solaris). I wonder if someone would have an idea of what is
> happening. Some things work, some don't. I'll try to give as many
> details as I can.
>
> The problem:
>
> The issue is that py-shell does not return doing some command. E.g. I
> will get:
> Python 2.6 (r26:66714, Dec 23 2009, 15:54:18)
> [GCC 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-46)] on linux2
>

> and the point will stay at the line below the >>>. If I C-c C-c, I get
>   C-c C-c
> KeyboardInterrupt
>>>>

> and I can try again. Typing quit() does not do anything, but sending an
> EOF (C-c C-d) kills the python process.
>
> I get the same behavior when running python from the command line from a
> shell within emacs (M-x shell). Using python -i, or python -u does n to
> help.
>

> But my setup is not completely bad, many things work:
> - Out of emacs, python works fine.
> - Inside a M-x shell:     python -c "print 'asd' "      works.
> - If I do not have a py-shell, then py-execute-buffer and
> py-execute-region work. If I have a py-shell open, then in the shell I get
> and no output.
> - py-execute-string does not seem to work: no matter what string I give
> it (even junk), I don't get any output; inthe minibuffer I get a
> message: (Shell command succeeded with no output)
> - run-python (the python shell from python.el) works fine.

Hi,

would assume something coming across between python.el and python-mode.el

Make sure, python-mode.el is loaded.

> All these these have been done with emacs 23.1.1 and xemacs 21.4, both
> run with -q, and loading python-mode.el manually (to be sure that it is
> not my .emacs settup the is messing things up).
>
> Any help in solving this issue would be appreciated.
>
> Marc

M-x py-shell here calls

IPython ... -- An enhanced Interactive Python.

which is a great tool IMHO but needs being installed.

Maybe installing it delivers a work-around for your problem too?

https://launchpad.net/ipython

Andreas

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/python-mode
https://code.launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/

Re: problem with Python <==> emacs communication (On solaris, both emacs & xemacs)

Marc Massar
Hi,

After passing some time comparing how python-mode.el and python.el create the Python interpreter, I figured out that if I (setq process-connection-type nil) in python-mode-hook, then everything work fine.

Marc