problems with ipython 0.10 autocompletion and interactive plotting

problems with ipython 0.10 autocompletion and interactive plotting

Daniel Platz
Hello!

I have some problems with ipython which I do not really understand, I
installed ipython 0.10 together with Python 2.6 on Windows 7. This
installation was no problem and I can also run ipython. However, there
are two problems.

The autocompletion seems not to work with external packages. For
example, if I use the pylab option, type "l" and press tab nothing
happens. It seems that only when there is one possibility left the
completion works, i.e. it completes "linspa" to "linspace". So it does
not show other options for completion.

The second problem concerns plotting with matplotlib. From the shell I
can plot as usually. When I run a script with some plotting commands,
ipython does not return from a "show" command. Instead I have to close
the plot window and then I can use ipython again.

I looked into the documentation but I have no idea what these problems
can really be due to. I am thinking that it could be a problem that I
run windows 7 with 64 bit. But I have the same setup running on
another windows 7 64 bit computer and there it works like a charm.
Could there be a problem with pyreadline? How can I check this? Or
went something wrong during the configuration in the first ipython
run? I would be very glad if someone has an idea about the described
problems.

Thanks in advance

Daniel

Re: problems with ipython 0.10 autocompletion and interactive plotting

Ryan Krauss-2
I have the same problem with having to close the plots when running a
script after a recent install in Windows XP.  I suspect that changing
the default matplotlib backend may solve this problem, but I haven't
tried it yet.  It would be great if there was some other solution that
just worked out of the box.

Ryan

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 5:23 AM, Daniel Platz
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have some problems with ipython which I do not really understand, I
> installed ipython 0.10 together with Python 2.6 on Windows 7. This
> installation was no problem and I can also run ipython. However, there
> are two problems.
>
> The autocompletion seems not to work with external packages. For
> example, if I use the pylab option, type "l" and press tab nothing
> happens. It seems that only when there is one possibility left the
> completion works, i.e. it completes "linspa" to "linspace". So it does
> not show other options for completion.
>
> The second problem concerns plotting with matplotlib. From the shell I
> can plot as usually. When I run a script with some plotting commands,
> ipython does not return from a "show" command. Instead I have to close
> the plot window and then I can use ipython again.
>
> I looked into the documentation but I have no idea what these problems
> can really be due to. I am thinking that it could be a problem that I
> run windows 7 with 64 bit. But I have the same setup running on
> another windows 7 64 bit computer and there it works like a charm.
> Could there be a problem with pyreadline? How can I check this? Or
> went something wrong during the configuration in the first ipython
> run? I would be very glad if someone has an idea about the described
> problems.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Daniel

Re: problems with ipython 0.10 autocompletion and interactive plotting

Ryan Krauss-2
In the distant past, TkAgg matplotlib backend solved any issues like
this.  That is not the case for me currently.

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Ryan Krauss <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have the same problem with having to close the plots when running a
> script after a recent install in Windows XP.  I suspect that changing
> the default matplotlib backend may solve this problem, but I haven't
> tried it yet.  It would be great if there was some other solution that
> just worked out of the box.
>
> Ryan
>
> On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 5:23 AM, Daniel Platz
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I have some problems with ipython which I do not really understand, I
>> installed ipython 0.10 together with Python 2.6 on Windows 7. This
>> installation was no problem and I can also run ipython. However, there
>> are two problems.
>>
>> The autocompletion seems not to work with external packages. For
>> example, if I use the pylab option, type "l" and press tab nothing
>> happens. It seems that only when there is one possibility left the
>> completion works, i.e. it completes "linspa" to "linspace". So it does
>> not show other options for completion.
>>
>> The second problem concerns plotting with matplotlib. From the shell I
>> can plot as usually. When I run a script with some plotting commands,
>> ipython does not return from a "show" command. Instead I have to close
>> the plot window and then I can use ipython again.
>>
>> I looked into the documentation but I have no idea what these problems
>> can really be due to. I am thinking that it could be a problem that I
>> run windows 7 with 64 bit. But I have the same setup running on
>> another windows 7 64 bit computer and there it works like a charm.
>> Could there be a problem with pyreadline? How can I check this? Or
>> went something wrong during the configuration in the first ipython
>> run? I would be very glad if someone has an idea about the described
>> problems.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Daniel

Re: problems with ipython 0.10 autocompletion and interactive plotting

Ryan Krauss-2
My suspicion is that the blocking of show is really a matplotlib
problem.  It seems that there were major changes to the behavior of
show in matplotlib 1.0.0.  But I don't think what we are seeing is
what is supposed to happen.

Ryan

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 7:37 PM, Ryan Krauss <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In the distant past, TkAgg matplotlib backend solved any issues like
> this.  That is not the case for me currently.
>
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Ryan Krauss <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have the same problem with having to close the plots when running a
>> script after a recent install in Windows XP.  I suspect that changing
>> the default matplotlib backend may solve this problem, but I haven't
>> tried it yet.  It would be great if there was some other solution that
>> just worked out of the box.
>>
>> Ryan
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 5:23 AM, Daniel Platz
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I have some problems with ipython which I do not really understand, I
>>> installed ipython 0.10 together with Python 2.6 on Windows 7. This
>>> installation was no problem and I can also run ipython. However, there
>>> are two problems.
>>>
>>> The autocompletion seems not to work with external packages. For
>>> example, if I use the pylab option, type "l" and press tab nothing
>>> happens. It seems that only when there is one possibility left the
>>> completion works, i.e. it completes "linspa" to "linspace". So it does
>>> not show other options for completion.
>>>
>>> The second problem concerns plotting with matplotlib. From the shell I
>>> can plot as usually. When I run a script with some plotting commands,
>>> ipython does not return from a "show" command. Instead I have to close
>>> the plot window and then I can use ipython again.
>>>
>>> I looked into the documentation but I have no idea what these problems
>>> can really be due to. I am thinking that it could be a problem that I
>>> run windows 7 with 64 bit. But I have the same setup running on
>>> another windows 7 64 bit computer and there it works like a charm.
>>> Could there be a problem with pyreadline? How can I check this? Or
>>> went something wrong during the configuration in the first ipython
>>> run? I would be very glad if someone has an idea about the described
>>> problems.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>>
>>> Daniel

Re: problems with ipython 0.10 autocompletion and interactive plotting

Ryan Krauss-2
I am sorry to send you so many emails on this subject.  I asked the
question about show() blocking execution on the matplotlib mailing
list.  Apparently, this is a known issue that has been fixed in svn.

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 10:40 PM, Ryan Krauss <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My suspicion is that the blocking of show is really a matplotlib
> problem.  It seems that there were major changes to the behavior of
> show in matplotlib 1.0.0.  But I don't think what we are seeing is
> what is supposed to happen.
>
> Ryan
>
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 7:37 PM, Ryan Krauss <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> In the distant past, TkAgg matplotlib backend solved any issues like
>> this.  That is not the case for me currently.
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Ryan Krauss <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I have the same problem with having to close the plots when running a
>>> script after a recent install in Windows XP.  I suspect that changing
>>> the default matplotlib backend may solve this problem, but I haven't
>>> tried it yet.  It would be great if there was some other solution that
>>> just worked out of the box.
>>>
>>> Ryan

Re: problems with ipython 0.10 autocompletion and interactive plotting

Ryan Krauss-2
This should be my last email on this subject.  This suggestion from
the mpl list solved my blocking issue:

Ryan: you could try matplotlib-1.0.0.svn.win32-py2.6.exe from
http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#matplotlib .It was built this
morning from svn.

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 9:10 AM, Ryan Krauss <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am sorry to send you so many emails on this subject.  I asked the
> question about show() blocking execution on the matplotlib mailing
> list.  Apparently, this is a known issue that has been fixed in svn.
>
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 10:40 PM, Ryan Krauss <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> My suspicion is that the blocking of show is really a matplotlib
>> problem.  It seems that there were major changes to the behavior of
>> show in matplotlib 1.0.0.  But I don't think what we are seeing is
>> what is supposed to happen.
>>
>> Ryan
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 7:37 PM, Ryan Krauss <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> In the distant past, TkAgg matplotlib backend solved any issues like
>>> this.  That is not the case for me currently.

Re: problems with ipython 0.10 autocompletion and interactive plotting

Daniel Platz
Thanks for your comment. I downgraded to matplotlib 0.99.3 and the
plotting works now.

Nevertheless, I still cannot use tab completion. I suppose I have some
trouble with pyreadline but cannot really figure out what's the
problem. Has anyone an idea about this or can point me in some
direction?

Best regards,

Daniel

2010/8/11 Ryan Krauss <[hidden email]>:

> This should be my last email on this subject.  This suggestion from
> the mpl list solved my blocking issue:
>
> Ryan: you could try matplotlib-1.0.0.svn.win32-py2.6.exe from
> http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#matplotlib .It was built this
> morning from svn.
>

> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 9:10 AM, Ryan Krauss <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am sorry to send you so many emails on this subject.  I asked the
>> question about show() blocking execution on the matplotlib mailing
>> list.  Apparently, this is a known issue that has been fixed in svn.
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 10:40 PM, Ryan Krauss <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> My suspicion is that the blocking of show is really a matplotlib
>>> problem.  It seems that there were major changes to the behavior of
>>> show in matplotlib 1.0.0.  But I don't think what we are seeing is
>>> what is supposed to happen.
>>>
>>> Ryan

Re: problems with ipython 0.10 autocompletion and interactive plotting

Jörgen Stenarson-2
Daniel Platz skrev 2010-07-31 12:23:

> Hello!
>
> I have some problems with ipython which I do not really understand, I
> installed ipython 0.10 together with Python 2.6 on Windows 7. This
> installation was no problem and I can also run ipython. However, there
> are two problems.
>
> The autocompletion seems not to work with external packages. For
> example, if I use the pylab option, type "l" and press tab nothing
> happens. It seems that only when there is one possibility left the
> completion works, i.e. it completes "linspa" to "linspace". So it does
> not show other options for completion.

I do not see this problem on windows xp, python 2.6, ipython 0.10,
pyreadline 1.5 or 1.6.
I get a full list of completions already when there is only l on the line:

In [2]: l
lambda                  logical_or              loglog
list                    longlong                longest_ones
locals                  logaddexp               longdouble
len                     left_shift              longcomplex
license                 logaddexp2              less
long                    log2                    lexsort
lapack_lite             little_endian           load
longest_contiguous_ones ldexp                   lognormal
loads                   lookfor                 logical_and
logseries               logical_xor             log
l2norm                  liaupunov               log10
legend                  locator_params          linalg
levypdf                 logical_not             log1p
less_equal              longfloat               logspace
l1norm                  lstsq                   ldir
loadtxt                 logistic                ls
linspace                laplace

In [2]: lin
linspace linalg

In [2]: lin

/Jörgen

Re: problems with ipython 0.10 autocompletion and interactive plotting

Skipper Seabold
Jörgen Stenarson <jorgen.stenarson <at> bostream.nu> writes:

> Daniel Platz skrev 2010-07-31 12:23:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I have some problems with ipython which I do not really understand, I
> > installed ipython 0.10 together with Python 2.6 on Windows 7. This
> > installation was no problem and I can also run ipython. However, there
> > are two problems.
> >
> > The autocompletion seems not to work with external packages. For
> > example, if I use the pylab option, type "l" and press tab nothing
> > happens. It seems that only when there is one possibility left the
> > completion works, i.e. it completes "linspa" to "linspace". So it does
> > not show other options for completion.
> >

> I do not see this problem on windows xp, python 2.6, ipython 0.10,

I am also seeing this problem.  I am not very familiar with Windows, but I am on
 Windows 7, Python 2.7 64-bit.  IPython (64-bit) and pyreadline were installed
from these binaries:

http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/

Skipper